The "official" Olympics Discussion Thread

Just finished watching the opening too, not impressed with Southern Cross quality on HD here in Hobart just nasty on those bright colours.

Sounded like the first half was recorded with a tin can and a piece of string. For those of you who got to see it in HD lucky you - you had a choice. Here in regional NSW - MIA where our broadcast for Prime is delivered by WIN, we only get the option of an extremely poor SD version, highly pixelated and with picture breakup.

Here are two grabs, similar to the ones posted earlier in this thread.

Shame Shame Shame

eyetvsnapshotsq1.th.jpg

eyetvsnapshot1cw1.th.jpg

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounded like the first half was recorded with a tin can and a piece of string. For those of you who got to see it in HD lucky you - you had a choice. Here in regional NSW - MIA where our broadcast for Prime is delivered by WIN, we only get the option of an extremely poor SD version, highly pixelated and with picture breakup.

Here are two grabs, similar to the ones posted earlier in this thread.

Shame Shame Shame

eyetvsnapshotsq1.th.jpg

eyetvsnapshot1cw1.th.jpg

Some nice pics of caveman paintings there...lovely! ;)

Yes, other than the countless problems (idle chatter, lost commentary, misplaced ad breaks0, the event itself was great to watch and the camerawork moslty fantastic.

Maybe a great event and technically well executed, but I think it lacked emotion.

It never grabbed you, yes the amazing lcd screens were brilliant to watch and and the mass movement of people moving in unison was good to watch. But I was disappointed.

As for Sevens coverage - well they need to go back to broadcasting school, and I'm not sure who did the camera work but it could have been way better.

Some nice pics of caveman paintings there...lovely! ;)

Yes I pity those who have been to Harvey Normans here over the past weeks and grabbed their Full HD super huge wide screen plasma and LCD screens in the hope of seeing a better picture.

They would have been hugely disappointed, every problem with the broadcast quality would have been magnified. OUCH

Especially when the block heads at the retail store were telling everyone that PRIME was being broadcast in HD in the MIA - when it ain't and never will be.

As for Sevens coverage - well they need to go back to broadcasting school, and I'm not sure who did the camera work but it could have been way better.

Yeah, I was annoyed when they refused to take wide shots of the whole "stage" when people were moving in unison. Instead, they chose close-ups of the individuals, which took away from the spectacle.

But for the most part, they were ok. I enjoyed it, especially the ancient Chinese "type writer" (no idea of it's actual name), where the letters were popping up & down, creating patterns & symbols.

Yeah, I was annoyed when they refused to take wide shots of the whole "stage" when people were moving in unison. Instead, they chose close-ups of the individuals, which took away from the spectacle.

Good or bad that's not 7s doing. They get a world feed which they can add a couple of cameras too.

But for the most part, they were ok. I enjoyed it, especially the ancient Chinese "type writer" (no idea of it's actual name), where the letters were popping up & down, creating patterns & symbols.

That entire segment was phenomenal, and then right at the end all the performers just popped up from underneath! :excl:

Good or bad that's not 7s doing. They get a world feed which they can add a couple of cameras too.

Yeah good point. I'll re-direct my complaint to the world feeders then.

Watching the replay now, I don't think I saw this part last night, but the tai chi formations were stunningly accurate, forming perfect circles & running along side each other without colliding would've been a huge challenge.

Definitley not HD, no 7HD watermark logo, just plain old SD vanilla channel 7. You can tell aswell.

Were you watching through Southern Cross or some other regional? It was certainly HD, doesn't need a 7HD watermark to be HD. Either your city had a stuffed broadcast or your TV needs replacing.

The basketball looks quite good now, apart from the usual close shots (similar to TEN HD AFL) and the little red strip on Belarus that blocks up a little. Certainly an vast improvement over SD.

Edited by Sambo90

As far as im concerned channel seven should give the rights of the olympics to a professional broadcaster as for them stick to your crappy home & away and dancing with the stars.

PQ was crap not bad just crap even though they are supposed to be HD and sound well that's another story. Very dissapointing that we have to watch something great like the olympics on channel 7. hopefully we can all get toghether and make channel seven replace all burnt plasmas that have the stupid channel seven logo stuck to them.

Definitley not HD, no 7HD watermark logo, just plain old SD vanilla channel 7. You can tell aswell.
Your profile doesn't say where you are located? Are you a troll? After dozens here saying what an awesome picture it was (esp when flicking back to 7SD to compare), and you come here all high and mighty like you think you know what you are talking about.

I will provide a couple of HD caps a bit later (after I work out the good bits to copy off the Beyonwiz). I will properly de-interlace the images (well, actually, I will capture at a point with 0 movement in 2 frames, which might be a bit hard!)

What TV are you using to view it? Let me guess, you have a "HD ready Plasma" (in small print 720x480 resolution).

Regards

I have just noticed that SBS and seven are showing the same thing (cycling) with same commentator and feed.

Pretty stupid, hey? You'd think they would show different sports. The PQ on SBS is sooooo crappy compared to 7HD (in Melbourne at least).

First reaction is channel 7 is trying very hard to leave a mark behind, what the hell are they thinking

Two things I like about the opening ceremony, the footsteps fireworks leading into the stadium, and the taichi masters (and the later taichi group)...

So SD PQ is sub-par everywhere?? ..

As far as im concerned channel seven should give the rights of the olympics to a professional broadcaster as for them stick to your crappy home & away and dancing with the stars.

PQ was crap not bad just crap even though they are supposed to be HD and sound well that's another story. Very dissapointing that we have to watch something great like the olympics on channel 7. hopefully we can all get toghether and make channel seven replace all burnt plasmas that have the stupid channel seven logo stuck to them.

Most people here are happy with the job that's been done. All Seven are doing is broadcasting it, they didn't produce it at all.

The cycling looks great atm, imagine the tour in this HD quality? :)

@digitalj, it usually happens with most mobile broadcasts on vehicles, same happens on the tour.

Edited by Sambo90

Most people here are happy with the job that's been done. All Seven are doing is broadcasting it, they didn't produce it at all.

The cycling looks great atm, imagine the tour in this HD quality? :)

cycling where the picture freezes regularly and it's not a result of your TV Reception, i.e it's at the other end?

I am finding SD too hard to watch now during the olympics, with 7HD you can sit near the TV but SD you have to sit far away! Would be nice if SBS just moved to 720p

Also noticed some venues have different quality broadcasts, noticed with the volleyball the bitrate isn't so great!