New B&w 600 Series

O.K. I've listened to the new 600 series from B&W at Surround Sounds yesturday.

The 683, 685 and 686 but not the 684. (No Stock as yet, also only one centre channel and no subs!)

First the 686 bookshelf, which is the smallest of the new range is really quite small. However the cabinet is quite deep for such a small speaker. For a surround application this speaker would be ideal. Very crisp, clear highs with a good wide sound stage. Midrange is quite good, that deep cabinet must be helping here. I must stress, this should only be used as a surround speaker tho.

Now the 685, the largest bookshelf in the new range. Again the highs are good, with detail and clarity not normally associated with this price bracket. Mid range is healthy with the front firing port meaning you can place them close to the wall without boom. This is the only book shelf speaker I have heard at this price that nearly sounds like a full range speaker.

All right, the 683's. One word guys. W0W! These had been running for nearly two weeks. BTW dantan, I checked the amp and it is a Yamaha RXV-2700. High frequencies were just like the smaller two, but added something more to the sound, it was just more natural. Female voices for example, you could literally hear the artist breathe. The mid range thanks to the FST driver was stunning. Detail in the mid range was just about the best I have heard for a speaker under 3k. Now the bass was just as i expected after pulling off the grills and having a look. Two good size (not large tho) bass drivers delivering a good amount of slam. The cabinet was a little small I thought in terms of width, but was again quite deep. A complete re-design after the series 3 obviously. Also from what I have read here, these are very dependant on running in time. This may loosen up the bass drivers a little more. (hehe)

So there you have it. In my opinion, the new 600 series represent great value for money with amazing sound for their price. Good bang for your Buck.

On another note, the guy I spoke to did say they are willing to negotiate on price. After I speak to the missus I will def be back.

Made in China? Who cares!

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to hear your thoughts, especially on the 683. It is a mighty impressive pair of loudspeaker, I must confess. I had a feeling you would be very impressed with the 683.

Thanks for checking out the surround receiver used to power the 683, as well. It is a 7 x 140-watt rated receiver, if I am not wrong. In power stakes, it definitely thumps my humble Denon AVR2807. The guy who played the 683 and 703 turned up the volume to about -7.5dB, so that's way louder than I normally play my CDs.

I don't normally have to turn up the volume (for a CD) more than -25.0dB.

I agree with you that the bass drivers may well loosen up more in the ensuing weeks. It is good for the cabinet to be narrow, and as you said, the 683's cabinet is indeed quite narrow but reasonably deep.

By the way, what did you think of the vinyl finish? I wasn't too impressed, but as you said, who cares that it's made in China? It sounds great!

By the way, what did you think of the vinyl finish?

To be honest, I thought it was quite good. If you look at the back you can easily see the vinyl wrap, but I think the expense has gone into the drivers NOT at the expense of the cabinet tho. With the covers on or off they look sweet.

I don't normally have to turn up the volume (for a CD) more than -25.0dB.

I agree, I have an old yamaha RXV-630 and I don't push much past -25.0db. With my SPL meter I measure ~100db at -25.0db on the amp, so any more is just far too loud.

I agree with you that the expense has gone to the most important parts of the loudspeakers - namely the drivers and crossover.

I have always preferred the look of loudspeakers without their grilles. My Epicentrix and Neuphonix have never had the grilles on ever since I have had them. Their grilles are still wrapped up untouched since they came out of the original boxes.

In terms of volume level, my system is manually calibrated so that 0.0dB on the receiver is reference volume (105dB), so, really, -25.0dB is something like 80dB.

Ditto here too - even with my lower power (65w) I usually run my 685's at -30 to -25dB, except of course when demoing them to friends who want to hear just how big those little boxes can sound - then it hits -5dB or 0 ;)

Being the considerate neighbour that I am (cough, cough), I tend to switch off my sub these days even for movies. Last night, I watched Initial D (movie version, DTS) and had it at -10.0dB (at this volume level, due to my manual calibration, my pair of Neuphonix is really only playing at about -15.0dB and my Epicentrix at -17.0dB), and the sound effects were so loud and almost spun me out!

Razr, Is the Nautilus Tweeter made in China as well? It looks like the whole thing is plastic? I just thinking the durabilitly of the whole speaker as well. My current 603 S1 are almost 10 years old now but still looks and sound like brand new .....

dhammika, the drivers in the 683 appear as though they will have been supplied from B&W in the U.K. to China, for them to assemble, seeing that the cabinets are manufactured in China.

I will be surprised if the Kevlar midrange driver and Nautilus tweeter are not manufactured by B&W in the U.K.

~

Thanks for checking out the surround receiver used to power the 683, as well. It is a 7 x 140-watt rated receiver, if I am not wrong. In power stakes, it definitely thumps my humble Denon AVR2807...

