Usb Wireless Dongle Compatibility With Samsung Tv

Hey all

Can anyone with the 3D LED or 3D Plasmas (Samsung) try a non-Samsung USB Wireless dongle to see if it works. I am not too fussed either way but I could probably get a generic USB Wireless stick a bit easier than the Samsung brand. I am currently waiting on a PS58C7000 :)

CHeers

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all

Can anyone with the 3D LED or 3D Plasmas (Samsung) try a non-Samsung USB Wireless dongle to see if it works. I am not too fussed either way but I could probably get a generic USB Wireless stick a bit easier than the Samsung brand. I am currently waiting on a PS58C7000 :)

CHeers

People in the US have posted on AVS saying that some non-Samsung wireless dongles do work with Samsung TVs

You need drivers in the TV that match the USB dongle otherwise they won't work.

Does anyone know what OEM brand Samsung wireless dongles are? Maybe you could try that brand generic dongle to see if it works

Hey all

CHeers

If you get the Blu ray player (the bonus with this TV) you don't need the USB dongle. the blu-ray comes with inbuilt wireless

If you get the Blu ray player (the bonus with this TV) you don't need the USB dongle. the blu-ray comes with inbuilt wireless

Yes. But then I would need to get a HDMI 1.4 cable for ethernet connection to TV I would assume. Just can't find a reasonable (and not horribly expensive) 15m HDMI 1.4 cable yet.

People in the US have posted on AVS saying that some non-Samsung wireless dongles do work with Samsung TVs

Cool. Do you happen to have a link ? It would make interesting reading.

EDIT. Just had a bit of a search and there are a few US only USB Wireless-N dongles which apparently work (Rosewill RNX-N1 which isn't made any more and Intellinet). But the chipset is RALINK RT2870+RT2820.

An equivalent available in Australia is the Netcomm NP745n. It can be found at MSY for $29.. I wonder if it works also. When I get my TV might give it a go. Would be a good equivalent to the $79-99 Samsung dongle.

Edited by soupratt

Note that you can't pass through the wireless connection from blu-ray to tv, even with hdmi 1.4. Confirmed by ringing samsung support as i wanted to do this. Apparently not even firmware can enable it - hardware issue.

Also asked re passing though full multi channel from blu-ray to tv optical out - no luck with that either.

• 4 weeks later...
Another option is to use a wireless bridge (connected to your wireless network) and have a network cable link from the bridge to the TV and/or BD player. Network bridges are pretty cheap.

I can happily report that I am using the Netcomm NP745n USB Wireless dongle with my PS58C7000 and it runs perfectly. Managed to pick it up from Clayton MSY for $29. Other MSY stores may have it also. Less than 1/2 the price of the generic Samsung dongle...

• 3 weeks later...

this might be a stupid question but if you have a samsung tv and BD player, if the dongle is installed on one device is the other able to detect it has a wireless dongle and use the wireless of that?

this might be a stupid question but if you have a samsung tv and BD player, if the dongle is installed on one device is the other able to detect it has a wireless dongle and use the wireless of that?

You can't 'pass through' from the BD Player to the TV, as posted above, and I would imagine it would be the same the other way round.

Andys.

I can happily report that I am using the Netcomm NP745n USB Wireless dongle with my PS58C7000 and it runs perfectly. Managed to pick it up from Clayton MSY for $29. Other MSY stores may have it also. Less than 1/2 the price of the generic Samsung dongle...

has anyone else used this and can confirm?

really contemplating getting it, but if it doesnt work on my la46b750 i have a unused wireless dongle

edit: doesnt look like they sell them anymore

Edited by tomee

If you're truly keen to get wireless going, have a read on the Samygo forums.

Basic vibe is that the Samsung dongle uses a pretty generic wireless chipset but the wireless module (linux base operating system on the TV) has been modified to only recognise the Samsung module specifically via its device ID or device string, or what-not.

Samygo have re-compiled said module to remove this restriction so all wireless dongles with the same chipset will work. Haven't tried myself but it looks straightforward enough to do.

If you're truly keen to get wireless going, have a read on the Samygo forums.

