Foxtel Owners & Discussion Thread

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im on the central coast, nsw..i dont think cable is avaliable..so will there be problems if i can only get satelite?

I can't see what sort of problems there would be being on a mountain, unless your specific location prevents clear line-of-sight to the Foxtel sat. See what the techie says - if it can't be installed I'm sure they won't charge you.

Im not worried about the charge - Its free anyway.

Im just hoping that its different this time around. Im actually below a mountain...but the thing is, Ive seen alot of other dishes pointing straight at trees, mountains etc and they have it hooked up..why did the tech not even bother to go on the roof to try?

Fingers crossed. :blink:

The angle of incidence of the beam from 156E (Optus C1) in your location is 50-51deg depending on your exact location, with an azimuth of around 9-10deg so if you lookup at an angle of 50deg in the northern sky can you see without obstuction, if so then all should be fine.

If you make a simple triangle with a piece of cardboard that has a base length of 100mm and a vertical length of 120mm (thus a hypotenuse of 156mm) then you will have a 50deg triangle. Hold this level, helps if you have a spirit level, and look up the hypotenuse, if you see clear sky roughly 9deg to the east of north (real north) then all should be ok.

Dont forget that KU band dishs are offset dishes, as such the LNB arm points some 20odd degrees below the angle of beam incidence.

Cyril

Hi - anyone able to help me out here?

I got foxtel installed last week. Looks like a UEC box (its got a sticker saying DN 1000 attached) so I presume its a UEC 1000? I'm connecting to a new Samsumg M81 LCD. Picture quality using the std Scart to Composite is pretty average so I bought a Scart to Component cable on the advice of the foxtel guy. Followed the instructions from foxtel to set up the component connection (changing the picture output from PAL to YUV) but the picture I get is shocking. I have reverted back to using my new cable as a composite output at this stage.

Any suggestions where I could be going wrong ?

Thanks to any good samaritans out there

Cheers

Z

Edited by zinc

Only thing I can suggest is to make sure you have the cable going from the TV scart and not the VCR scart.

Just reread your post. How can you revert to using your new cable (which presumably has 5 leads) as composite???

Things I would try:-

Make sure you select save settings after changing to YUV.

As Venus said make sure your using TV scart.

Make sure your plugging the component cables into correct sockets on TV.

Try the other component input on the TV.

Disconnect the composite cable (ie don't have both component and composite connected at same time).

Maybe even do a firmware update on the box.

Otherwise maybe you have dud cable or dud box.

Just reread your post. How can you revert to using your new cable (which presumably has 5 leads) as composite???

The Foxtel Scart to component cable has 6 (3 component 2 audio and 1 composite).

Things I would try:-

Make sure you select save settings after changing to YUV.

As Venus said make sure your using TV scart.

Make sure your plugging the component cables into correct sockets on TV.

Try the other component input on the TV.

Disconnect the composite cable (ie don't have both component and composite connected at same time).

Maybe even do a firmware update on the box.

Otherwise maybe you have dud cable or dud box.

The Foxtel Scart to component cable has 6 (3 component 2 audio and 1 composite).

Thanks guys- tried it all again (except for the firmware update) but still no joy. Maybe a dud cable but the fact that I can get composite working through the cable suggests its prob ok, and yes - it has 6 RCA outputs.

Very frustrating - do you reckon fox would be of any help if I called them? I mean - how do i determine if the box is a dud?

Cheers

Thanks guys- tried it all again (except for the firmware update) but still no joy. Maybe a dud cable but the fact that I can get composite working through the cable suggests its prob ok, and yes - it has 6 RCA outputs.

Wouldn't read anything into composite working. I am still assuming it is Foxtel branded Component cable. Try the cable at a mates place or return it if you bought it from dse and get another one. Yes call Foxtel its their box and their branded cable!

