Mystar, Will It Come Out In August Or Not?

Seems to me to be an arguement where there is no right answer at this time.

Whispa1970, can you definatively state that Austar WILL NOT "switch off" access by 3rd party equipment through the ver 5 cards or other means?

DrP, can you definatively state that Austar WILL "switch off" access by 3rd party equipment through the ver 5 cards or other means?

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me to be an arguement where there is no right answer at this time.

Whispa1970, can you definatively state that Austar WILL NOT "switch off" access by 3rd party equipment through the ver 5 cards or other means?

DrP, can you definatively state that Austar WILL "switch off" access by 3rd party equipment through the ver 5 cards or other means?

No I cannot.

I would like to add that not all replacement cards are 5.3, only in the Flinders Box, so if you get an Atlas or a Titan, no 5.3 and becoming

This conversation is going nowhere, you are right and becoming very boring.

I have also heard Mystar b oxes are being sent out to techs for installs into customers premises. Something on the horizon maybe.

Edited by whispa1970

The Mystar is pointless unless it tunes dedicated HD, we hear it is not, so it is best scrapped, sadly.

Q. How do I upload a Pdf? Can't see in forum help. . . .

Meh, forget it, save this small educational Irdeto Pdf instead:-

http://www.irdeto.com/files/Digital_TV.pdf

I quite like this, I see potential for SelecTV offering card only subscriptions via retail outles and at fuel stations:-) Even under Zeta.....

Looking forward to my HD Toppy.

Dr P wrote: - *Austar and Foxtel via the Australian Pay TV association have tried to prevent the sale of 3rd party receivers in Australia. Why do you think that attempt was made?

Because the individuals employed who tried this are 'stupid', ignorant and certainly inept, pure and simple - and had NO legal right to attempt such a ban.

Satellite TV is NOT the preserve of domestic pay TV companies. All citizens of the world have a fundamental right to own a satellite receiver and associated equipment to view what international broadcasters put to air, it is a continuation in technology of shortwave radio, so popular 20 - 40 years ago and is here to stay - in the same manner.

By a stretch of the same bow, you'd have 'restriction' being made by the domestic providers on the advent of Internet TV. Not on. Here, if in time *I* decide I want such a service from an offshore company, then by god I'll have it. In fact, I can do so right now, and will not pay any attention to 'local' yabbies telling me otherwise.

What impact does that have on the likelyhood of 5.3 countermeasures being enabled?

Bugger all. What a pay TV company does to protect its paying consumer base (me) - is its own business, and that in return has NO bearing on the ownership of satelite decoders not belonging to them, but used by citizens to enjoy other content, free and not, from overseas broadcasters. If they have a hissy fit with a customer, they are free to discontinue that relationship.

They can try again and again to make a political fight of it in prohibition attempt. They will lose, and must, and *will*.

Edited by Keepleft

Bugger all eh? I would have thought that it was a clear, simple, direct and obvious indicator that, if given the means, Austar will more than likely disable 3rd party equipment.

Incidentally, you seem to have completely missed the point of that item and gone off on some tangent about what people can do with their own equipment to view FTA transmissions.

I would like to add that not all replacement cards are 5.3, only in the Flinders Box, so if you get an Atlas or a Titan, no 5.3 and becoming

Would you like me to snap a photo of a non-Flinders box with a 5.3 red card installed in it? I can you know. Someone nearby has just this configuration.....

I guess that like whispa1970's Austar boxes that don't reboot, 5.3 cards are only issued with Flinders boxes. :rolleyes:

No, but I've never claimed that they definitely will. All I've ever claimed is that they probably will. In support of this case I've presented some of the many attempts made by Foxtel and Austar over the years to prevent the use of 3rd party equipment via technical means and even an attempt by legal means.

Clearly the desire to disable 3rd party equipment exists, if given the means... well... it doesn't take a genius to work it out.

Would you like me to snap a photo of a non-Flinders box with a 5.3 red card installed in it? I can you know. Someone nearby has just this configuration.....

I guess that like whispa1970's Austar boxes that don't reboot, 5.3 cards are only issued with Flinders boxes. :rolleyes:

Neighbours Atlas has a 5.3, and it reboots every day

Strangely one of my austar boxes has changed from rebooting at 830am to 6pm every day!

The Mystar is pointless unless it tunes dedicated HD, we hear it is not, so it is best scrapped, sadly.