Basic vibe is that the Samsung dongle uses a pretty generic wireless chipset but the wireless module (linux base operating system on the TV) has been modified to only recognise the Samsung module specifically via its device ID or device string, or what-not.

Samygo have re-compiled said module to remove this restriction so all wireless dongles with the same chipset will work. Haven't tried myself but it looks straightforward enough to do.

hmm had a quick read and it required t hack your TVs firmware which im not willing to do :(

hmm had a quick read and it required t hack your TVs firmware which im not willing to do :(

well kind of.. the firmware itself isnt hacked - you would be required to open a terminal which can be done without hacking, then you are required to replace a kernel module with one compiled without the samsung only restrictions.

The firmware patch you are referring to is probably the avfix - this helps overcome a basic flaw in the samsung firmware that fails to check pixel aspect ratio on video files. Sadly Samsung are quite aware of this fault, could easily fix it, but would prefer to sell you a new tv than support last years model. Thank god for this 'hack', I use the media player regularly and am glad that someone is dedicated enough to the Samsung product range to make it work properly

Hi All,

Need some help.

I have a new Samsung 58inch 3D Plasma coupled with the redemption 3D Blu Ray Player BD-6900 (great TV, delivered price $2,600 Blu Ray received within 4 weeks of lodgement, got lucky I suppose).

I am trying to get the Samsung PC Share Manager to work, but for the life of me cannot get the "Share Device Policy" to see the wireless adapter the Blu Ray Unit has.

I can get Internet TV to work fine on the wireless set up I have with Naked DSL iiNet.

I have had 6 calls to Samsung Service and apart from none of them knowing that Blu Ray had the the wireless capability, they told me to get the Samsung Wireless Adapter as the Blu Ray Wireless cannot transmit from the PC to the TV via the Blu Ray (even though on page 57 of the instruction manual it says it can).

So, I have a Samsung Wireless LAN Adapter and a Wireless connection through the Blu Ray Player, both happily working the Internet TV capability (interesting that the two adapters list different Samsung Applications with the LAN Adapter showing less apps available, go figure).

I have pulled my hair out trying to get the PC Share Manager to see either of these 2 wireless devices, on 2 different laptops at home (1 runs Vista and the other runs XP).

I have Allowed my Firewall to accept the PC Share Manager programme, and reduced the internet service providers firewall level to minimum (it cannot be turned off completely). I have Shared the subdirectories for testing too (ie. 1 simple subdirectory with 1 simple file).

I am at the stage where I DO NOT believe the Share Manager programme actually works AT ALL.

I have upgraded the Firmware for the TV and the Blu Ray Player as well.

I have downloaded the current PS Share Manager Version 4.2 from the Plasma TV Download section for that specific TV.

I'd be grateful for any help with anyone who has actually got this share programme to work, otherwise I will have to send back the Blu Ray Player and Wireless LAN Adapter as the only conclusion I can come up with is that they DO NOT transmit to be seen as Wireless Devices to be seen on a Network.

Thanks in advance .............. RST.

Edited by Red Sea Tiger

Bump :)

Hi All,

Need some help.

I have a new Samsung 58inch 3D Plasma coupled with the redemption 3D Blu Ray Player BD-6900 (great TV, delivered price $2,600 Blu Ray received within 4 weeks of lodgement, got lucky I suppose).

I am trying to get the Samsung PC Share Manager to work, but for the life of me cannot get the "Share Device Policy" to see the wireless adapter the Blu Ray Unit has.

I can get Internet TV to work fine on the wireless set up I have with Naked DSL iiNet.

I have had 6 calls to Samsung Service and apart from none of them knowing that Blu Ray had the the wireless capability, they told me to get the Samsung Wireless Adapter as the Blu Ray Wireless cannot transmit from the PC to the TV via the Blu Ray (even though on page 57 of the instruction manual it says it can).

So, I have a Samsung Wireless LAN Adapter and a Wireless connection through the Blu Ray Player, both happily working the Internet TV capability (interesting that the two adapters list different Samsung Applications with the LAN Adapter showing less apps available, go figure).

