Panasonic 70a Sound Breakup Problem

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a call from the repair agent this afternoon, they are picking up my set tomorrow - lending me a another set so I am not without a TV and will have the board changed over and back to me by next Friday.

Great Service !

Wow, that's awesome. I will demand the same treatment for mine.

Edited by llsTixll

If it is indeed a software fix, do you think we'll be able to do it?

Talking about the Panasonic 600A... I'm not sure if the on-air software download will be able to be done to fix the problem. My guess it will require the tech to plug into the service connector at the back. :angry:

I wonder if Panasonic will offer this as a retrofit or recall situation?

I wonder if all new sets will be fixed before being sold?

Anyway, good result whiteknightoz, hope it sets a precedent.

I wouldnt expect a recall. True recalls are only done as a result of a safety issue and there are clearly documented manufacturer obligations for these situations.

At best we might get a service campaign and the experience of whiteknightoz may just set the precedent for this.

It's the only brand and model that I've seen with this problem. The new 700A is okay...

I have the 50PX700A and it is definitely an issue on this model too... all Pana 7X series PDPs use the same tuner, so I can't see why it would be different for any of them. Maybe the PZ ranges will have a different tuner? If someone isn't hearing it on a PX though, then odds are they just aren't trying hard enough.

When it comes to broadcast, I watch 90% Foxtel, 10% FTA, and ignore anything usually during commercial breaks (where the issue seems most prevalent). If Pana will have someone come round to install the board, or can come up with FW upgrade for it that can be installed via SD card (on the 700A) or over the air then I would do it, else it's not that much of a drama for me.

Cheers,

Dr.

Edited by Dr. Smythe

I have the 50PX700A and it is definitely an issue on this model too... all Pana 7X series PDPs use the same tuner, so I can't see why it would be different for any of them. Maybe the PZ ranges will have a different tuner? If someone isn't hearing it on a PX though, then odds are they just aren't trying hard enough.

When it comes to broadcast, I watch 90% Foxtel, 10% FTA, and ignore anything usually during commercial breaks (where the issue seems most prevalent). If Pana will have someone come round to install the board, or can come up with FW upgrade for it that can be installed via SD card (on the 700A) or over the air then I would do it, else it's not that much of a drama for me.

Cheers,

Dr.

Dr.

I bought a stereo TV. I expect it to perform as a stereo TV. But as has been suggested on other threads, most people couldn't care. I'm not gonna give up. :angry:

Well I've just purchased a 50px70a this morning. Paid 3K from DJs which I thought was pretty good considering their good after sales support. Wasn't too keen on JB and various other big chains. I couldn't justify the extra 4-500 bucks for the 700a. Better sound, SD slot, 1 more HDMI and anti glare screen couldn't sell it for me. I think the anti-glare definately impacts on PQ. I think the asthetics are marginal.

The 70a display model was made in Japan and I asked to see my exact display in the storeroom and sure enough it was made in China. The salesman kindly rang the pana support line and confirmed that they are now all made in China. He was quick to tell me to return it if it was inferior tom the floor model in any way. They did have the japanese 42px70a models in stock though.

I've been reading this thread with extreme interest and I'll be keeping an extremely close eye on the sound break-up issue. I have procrastinated over the prospect of getting the 50px70a for a few weeks now purely because of this sound issue. I just couldn't find another plasma that was priced similar and could produce the same brilliant PQ. I watch bugger all TV anyway so I doubt I'll notice the sound problem......but I will certainly look.

ETA 24 hours

Dr.

I bought a stereo TV. I expect it to perform as a stereo TV. But as has been suggested on other threads, most people couldn't care. I'm not gonna give up. :angry:

Not saying I don't care, just saying for the likely effort of getting it repaired, for ME it may not be worth it - chill winston! B)

Doc.

Ok did any one else watch the channel 7 news on Sunday Night....

On the footy wrap up up screen, (Green background with patterns showing the footy scores), the sound cut in and out and crackled......but only on that screen. When it reverted back to Tim Watson the sound was fine.

Did anyone else see this happen? If not keep an eye out on the weekend for the wrap up of this week finals games on 7HD (70).

I have a PX700a, and I always get sound breakup during Channel 7 (HD) news. It happens when the background is predominantly solid blue, for example when they list the stock prices. I think it also happens when they do the weather and show the weekly forecast.

It would be pretty easy for people to check to see if they have this same problem - just tune in to Channel 7 HD, around 6.10 to 6.20pm, when they have the stock exchange details.