So if I get Foxtel hooked up now and buy a DVD recorder later, how easy will it be for me to set it up to record? I'm great at using technology but crap at setting it up!! :blink:

Setting up composite recording of Foxtel with a VCR or DVD recorder is very simple, you get a Scart to VCR type cable, see "Cable - Scart to VCR " in cable section of this FAQ and you will find Foxtel's PDF page of instructions (where it says VCR just substitute DVD recorder). Nearly all DVD recorders have at least RCA sockets for composite input and output.

Foxtel will usually supply such a cable if you have a VCR/DVD recorder at the time of installation, so if you have one collecting dust get it out.

Hi

1st time on this forum

I have just purchased a 56 "LG LDP Projection TV and currently have a Pace Microtechnology PLC Foxtel digital box model DC420NF.

Superb picture on free to air stations however when watching Foxtel the picture quality is garbage.

I purchased a scart to component adaptor and plugged in my monster component leads to the adaptor and ran the lead directly to the component In sockets on the back of the TV. The end result was a less than ordinary picture quality.

I suppose this question has been asked a thousand times but has anyone got any other ideas I could try to get a better result than I have now. Some will say just grin and bear and wait until Foxtel puts out a high definition digital Top box however until that happens I want to get the best possible picture quality available.

Appreciate any assistance and dont forget to include any changes I need to make to my Foxtel settings on the TV

thanks slugs

56 "LG LDP Projection TV

The end result was a less than ordinary picture quality.

I am assuming you have component set up correctly (see link in FAQ to instructions PDF). It should be sharper than a Foxtel composite signal and at least as good as S-Video.

You are probably talking about the effects of low bitrate/heavy compression Foxtel are using in order to fit all the channels on the satellite and cable space they are using, the bigger the display the more noticeable this is (especially in scenes with a lot of movement). It varies between channels, you should find Foxtel's Showtime channel of similar video quality to SD(standard definition) digital FTA(Free to Air). See ABC2 (lcn21) channel for a example of a lower bitrate digital FTA transmission.

I suggest you write a letter to Foxtel telling them what channels you find to be unacceptable. When they accept that a large number of their customers are now using 100+cm displays maybe they will increase the bitrate of the channels that most need it. It is totally in their hands as they can drop one or more of the +2 channels (or FBO) to provide the space.

You may be able to improve the display by adjusting settings of your TV (things realated to deinterlacing/line doubling/noise/scaling), the scaler is important to the end result so you may investigate a higher quality external scaler for some improvement but that can be very costly, see external scaler for Foxtel thread or do a search for "Foxtel scaler".

Foxtel have said they are going to introduce two or more HD channels by 2008 (requiring a STB upgrade (this will probably have its own internal upscaler for the SD channels but I doubt it will be a great one, your TV might do a better job with a HDMI connection)).

See this "Lousy Foxtel Picture Quality" thread for more http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=40628

My 20 cents worth, I am not a technician, so please excuse the simple language.

I have the Foxtel IQ connected via a scart to component cable, direct to the Sony LCD (video only)

Audio is connected via fibre optic from the Foxtel IQ to the Denon Receiver (it has the better DAC)

I also have the Foxtel IQ connected via a scart to component cable, direct to the Sony SD DVD Recorder

Audio is connected via fibre optic from the Foxtel IQ to the Sony SD DVD Recorder (the difference in DAC's is neglible)

The in built Sony LCD HD tuner is used for watching FTA HD transmissions

The Foxtel IQ is used for all other watching of SD transmissions (Foxtel and FTA)

I have compared the PQ between the FTA SD via the Sony tuner and via the Foxtel IQ. The FTA SD is slightly better PQ wise, but it is subject to the usual antenna reception problems (low flying aircraft, weather etc). So, on balance, the interference free Foxtel IQ watching experience is superior, plus I have the usual IQ recording features.

:D cheers :D

When I read about the Foxtel IQ on their site, it says the box only has SCART to RGB/SVideo/Composite which is, to be honest, shocking. Do you mean you hooked it up via RGB?

I haven't actually seen the box but I've been told it's all in one (although there's a faq suggesting they are separate?).

In any case, does anyone know if the Foxtel IQ boxes support Component? I've read it can do SCART to component and someone said it can't any longer. I'm also reading the quality isn't any better....

