So Blybo your asking me to feed 720p into the Darbee is that right? then see how much its improved or otherwise? isn't most of the SD from Foxtel that quality? if yes then its better "popped" for sure with the Darbee

what is the output signal of the foxtel. Is it native to the signal or does it do like most STB's and you choose the output resolution unless of course it is set to auto.

If unsure then can test via Oppo with a blu-ray and set oppo output resolution to 720p.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Darbee is not a resolution enhancer and does not require 1080 to work, no reason it should not work well with 720.

Foxtel - Austar HD is 1080, probably 1440x1080. It may be better to set the Foxtel box to 1080 output and put the Darbee between the Fox box and the projector so the projector can do the down scaling.

If thats the case they are pre filtering HD just like they do SD to make it easier to compress, the result looks more like 1440x1080 at best, and thats being generous.

I only view Foxtel-Austar on my 70" TV, its just not good enough for a larger projection screen and no where near Bluray quality.

I'm in no hurry to pick up a Darbee, I'll wait for the issues to be sorted out before I purchase. If I could process Foxtel -Austar the way I do Bluray on the PC I would not be interested at all.

So Blybo your asking me to feed 720p into the Darbee is that right? then see how much its improved or otherwise? isn't most of the SD from Foxtel that quality? if yes then its better "popped" for sure with the Darbee

Other way round actually. To be specific, connect it between 4311's HDMI out and display, then set the resolution of your display to 720p and feed it HD & SD Foxtel as per usual and do a comparison with the Darblet on and off.

Other way round actually. To be specific, connect it between 4311's HDMI out and display, then set the resolution of your display to 720p and feed it HD & SD Foxtel as per usual and do a comparison with the Darblet on and off.

Lol, the display is a 1080p display. It will upscale everything to 1080p, there is no way to stop it!!

Lol, the display is a 1080p display. It will upscale everything to 1080p, there is no way to stop it!!

1080p native, yes. Would it not be display dependent on whether they can down scale or pass through? My only 1080p display is the 32" LED/LCD in the bedroom and I've never really played with that.

If you set the Fox box to 720p thats all its will output, subsequent upscaling will not add any resolution.

The Darbee should do the much the same for 720p as it does for 1080 as its a contrast enhancer, it should even help SD if not used too aggressively.

Got my Darbee today. Did some quick testing and am very pleased at the results. Improvements are most notable on still images (for comparison) and can make the original picture look very soft

Will do some more testing, especially on Foxtel HD sports channels, but very happy so far

I've had mine for close to a week now, watched it with several bluray movies on the Epson tw9000 and tried various settings but in the end decided I didn't like the effect much so I'm sending it back for a refund.

Argh I have to report that my 63" Sammy Plasma is no more screen blown = $1550 repair bill if I cannot get Samsung to weigh in, unit is 19 months old, don't know if this has anything to do with the Darbee

Now that sucks. Can't be the Darbee unless the HDMI port is blown then there could be a possibility, though highly unlikely.

If it is the actual screen or board that drives the screen then it is just bad luck or a bad component.

Can't see Samsung coming to the party as they are not known for their service.

• 1 month later...

Just found out about these things. Any positive experiences with them? Can they be purchased in Australia?

I dont bel you can get them in Aust just yet, but if your interested in one check out the For sale Section I bel their is a forum member who is selling one through here by Ebay..

Just found out about these things. Any positive experiences with them? Can they be purchased in Australia?

Dave the use of these is going to depend upon how you like your Monitor (TV) appearance. If you set you picture up as Soft then forget it, but if apparent more detail and a apparent finer focus are your thing then go for it, mine's worked faultlessly since I installed it over a couple of months ago and as we're watching Foxtel mostly it definitely an improvement over their SD transmissions etc If you ask nicely and are near a user now they may give you the chance to see it in operation, I will for example..

Edited by agelessgoodguy

All very interesting... I guess as someone who didn't mind the PQ on Predator, then this thing probably would appeal. Do any of you happen to use it with a Kuro? That's the main thing I'm worried about - can it make a difference to a good TV? I'd love to try one first, but I reckon I'd be lucky if there was one in Hobart!

All very interesting... I guess as someone who didn't mind the PQ on Predator, then this thing probably would appeal. Do any of you happen to use it with a Kuro? That's the main thing I'm worried about - can it make a difference to a good TV? I'd love to try one first, but I reckon I'd be lucky if there was one in Hobart!

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/video-processors/video-processors-reviews/darbee-darblet-dvp5000-video-processor/all-pages.html

This is an interesting review of the darbee and it did mention something about Kuro TV with darbee.

The TV-projector used has no influence on the performance of the Darbee. A Ho Phong, a Pioneer, a JVC, a Sony, the improvement or otherwise will be much the same.

The size of the screen will have the greatest influence on the result.

Edited by Owen

Kuro's dont use much internal sharpening and like most displays what sharpening there is can be disabled, so the user can balance display sharpening with Darbee sharpening to suit their needs

The Kuro's will look much the same as any other Plasma with a Darbee, be that good or bad.

Well, yes ... if you turn off any internal processing of the image that will be the case .... not exactly what you said to begin with though.

If the user cant be bothered adjusting their display for the best result they should not be considering a Darbee, its not a plug it in, turn it on solution.

With that in mind I stand by me original statement.

I am not advocating the Darbee and dont plan on purchasing one myself.

Edited by Owen

Come on mate, you cant just plug it in, turn it on and get good results. You MUST adjust it, just like you MUST adjust the display for best results.

Just about if not all displays have a sharpness control, it should be turned to minimum as a first step, then after finding the best setting for the Darbee it may be possible to add some display sharpening back in.

Sharpening systems where a hobby of mine for many years and I have seen many example photos of what the Darbee does to the image and its nothing revolutionary. However what it does is different to what the sharpness control in displays normally does to the image, the two approaches interact and too much of either is not good, however they can be used together in moderation.

The key to success with sharpening is not to strive for an obviously sharp look as that ends up looking harsh and artificial.

Once you have used one Owen, I may take you seriously on the subject, until then you are speculating based on no experience with the product at all.

My comments about you expecting members to have ESP in regards to these posts still applies.

chops I tend to find it easier to just ignore comments from those whom quite obviously have never ever seen something theyre talking about let alone clearly never experienced. We got to experience it at the last gtg which most posted back on. and yep from what could see with in use the thing is pretty much plug and play. Pretty easy to use. nothing more to it :)