My Home Theatre Room

• 4 weeks later...
Here is the updated plan incorporating the suggestions I could within the confines of budget and overall house design:

Nice layout Waylander, although I would like to make a few comments, these are not to be taken as criticism of your house design, but something you can refer back to after you are living in the house.

1: Good idea having the Kitchen with easy access from the garage.

2: IMO not a good idea having Laundry at the back of the house for the good Lady Wife trying to juggle multiple tasks at once.

3: Will you allow audio/HT visitors to use your ensuite?

4: Have you thought about flipping the house? I’d be concerned with the sun/heat in the Master bedroom and living area’s.

As I say these are just my preferences, and they don’t have any bearing on what you like/dislike.

Love the HT room!

Nice layout Waylander, although I would like to make a few comments, these are not to be taken as criticism of your house design, but something you can refer back to after you are living in the house.

1: Good idea having the Kitchen with easy access from the garage.

2: IMO not a good idea having Laundry at the back of the house for the good Lady Wife trying to juggle multiple tasks at once.

3: Will you allow audio/HT visitors to use your ensuite?

4: Have you thought about flipping the house? I’d be concerned with the sun/heat in the Master bedroom and living area’s.

As I say these are just my preferences, and they don’t have any bearing on what you like/dislike.

Love the HT room!

Hi Minty - thanks for the comments (all very helpful)

1. Yeah originally we had a walk in pantry and junk desk there too so that you could dump your keys/mail and walk the food right from the car to the pantry. Now the pantry is smaller to save money.

2. Laundry at the back is ok - it is near all the kids bedrooms (not that we have any kids yet) and has a drying cupboard attached (a cupboard for hanging with it's own zoned ducted heating). It is far enough away from living area's so that noisy spin cycles shouldn't be too loud. The linen cupboard can also be turned into a doorway for a 4th bedroom with we decide to extend when budget allows). All ironing will be done in front of a TV not the laundry.

3. Not keen on HT visitors using the ensuite, but unfortunately to get both living area's near the main toilet is not possible (and may not be good if there is noise from 2 living areas competing with my ears). Mostly it will just be us and (in the future) kids - and that should be no probs using the ensuite. It would be nice to have another toilet, but expensive!

4. The house is designed for the aspect to best capture winter sunlight and minimise summer heat. The windows on the MB and Living areas are all to be double glazed. It was designed to maximise energy efficiency. Outside the living area were are planning to put a colourbond louvre or trellace and climber (grape or something that is bare in winter and provides shade in summer.

Thanks for the input - it's scary being a first time builder - you try to make sure you have all bases covered but difficult until you live there!

Thanks for the input - it's scary being a first time builder - you try to make sure you have all bases covered but difficult until you live there!

Very true, it’s only after you live in a place that you start to realise the Pro’s & Con’s.

You have a nice layout and it should make for a very nice home.

I look forward to following your progress.

i don't mean to be rude as i say this, but if you aren't planning to set the bed up under the window, maybe you could move the window and not sleep with your feet pointing at the ensuite door. and it's a lovely house, any future kids should love it, bigger than the average 3m x 3m bedrooms. it can make a big difference. congrats,hope you enjoy your wonderful home.