I have pulled my hair out trying to get the PC Share Manager to see either of these 2 wireless devices, on 2 different laptops at home (1 runs Vista and the other runs XP).

I have Allowed my Firewall to accept the PC Share Manager programme, and reduced the internet service providers firewall level to minimum (it cannot be turned off completely). I have Shared the subdirectories for testing too (ie. 1 simple subdirectory with 1 simple file).

I am at the stage where I DO NOT believe the Share Manager programme actually works AT ALL.

I have upgraded the Firmware for the TV and the Blu Ray Player as well.

I have downloaded the current PS Share Manager Version 4.2 from the Plasma TV Download section for that specific TV.

I'd be grateful for any help with anyone who has actually got this share programme to work, otherwise I will have to send back the Blu Ray Player and Wireless LAN Adapter as the only conclusion I can come up with is that they DO NOT transmit to be seen as Wireless Devices to be seen on a Network.

Thanks in advance .............. RST.

+1...i used it when i bought the 55b8000 and also tried it again with my c8000 and it still is crap software...i lost my patience and used this instead...easy setup and easy to use...might be worth trying to make sure your devices are working correctly

http://www.serviio.org/

+1...i used it when i bought the 55b8000 and also tried it again with my c8000 and it still is crap software...i lost my patience and used this instead...easy setup and easy to use...might be worth trying to make sure your devices are working correctly

http://www.serviio.org/

Thanks for the link. I downloaded it and needed to update Java along the way. Unfortunately it is not seeing the devices, so what I will need to do is go into the Samsung Service Centre and have them show me how it works. I am not wasting my time over the phone on this one, it has already cost me nearly 24 hours in contact time, with 3 promised Call Backs registered and 0 received.

I guess I will need to post if I ever get it up and running.

Love the picture quality though.

Edited by Red Sea Tiger

Hi guys,

I'm interested in this subject also. I have a 58B550 and wanted to find a USB wireless dongle so that I could connect to my home network and then watch movies from my PC upstairs.

Anyone information or guidance on setting this up would be appreciated, would it be similar process to setting up the PS3 to the network.

Cheers

BB

Thanks for the link. I downloaded it and needed to update Java along the way. Unfortunately it is not seeing the devices, so what I will need to do is go into the Samsung Service Centre and have them show me how it works. I am not wasting my time over the phone on this one, it has already cost me nearly 24 hours in contact time, with 3 promised Call Backs registered and 0 received.

I guess I will need to post if I ever get it up and running.

Love the picture quality though.

I gave up as I could not find anyone who could show me that the All Share function actually works, at all on either the Samsung Wireless LAN adapter or the built in Wireless capability from the Blu Ray BD-C6900.

This is the first time I have been dissapointed with a Samsung product, so that's not bad. I took the LAN Adapter back to JB and bought 8 Blu Ray DVD's instead.

If someone gets the All Share function to work, I'll be amazed.

Oh, I tried the servio option but it didn't work as I don't believe the Samsung dongle or built in wireless in the Blu Ray don't transmit to be seen by other devices to be detectable. If I was better at the technical side I'd probably get a result, but this IS NOT plug and play by any stretch of the imagination.

Edited by Red Sea Tiger

Oh, I tried the servio option but it didn't work as I don't believe the Samsung dongle or built in wireless in the Blu Ray don't transmit to be seen by other devices to be detectable.

In case there was a simple config problem here , I got Serviio working with both the blueray & tv with no problems. I suspect they dont support the default Generic profile that serviio uses, I found that setting profile to Samsung C would allow the Tv to find the service, and set to Samsung B that both the TV + Bluray would find it. I had generally better success with MPC-HC on my htpc playing my files, which are mostly 720p/1080p mkv.

I used a wired connection, but as long as the TV or BR found the wireless & assigned an IP address you should get the same results.

The files I tried seemed to get Transcoded rather than played directly but looked fine. I am not srre what formats of video/audio are supported direclt to avoid the transcode, and as I had the htpc in place anyway i will just stick with that. but for anyone with media files & no other option it does seem to be a somewhat useful mechanism.