Anyone else got this problem?

My 50 70a does it on all HD channels when there is something that I would call a "contrasting sharp computer produced image" is shown such as all the examples stated above.

If the credits ect. are blurry ( if it is an older show or just shot that way) it doesn't seem to occur.

The most usual viewing situation where the problem pops up for me is at the very end of the Hungry Jacks Simpsons Whopper ad where it is still the cartoon - it does it every time.

It sounds like the person/sounds are talking underwater.

Does anyone with one of these sets that lives in a Capital city actually not have this issue?

My 50 70a does it on all HD channels when there is something that I would call a "contrasting sharp computer produced image" is shown such as all the examples stated above.

If the credits ect. are blurry ( if it is an older show or just shot that way) it doesn't seem to occur.

The most usual viewing situation where the problem pops up for me is at the very end of the Hungry Jacks Simpsons Whopper ad where it is still the cartoon - it does it every time.

It sounds like the person/sounds are talking underwater.

Does anyone with one of these sets that lives in a Capital city actually not have this issue?

Hi I've been reading this thread from the start & so far I have not heard this sound issue on my set (touch wood ) as yet, not to say it won't happen.

We watch a lot of our tv though a SD pvr.

My set is made in japan july 07

What month is your set made in ? maybe panasonic have changed the boards in the july, aug, sept made sets & realised there mistake?

(clutching at straws)

If they have this will mean a recall for all sets made prior.

signal strengh & quality is about 75% on HD ten channel 12.

We live on the N>S>W . Q>L>D border allowing us to pick up both nsw & qld stations.

Whiteknight.

I do hope that this fixes your set & that you get your set back for the grand final.

It will also give everybody else hope of a fix for there sets.

Best of luck ;)

TV has been collected and loan TV in its place although it's only a 68cm CRT :) , still better than the 32cm one from the bedroom I suppose...

Now I have to get used to watching a TV that size again, and of all times it had to be during the NRL finals !!

Whiteknightoz and all posters,

I have just read all of the replies and input from your initial post on 29 June. What a journey! I hope you get your problem fixed. But the main thing I have noticed all through this is that when people call Panasonic there is almost always total denial of the issues involved. This is probably due to the people on the help desk not being briefed on all of the issues that are being presented to them. In my case I have never been able to talk to a techo and at first was fobbed off in no unreal terms! I actually got the service agent to pick up my TX-32LXD600A. He said there was nothing wrong with it. (I was consistently getting only dual mono on SC10HD and at that time on WINSD - see my other posts). I had to go and demonstrate the symptoms to him. Once convinced, he phoned Panasonic in my presence and reported the problem. I thought a fix was forthcoming. But no!! The service agent informed me a little while later that although he agreed the problem was there, the dispute was now between me and Panasonic. AARRHHHH! Then Panasonic had the hide to say it was all the fault of the broadcasters. So I contacted the broadcasters! The WINSD mono problem was sorted by WIN. So there was a win there :excl:

But the issue of the mono on SCHD and the other HD channels (except SBS) still remains. SC10 said 'it's not our fault'

Anyway, the latest I have from Panasonic is that they have now acknowledged the problem and that they have contacted Japan.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Talbit

Edited by Talbit

Whiteknightoz and all posters,

I have just read all of the replies and input from your initial post on 29 June. What a journey! I hope you get your problem fixed. But the main thing I have noticed all through this is that when people call Panasonic there is almost always total denial of the issues involved. This is probably due to the people on the help desk not being briefed on all of the issues that are being presented to them. In my case I have never been able to talk to a techo and at first was fobbed off in no unreal terms! I actually got the service agent to pick up my TX-32LXD600A. He said there was nothing wrong with it. (I was consistently getting only dual mono on SC10HD and at that time on WINSD - see my other posts). I had to go and demonstrate the symptoms to him. Once convinced, he phoned Panasonic in my presence and reported the problem. I thought a fix was forthcoming. But no!! The service agent informed me a little while later that although he agreed the problem was there, the dispute was now between me and Panasonic. AARRHHHH! Then Panasonic had the hide to say it was all the fault of the broadcasters. So I contacted the broadcasters! The WINSD mono problem was sorted by WIN. So there was a win there :excl:

But the issue of the mono on SCHD and the other HD channels (except SBS) still remains. SC10 said 'it's not our fault'

Anyway, the latest I have from Panasonic is that they have now acknowledged the problem and that they have contacted Japan.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Talbit

I think we are starting to see the effects of Panasonic's agressive pricing on this gear - they are not too interested in after sales service on anything that could be seen as a mass problem. They will fob you off until you are out of warranty and then it is too late. And because it could be construed as a minor problem, they are relying on the majority of people to just say "life's too short" and just put up with it.