I'm hoping the quality is not as bad as I'm reading on here...it'll even be worse on a better/bigger TV.

Edited by Polymer

Foxtels site information is well out of date, the IQ as all other PACE standard STUs will output component video from their SCART connectors, and have done so for 2yrs or more.

Cyril

Thanks for the info! That's actually very good to hear. So then the next question is, how will it normally be delivered when they bring the IQ unit? Scart to composite? Should I purchase a Scart to Component adapter (I have my own Component cables..I think...if I brought them from overseas) or just get the Foxtel one?

Thanks,

Its said that a picture is worth a thousand words. So here's a few pictures.

The only change done to the pictures was to bump the brightness up to make the effect more obvious. Even so, it could be seen quite clearly in real time as the movie played.* As usual, the pictures are direct extracts from the MPEG2 video, no analogue stage was involved - so don't try that tired old line, Hosko.

*btw the movie sucked as do so many modern movies :rolleyes:

Guest nugget22

hey, i tried to start a new topic but it wouldnt let me :(

i just got fox and IQ installed on weds and they set it all up for me even so i can record on me DVD recorder :D

but i have found 1 problem the video and audio arnt in sync!

they used scart>>AV for both TV and DVD recorder and AV>>AV for DVD to IQ

is there anywhere in the setting that i can sync it up? the TV is an old type and only has AV

any help would be great

cheers

JoNo

I have 3 iQ's which are modulated to 3 channels around the house. The modulator supports IR but changing channel on one changes all of them. Is there any work around like changing the freq each box/remote uses? Its very frustrating.

Cheers

tugman

but i have found 1 problem the video and audio arnt in sync!

Don't know why it would be out of sync when you watch it directly with a cable from the Foxtel TV scart, unless your TV has a setting.

Does it happen on all channels?

Which STB is it? ( http://www.foxtel.com.au/6226.htm )

Have you rebooting or switching off/on it? ( http://www.foxtel.com.au/6226.htm )

Give Foxtel a call.

I have 3 iQ's which are modulated to 3 channels around the house. The modulator supports IR but changing channel on one changes all of them. Is there any work around like changing the freq each box/remote uses? Its very frustrating.

I don't know any easy way, although the remote might have 4 modes (see below), I don't know how to tell the box to only respond to one of them.

If you want to do it all through the existing cables you could also use something like this http://www.tvlink.co.uk/spc4.htm (Super Plus Combiner). It seems recent versions of their Sky+ (which is like our iQ) remote can be programmed to give an individual mode (which I assume their device detects and sends to the correct box)(see http://www.skyeye.force9.co.uk/eye8hfaq.htm A3 which lists a method to change to one of four modes). People have used sky+ remotes, see http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=31867. So maybe with a spc4 and two(+ existing) or three Skyplus remotes (assuming your iQ remotes aren't as programmable) it will all work .

Three wireless IR remote senders/repeaters/transmitters & receivers is another way to do it as long as they have a unique id or changable frequency.

You could do other things that require cabling. Depends on how many rooms you want to output to and if its ok to be only be able to control one iQ from each location. What products are you currently using to send the remote codes back to the boxes?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all...

This may have been covered, but I must admit to skim reading the thread (sorry!).

I've got a PACE 420 STB. Now my question relates to the SCART outputs. I'm happy that I can buy a SCART/Component (+audio) to the back of my TV and I select YUV from the "output" menu. BUT I want to go from SCART to S-VHS from the STB to my DVD/R. If I change the output to YUV does the VCR output stay as S-VHS or are both SCART sockets "linked"?

I'm currently using SCART/S-VHS converters and S-VHS/S-VHS leads to both TV and DVD/R. But I'm getting a new (glass) TV rack and I want to tidy the cables up a bit!

Cheers in advance.

If I change the output to YUV does the VCR output stay as S-VHS or are both SCART sockets "linked"?

Linked. Component out tv-scart won't allow S-Video out vcr-scart (only composite). An iQ has a separate S-Video socket so allows Component and S-Video at same time.