The Song Game

Last night I grabbed a couple of LPs from the 'S' section of the collection (my records are still alphabetically organised, not chronologically or 'socially', as in 'Hi Fidelity' movie :))...

Michelle Shocked - SHORT SHARP SHOCKED (1988), still enjoy Memories of East Texas, Anchorage...great album cover.

Bruce Springsteen - NEBRASKA, raw talent, no frills.

Bruce Springsteen - TUNNEL OF LOVE, love this album, have 3 or 4 copies, can't decide if/why the Canadian pressing sounds better/different than my US ones. Have never realised that the cover photos were by Annie Leibovitz.

last night

Bob Dylan - Tell Tale Signs (Bootleg Series Vol 8) - "Cross The Green Mountain" would have to be one of the best songs Bob has ever written!

Buddy Miller - The Majestic Strings- Just arrived and not quite what I was expecting. I need to give it few more plays to get a feel for it.

Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die - Remastered deluxe cd edition and may have remastered a bit to loud! Seems to be a common thing with a lot of remastered titles.

kiwizig;148981 wrote:
Buddy Miller - The Majestic Strings- Just arrived and not quite what I was expecting. I need to give it few more plays to get a feel for it.

Had a few listens to samples on Amazon and as you say doesn't sound like a typical Buddy Miller record.

Since I have everything else I guess I'll get it at some stage, maybe a grower and always hard to judge by sound bites.

Surprised it hasn't had a vinyl release.

Cooksferry;148984 wrote:
Had a few listens to samples on Amazon and as you say doesn't sound like a typical Buddy Miller record.

Since I have everything else I guess I'll get it at some stage, maybe a grower and always hard to judge by sound bites.

Surprised it hasn't had a vinyl release.

There are a lot of duets on it and it doesn't sound like a typical Buddy Miller album but as you say it may grow on me.

I travelled to Christchurch for the Memorial Service, which had too much godliness but not enough God, and passed the morning after at Penny Lane Records. The instantaneous physical deconstruction of one's childhood - well, that's how it felt - put me in a nostalgic mood so I happily grabbed two adolescent favourites on vinyl: 'Songs for Beginners' by Graham Nash and 'The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get' by Joe Walsh. Today, looking over the Pacific Ocean from my Purakanui haven, I played one after the other. I feel young.

So far today on vinyl;

PJ Harvey-let england shake. Delivered this morning, but sounds good on 1st listen

Kate Bush- the kick inside. Picked up for $10 2nd hand in very good nick. Hadn't heard this for ages, but it makes you realise what a huge influence her music has been. Got the family doing some expressive dancing!

CD;

Laura Marling- i speak because i can

Cooksferry;148962 wrote:
I've got around 20 Oldham/Palace/BPB lps and Summer in the Southeast would be in the top three. He covers quite a few of his better know songs and it does rock quite well at times with some nice grungy guitar work.

Always keep a digital copy on whatever portable device I happen to have.

I also have a fondness for Sings Greatest Palace Music which many of his hardcore fans find too mainstream in the arrangements but it has a real classic country feel which isn't too surprising given the use of top Nashville session men.

Must check out Sings Greatest Palace Music

Owen Y;148980 wrote:
Last night I grabbed a couple of LPs from the 'S' section of the collection (my records are still alphabetically organised, not chronologically or 'socially', as in 'Hi Fidelity' movie
:)
)...

Michelle Shocked - SHORT SHARP SHOCKED (1988), still enjoy Memories of East Texas, Anchorage...great album cover.

Bruce Springsteen - NEBRASKA, raw talent, no frills.

Bruce Springsteen - TUNNEL OF LOVE, love this album, have 3 or 4 copies, can't decide if/why the Canadian pressing sounds better/different than my US ones. Have never realised that the cover photos were by Annie Leibovitz.

Nebraska is my NUMBER ONE Bruce LP. But I am yet to own that pristine keeper copy, despite many searches and many copies later.

maxgate;148987 wrote:
I travelled to Christchurch for the Memorial Service, which had too much godliness but not enough God, and passed the morning after at Penny Lane Records. The instantaneous physical deconstruction of one's childhood - well, that's how it felt - put me in a nostalgic mood so I happily grabbed two adolescent favourites on vinyl: 'Songs for Beginners' by Graham Nash and 'The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get' by Joe Walsh. Today, looking over the Pacific Ocean from my Purakanui haven, I played one after the other. I feel young.

Two of my earlier favourites,still like them now,foldout cover of The Smoker you drink?Happy Ways with its great percussion and the acoustic guitar really fly on this track ,my favourite.