Mystar, Will It Come Out In August Or Not?

...I don't think $15 a month is too bad. It means you can have the use of the PVR for 2 years for $360 ...

true...

When the Foxtel IQ PVR cable box was released a few years back those early adopters :rolleyes: could pay a $400 one-off fee

for use of PVR (you don't keep it) however no additional subscription costs ... since that time our PVR had to be replaced once due to fault

think of it as "technology insurance fee"

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting.

December now! No way.

anyone know if you are going to be able to output to a recorder or something so you can burn your recordings to DVD or is it going to have bloody macro vision or something??

Also if you can hook it up to a recorder I guess you are going to lose the dolby digital and component output as most recorders dont have inputs for these?

dmudgeau,

You can bet your bottom dollar that it will have macrovision. I believe Austar is required by their content providers to use macrovision in all their new boxes.

waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting.

December now! No way.

I'm not waiting...IT's HERE FINALLY! Thankou.

So when do you get to install them into our homes? ;)

Well. Me thinks, and it is logical, that when you decide to release something, you must ensure the installers have them to be installed in the first instance, now we all have them, it must be very close.

I did hear launch date of 2/11, so maybe something will be heard in the next few days. BUT, the answer is no idea.

We can only have decoders in stock for max 30 days, then they must be returned to austar for re-distrabution??? So calculate that.

We can only have decoders in stock for max 30 days, then they must be returned to austar for re-distrabution??? So calculate that.

woot! I really do believe u have them whispa, but what a shame the call centre isnt up to speed, I rang again today and was still told not until december.

www.austar.com.au/mystar

Dont get excited, I rang to book it, like the "Get MyStar" tab says to do, only to be told they "are taking phone numbers only"

Wankers!

Ooops, I got excited...

At least there is SOME action.

I work in a call centre, and we don't hear about new things until it's too late some times.

If the web page is up they MUST to have set a release date.

From Austar website:

MyStar Specifications

General

Operating voltage

100 – 240 VAC

Power consumption

50W

Weight

3.05 kg NET

Dimensions (W x H x D)

360 x 76 x 257.8 mm

UHF modulator

PAL/Ch 21 - 69

Operating temperature range

10 – 45 °C

Storage temperature range

-25 – 70 °C

Hard Disk capacity

160GB total (120GB personal storage)

Connections

Mains input

IEC 83

LNB-IN 1

IEC 60169-24

LNB-IN 2

IEC 60169-24

Terrestrial

IEC 60169-2 female

S-Video Out

EN 60933-5

Aerial In

IEC 60169-2 female

RF Out – 1

IEC 60169-2 male

Audio Out (L and R)

RCA female (IEC 60268-11)

SPDIF

IEC-60958

USB 2.0

USB 2.0

RS-232

9-pin D/DCE

Ethernet

RJ-45/IEEE 802.3

Product compliance

This symbol indicates ‘Dangerous voltage’ in MyStar. It represents the risk of electric shock or bodily injury. Your product complies with the Australian Electrical Safety standard AS/NZ 60065: 2003.

DDP060AUS/T500 – The C-Tick symbol and C-Tick number (N10406) printed on MyStar guarantees that your product complies with the Australian EMC standard AS/NZ CISPR 13: 2004

Manufactured under License from Dolby Laboratories “Dolby” and the double-D symbol are trademarks of Dolby Laboratories.

This product incorporates copyright protection technology that is protected by U.S. patents and other intellectual property rights. Use of this copyright protection technology must be authorised by Macrovision, and is intended for home and other limited viewing uses only unless otherwise authorised by Macrovision. Reverse engineering or disassembly is prohibited.

No mention of series link in the demo although the FAQ does indicate you can set a manual timer several months in advance but that's not much joy. There isn't any mention of a feature similar to Foxtel's pseudo-on-demand either.

The FAQ says that software updates won't affect your recordings, although this probably just means that updates won't prevent you from viewing existing recordings not that your box won't be updated halfway through an existing recording or that it won't get the daily restart halfway through a recording.

Yep, sure did notice it.

I reckon they either:

a. Put it up by mistake

b. Put it up for a brief moment on purpose to see if you would try to look for more info about Mythstar on their website at any chance you got!

