18" Twice! (JBL2245s) For Joz...aka... The Twins Of Pleasure.

Thanks for the links JA,yes some bedtime reading.

Mint has also let me know that Aranmar may take anything from 4-6 months to completethese one of projects :)

Rod if your out there,how long did your sub cabinets take??

Must be patient :)

Looks like a Chrissy pressie :):cool:

I wonder if we can generate a Tsunami for Port Phillip Bay :)

[/b]

A long time Joz - 3/4 months from memory. But once he starts they get done pretty quick. It's just hard getting him to start without showing up and I live 1 hour away from him so it was hard to get over there.

A long time Joz - 3/4 months from memory. But once he starts they get done pretty quick. It's just hard getting him to start without showing up and I live 1 hour away from him so it was hard to get over there.

[/b]

It’s only a matter of a week or so once he gets moving, Joz you’ve already got about one month up since the initial meeting, not long let to go (j/k) :biggrin:

It’s only a matter of a week or so once he gets moving, Joz you’ve already got about one month up since the initial meeting, not long let to go (j/k) :biggrin:

[/b]

AAArrrgghh!!! :)

Not quite like walking into a shop and saying I'll take that one.

Get home,plug and play. :blush:

• 2 months later...

Whoo hoo!!

My veneer has finally arrived and is now at Aranmar.

So here are some pics of the progress.

Bracesandfront.jpg

I can't believe it finally happenning.YIPPEE!!

Also another pic of the driver for scale.

The two subs will be side by side under th PJ screen and will be a total of 2.4 mters wide.

So at this stage the bracing is yet to go in as are the ports,which are huge.

• Like 1

Bloody hell, they are huge boxes :ohmy: but some how sexy :(

That veneer is going to look an absolute treat with a few coats of the good stuff :)

Can't wait to see the finished producted.

Those cabinets are extremely well made aren't they.. well done Aranamar.

I was Aranmar on Tuesday and John was pointing out those nice JBL drivers in his front room. He mentioned something about some bloke putting them in separate cabinets to go under a screen. I suspected it might be someone from this forum.

Good luck with the Aranmar boxes. He really does a nice job. The dog is friendly too!

Whoo hoo!! :biggrin:

My veneer has finally arrived and is now at Aranmar.

So here are some pics of the progress.

I can't believe it finally happenning.YIPPEE!! :biggrin:

Also another pic of the driver for scale.

The two subs will be side by side under th PJ screen and will be a total of 2.4 mters wide.

So at this stage the bracing is yet to go in as are the ports,which are huge. :ohmy:[/b]

Hello Joz,

Getting close now- start digging up the bass test tracks: Jurrasic Park I the early dessert scene with sonar/explosive and Madonna Vogue are 2 old favs for me.

Good Luck

Best

JA

Hello Joz,

Getting close now- start digging up the bass test tracks: Jurrasic Park I the early dessert scene with sonar/explosive and Madonna Vogue are 2 old favs for me.

Good Luck

Best

JA[/b]

Hehe I have some good ones for you Joz :biggrin:

I was Aranmar on Tuesday and John was pointing out those nice JBL drivers in his front room. He mentioned something about some bloke putting them in separate cabinets to go under a screen. I suspected it might be someone from this forum.

Good luck with the Aranmar boxes. He really does a nice job. The dog is friendly too![/b]

I think I know him... :wink:

So did you get to check out the boxes??

Hello Norpus-

Yes- you have a few dB dB dB......

Best

JA[/b]

When the boxes arrive I'm sure a few of you boys will be over. :biggrin:

John has just emailed me some more pics.

Thought I'd share them.

If all goes well they'll be at home by the end of the week.

Bracesandfront.jpg?t=1213939425

2boxesnearlyfinished.jpg

• Like 1

John has just emailed me some more pics.

Thought I'd share them.

If all goes well they'll be at home by the end of the week. :([/b]

Thats awesome news joz,

Wow that bracing looks pretty hard core. They are going to be heavy mofo's :) They are going to look sensational once finished ;)

Thats awesome news joz,

Wow that bracing looks pretty hard core. They are going to be heavy mofo's :( They are going to look sensational once finished :)[/b]

Just quitely,I'm getting excited now

Just quitely,I'm getting excited now :([/b]

Are you kidding me? I'm loudly excited for you!

Who did all the tech work for these Joz. That bracing and 4 ports must have taken a while to work out.

Thanks for the updates.

post-2465-133211663583_thumb.jpg

a picture for you

my wife won't let me convert the linen cupboard. :([/b]

Drooool!!

Now we're talking.

Drizt,not unstable at all..Just Big.

Hi Joz,

Congrats on your new toy as these will be some serious sounding and looking subs. I do have 3 questions I like to ask.

1. The veneer looks wonderful, are these the burled cut Bubinga veneer ?.

2. Looking at one of your earlier picture and correct me if I wrong, but it looks like they routered a V grove into a large sheet of already veneered piece of wood and with tape on the other side (to stop splitting) they then fold along that grove to form a 90 degree bend. This then keeps the same continuous wood grain pattern along each sides of the box. Is this right ? – if so then I must give it a try.

3. Why are some of the circular cut out in the bracing routered in should a way they look like it is flared ?

It is so inspiring just looking at these pictures, thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Michael.

Michael

the box is prepared on what is known as a V-cutter. It is a very long table that has adjustable stops along it.

You lay your prepared board on it, this case has been veneered,and also has edge veneer. The front and back edges have been rebated for the two baffles to fit in. The machine has a set of saws at 90 degrees to each other which can extend across the table. The table moves along and when the table reaches the preset stop the saws come across and cut the v shape you made out. The table then moves along to the next cut etc etc.

The saw height is very accurately adjustable, and it cuts away everything and 'just knicks' the tape which then allows you to fold the box with glue in the v-cuts and Bob is your uncle. The tape is not to prevent chipping from routering but to hold it together and provide a depth to cut to, and is obviously applied at all the v points prior to laying on the table. When the box has been folded you get all the corners (except one of course) with continuous wood grain, and perfectly formed front and back rebates, and the baffles then just drop in.

I seriously doubt you could get a repeatable accurate job using a router, and especially (for example) on a job of this thickness.

I do know how to tell you how to do cuts on a normal table saw if you'd like (although unlike the v-cut they grain is not continuous) but you will have mitred joints from pre veneered board. Let me know.