Q. How do I upload a Pdf? Can't see in forum help. . . .

Meh, forget it, save this small educational Irdeto Pdf instead:-

http://www.irdeto.com/files/Digital_TV.pdf

I quite like this, I see potential for SelecTV offering card only subscriptions via retail outles and at fuel stations:-) Even under Zeta.....

Looking forward to my HD Toppy.

On a side note in that PDF does anyone notice what STB is being used. I believe it is the UEC PVR3000 - from what i read this is a pretty cool box - it is triple input and duel view so both rooms have full PVR functionality - while it does not terrestrial is does seem to blow the mystar away!

You are right, new Atlas's have them too. Is that what your freinds decoder is?

Guest Just_me_and_my_mystar_box

As someone who is actually trialling the MyStar box, I just want to say, I don't see what the fuss is?? It is a set top box. Not a pulitzer prize or a pile of chocolate eclairs. It's a box. Yes it can do a few fancy things and it looks pretty, but it is essentially a box.

my advice to all those who are not happy with the Austar service, is to cancel your subsriptions and read a good book. I can recommend a few if you like.

:)

As someone who is actually trialling the MyStar box, I just want to say, I don't see what the fuss is?? It is a set top box. Not a pulitzer prize or a pile of chocolate eclairs. It's a box. Yes it can do a few fancy things and it looks pretty, but it is essentially a box.

my advice to all those who are not happy with the Austar service, is to cancel your subsriptions and read a good book. I can recommend a few if you like.

:)

Very good. I wish mine would get here, maybe this week, others have had them since last week.

Very good. I wish mine would get here, maybe this week, others have had them since last week.

We got ours last week and it arrived just in time to tape Ghost Whispere for me LOL

Hubby has been having a great time utilising the record function. He didn't have to wake up in the wee hours of the morning to watch the formula one, he just set it to record. The surveys drive him a bit crazy though- he is a man of few words LOL

We got ours last week and it arrived just in time to tape Ghost Whispere for me LOL

Hubby has been having a great time utilising the record function. He didn't have to wake up in the wee hours of the morning to watch the formula one, he just set it to record. The surveys drive him a bit crazy though- he is a man of few words LOL

Are you able to give us a little preview on some of its best feature, the quality of the video/audio output and pros & cons?

Is it HD?

Honestly guys (and gals) to me it is a box. I have no idea what most of the jargon you are talking about means.

It records the shows I miss and as far as I can tell the picture is fantastic. We have a panasonic really big TV and there doesn't appear to be any less quality in picture than the other box. Whether it is up to your high standards or not, is not for me to say.

It seems to be relatively easy to use. There are a few extra buttons on the new remote (the ones for recording, playing fast forward etc).

Take a look around the back of the TV. is Austar connected to the TV by a 2 red,1 blue,1 green, & 1 white plugs or 1 yellow, 1 red & 1 white plug ? What does the front panel of the box look like? Does it display channel number, channel name or both?

Edited by lizclinton

Take a look around the back of the TV. is Austar connected to the TV by a 2 red,1 blue,1 green, & 1 white plugs or 1 yellow, 1 red & 1 white plug ? What does the front panel of the box look like? Does it display channel number, channel name or both?

It has both component and composite with SPDIF coax and optical.

Hope this helps. And yes I totally agree, it's just a box.

It’s SD only. Under the current Austar platform, the DW8022 HDMI PVR is the closest you can get to an HD PVR. It upscales to a higher resolution via HDMI output. Being the owner of one I can truly say that the picture quality on LCD’s and Plasma’s with DVI or HDMI input, is certainly worth the investment.

Currently there is no HD on OptusC1 nor will there be any HD until D3 launches, so this or a receiver that upscales is the best you can expect in Aust. My amp (yammy 2700) upscales to my pana HD plasma and austar looks quite nice, but no where near as good as HD terrestrial if u do n A/B comparison, but all said and done it is ok on most channels. Yes there are some mpeg artifacts that are very evident but I can live with that as I had twenty years of snowy analogue terrestrial b4 austar came on to the scene, and I couldnt get all the terrestrial channels. It looks even better when watching austar on my topfield upscaled from the component out!

What I am interested in learning from the few who have a mystar is do they reset without you doing the reset. whispa, both my austar boxes reset at 555AM this morning, but that never happens does it? And I was recording the doco on british ww2 fighters, one more spoiled recording argggggggghhhh! Hopefully this wont happen when I get a mystar.

But a box that may help to make having Austar worth the money. ;)

Not if its subjected to the mindless repeated restarts. Imagine the joy of having a MyStar only to find out that halfway through a program you were after, it restarted... for no particularly good reason. <_<