Perhaps Yell@Me or someone else is either monitoring this or instigated a little tease ? :-) Knowing that you guys are such good critics but would give anything to be the first to know! ;-)

waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting,

You can put a stop to it. If you are so desperate for a PVR to record Austar just buy one. Topfield, Mediastar, Humax, The Mediastar will upscale to 1080i, 720 or 576 via HDMI. You won't get it from the Mystar that's for sure.

Now about the future compatibility with Austar. If you accept the word of just the one person known as "Dr P" who is basing his view on "likelihood" but so far has not produced 1 bit a of tangible evidence or give you a guarantee one way or the other. In that case you can buy a DVD recorder and like so many others connect it to your Austar provided box. You won't like the picture quality but that's another story.

Edited by Refidim

If you accept the word of just the one person known as "Dr P" who is basing his view on "likelihood" but so far has not produced 1 bit a of tangible evidence or give you a guarantee one way or the other.

They can, of course, always choose to believe you instead; someone that has lied and been underhanded in their dealings on the forum. :lol:

Graeme writes:-

Thats cool but how long before Austar close them out?

Nobody knows. DrP is simply giving the warning that their are no guarantees WITH AUSTAR. SelecTV however, as a far more progressive modern company, albiet with fewer channels of rubbish, have an open equipment allowance, and in that respect are *much* more consumer friendly: - http://www.selectv.com/

I have orderd an HD Topfield (sat only) PVR from OS and will use that with my Austar/SelecTV sub, and could use the same box with my Foxtel sub with Predator software, but that is not for mum n pops, its more a technical thing!

http://www.i-topfield.com/eng/product/deta...amp;mainmenu=HD

To be honest, if for some obscure reason the 5.3 or later Irdeto 3 cards have Austar using countermeasure that actually prohibits the use of better quality products, then its cancel Austar time for me in principle, since keeping it would be pointless sometimes, for some. I have *no* concern with ongoing service, but thats me.

The decoder 'OCTAGON' plays both current Foxtel NDS cards (Including Sky NZ), Austar, Aurora and SelecTV etc cards happily:-

http://www.sattronics.net/catalog/index.ph...f3c8ac57ac1614d

Satellite TV was a flow-on technology addition to shortwave radio listening (SWL), and so OWNER EQUIPMENT - the right to own such as decoders/PVR's, cables, dish etc will not be prohibited, should not and cannot. AND it is NOT piracy to own such!!! That said, you still keep your viewing area private, don't swap recordings or play them more than once (idiot US-FTA), don't 'sling' pay services etc. That is the responsibility you have as the owner of better quality equipment than that provided by the pay service. You are also responsible for the loss of, or damage to provider equipment including the smartcard. The less folk tinker about with their equipment once installed, - the better!

What's Austar's position on these boxes?

T&C's don't mention directly a seperate decoder prohibition, but comes close;

4.1 (Equipment) We will provide you the Equipment in order to

receive the AUSTAR TV Services.

Now, the meaning of 'equipment':-
Equipment” means any equipment (including replacement equipment) supplied by us, including the MyStar, necessary for the reception or provisions of the AUSTAR TV Services whether or not purchased by you including without limitation to the Smartcard

But, they don't allow you to take your sub card on a tourist trip around Australia in say a caravan, but hundreds - neigh thousands do so anyway, year in - year out, hence you see sat shops selling 'caravan satellite TV setups', and these are not just for the hopless/pointless Aurora service. Here, it is better to leave the standard Austar box at home.

http://www.satplus.com.au/category55_1.htm

“Premises” means the premises as specified in the Work Order and is the location to which the AUSTAR TV Services will be provided by us.

A marine System:-

http://www.satplus.com.au/category54_1.htm

Mystar would make life a lot simpler.

For some who are not fussy or are only mildly technically minded, then yes, and they will get to tune-in the basic 'SD' terrestrial channels only - but NOT HD. Provided too, that they are also prepared to pay the additional small fee per month for it, and who don't mind their recordings being erased *as needed* by Austar, a la Foxtels IQ rubbish.

See this NETWORK TEN HD link, and wait a moment for the HD EXPLANATORY VIDEO to load:-

http://ten.com.au/ten/tv_hd.html

NEW MYSTAR TERMS in the Terms Pdf below, please read to learn of 'limitations' etc.

See the new AUSTAR TERMS, in Pdf:-

http://www.austar.com.au/library/pdf/terms..._conditions.pdf

Edited by Keepleft