I had Panasonic call me back about my reference number on Friday afternoon.

They said the problem was currently being investigated by their engineers in Japan and that they were actively looking at finding a solution to the problem.

I've been told I will be called again next week with an update as to how the sound issue is progressing.

I had Panasonic call me back about my reference number on Friday afternoon.

They said the problem was currently being investigated by their engineers in Japan and that they were actively looking at finding a solution to the problem.

I've been told I will be called again next week with an update as to how the sound issue is progressing.

How bazaar that the local Panasonic Agent appears to have the solution but Panasonic themselves are waiting for advice from Japan?

Maybe they are just looking for a cheaper solution? or maybe my local agent is mistaken and doesn't fix the problem - I hope not :angry2: .

Will let you all know as soon as I get it back..

Edited by whiteknightoz

I had the opportunity to watch the footy on my new 50px70a tonight and I did hear the sound issues that all have spoken of. As said previously, the government ads had sound breakup every time they were broadcast. I noticed it on 7 HD and 9 HD.

For me personally, I don't see it as a problem that would bother very much at all but I definatley acknowledge that the problem exists and any owner is entitled to get the problem rectified. If I hadn't known better I would of simply thought it was glitch in the digital broadcast.

All in all I am blown away by the quality of this plasma. I happy to say the least.

What your reporting is what this thread is mainly about. It usually happens when a solid colour with some text is shown on a HD channel.

Yes, I realise that - just trying to confirm that it does happen on the PX700a as a few had asked. I think I only saw one reply from another PX700a owner confirming that same problem.

I also wanted to list programs that will have the problem, so people can easily check whether they have the same problem, as they may have not noticed it before. The news is the easiest program to check it on, as unlike a commercial, is always on at the same time.

I found the AAMI advertisement also has the same problem - at the end when the screen is solid red, and the numbers are listed. Along with the "ghost line" problem discussed in the other thread, there are a few problems with these Panasonic TVs, which is disappointing when spending >$3000.

Guest brucey76

Hello, I also purchased the TH 50 PX70 plasma last weekend and have the same problem with sound on certain adverts, i have also noticed that there's a rather loud click comes from it every 5 to 10 minutes, does anyone else have this problem or is it normal. I live in Adelaide. Thanks

Edited by brucey76

How bazaar that the local Panasonic Agent appears to have the solution but Panasonic themselves are waiting for advice from Japan?

Maybe they are just looking for a cheaper solution? or maybe my local agent is mistaken and doesn't fix the problem - I hope not :angry2: .

Will let you all know as soon as I get it back..

Whiteknightoz and ozdick,

I'm not sure what set ozdick has but the way I understand it, Panasonic have been busy with the solution to the sound breakup problems with the plasmas. So hopefully whightknightoz, your tv will be fixed soon. But for a solution to my 600A problem, i.e. delivering mono consistently on SCHD and occasionally on all the other HD's except SBS, they have asked Japan for assistance. So there might be two issues here.

I guess it's my fault for jumping in on your plasma sound issue post but I just thought that things were really hotting up and most chitchat was coming through this particular thread. Anyway, it appears as though it's a "don't let Panasonic bluff you" thread so there's nothing wrong with that!

How can I point to my post on this 600A problem that I did last week. (see No stereo on HD etc) I see that you can do it so there is a line under the text here and it directs you to my other post. But I can't make it work.

Talbit

Yes, I realise that - just trying to confirm that it does happen on the PX700a as a few had asked. I think I only saw one reply from another PX700a owner confirming that same problem.

I also wanted to list programs that will have the problem, so people can easily check whether they have the same problem, as they may have not noticed it before. The news is the easiest program to check it on, as unlike a commercial, is always on at the same time.

I found the AAMI advertisement also has the same problem - at the end when the screen is solid red, and the numbers are listed. Along with the "ghost line" problem discussed in the other thread, there are a few problems with these Panasonic TVs, which is disappointing when spending >$3000.

The "ghost" line problem exists on many displays...It's actually not unusual....From a flat panel standpoint, it's probably more common to see it than to not...

What's the point of getting a list of programs? The problem exists...on all 7xx series....I'm waiting to see if they actually end up fixing the problem and specifically for me...if it ends up being worth fixing...