~

Claimed power handling of AVRs (particular Yamaha's) are mostly hopeful at best. You're better off comparing the power consumption stats for an indicator of capability. This particular Yamaha has a rated maximum power consumption of 500W. How the hell does it output 980 Watts??? (And that doesn't even take into account amplifier inefficiency.) The Denon on the other hand, also has a rated maximum power consumption of 500W, for a claimed output of 770W. Still impossible, but probably equally capable in real terms.

(For reference: the power consumption of a 7 x 75 W Harman Kardon is 1040W and likely whips both of them, despite having only 75W per channel...)

Thanks, Mining Man. I do realise AVR manufacturers exaggerrate. Harman Kardon is possibly the only honest manufacturer. Most other manufacturers, when they claim 7 x 110 watts, for example, mean that the receiver can muster 110 watts when only one channel is powered. HK, on the other hand, quote power outputs when ALL channels are simultaneously powered.

Thanks, Mining Man. I do realise AVR manufacturers exaggerrate. Harman Kardon is possibly the only honest manufacturer. Most other manufacturers, when they claim 7 x 110 watts, for example, mean that the receiver can muster 110 watts when only one channel is powered. HK, on the other hand, quote power outputs when ALL channels are simultaneously powered.

Yeah definately. I noticed this in a big way when researching/shopping for my Harman/Kardon AVR-7300. It just sounded so much more powerful then competitor's units, even ones that claimed 50 or more watts per channel!!!! Not to mention that great harman sound!!!!

Anyway as with all products, you can take most manufacturer's claims with a grain of salt.

Now to audition the new 683's, I hope they have arrived in Canberra!!!

I agree with you, Tim, about the great Harman sound. I used to have a 5 x 50-watt Harman Kardon A/V Receiver, and gave it to my sister and brother-in-law when I upgraded to my current Denon Receiver. It was always good; never had any trouble powering my then pair of Lyrix Gold (4-ohm and 150-watt rated).

I have a feeling you will be very impressed with the 683.

Razr, Is the Nautilus Tweeter made in China as well? It looks like the whole thing is plastic? I just thinking the durabilitly of the whole speaker as well. My current 603 S1 are almost 10 years old now but still looks and sound like brand new .....

Dunno mate - unfortunately the sticker is rotated towards the top of the cabinet so I can't see it. I'll open up the other cabinet later today and take a peek though ;)

My guess right now is that it's Chinese as well though - to me it doesn't make sense to commit that kind of capital investment into China and then not maximise your ROI.

Even if it is all Chinese as I expect, I wouldn't be concerned - it's obvious from the fit, finish and materials that B&W aren't cutting any new corners when compared to the older 600 series. If anything, the cheaper Chinese manufacturing has resulted in better drivers for the same money, so I'm not complaining :)

Dunno mate - unfortunately the sticker is rotated towards the top of the cabinet so I can't see it. I'll open up the other cabinet later today and take a peek though ;)

My guess right now is that it's Chinese as well though - to me it doesn't make sense to commit that kind of capital investment into China and then not maximise your ROI.

Even if it is all Chinese as I expect, I wouldn't be concerned - it's obvious from the fit, finish and materials that B&W aren't cutting any new corners when compared to the older 600 series. If anything, the cheaper Chinese manufacturing has resulted in better drivers for the same money, so I'm not complaining :)

Thanks Razr. Anyway I will try to get a pair of 683s for a trial this weekend ... but won't gut it like you :rolleyes:

I hope the cabinets won't start to vibrate after couple of years ...... I dont mind if it is made in China as long as they maintain the quality of the brand they always had. I just baught a Harmon Kardon AVR645 and after I unpacked the box only I saw it was made in China. Then I saw HK has cut corners with the front door and some other little things with cheap plastic which is not traditional to HK. But I must admit the sound of the amp is brilliant! :rolleyes: On the other hand I think my Beyonwiz and the Logitech 1000i are lemons. :angry:

dhammika, the drivers in the 683 appear as though they will have been supplied from B&W in the U.K. to China, for them to assemble, seeing that the cabinets are manufactured in China.

I will be surprised if the Kevlar midrange driver and Nautilus tweeter are not manufactured by B&W in the U.K.

Thanks Dantan, This was my initial guess ... but may be Razr will confirm later.

So.....I had my 685's, HTM62 and Era Sub for nearly 2 weeks.

They were good, a slight step up from the Aaron ATS-4's I have used as front speakers for the last 5 years (picked the Aaron's up from cash converters while I was in uni for about $500 - and they served me very well) - note I'm using a pair of B&W BM600S3's as rears.

BUT....they weren't the big step up that I was hoping for. Music was good but not fantastic (although I thought good for the price). Having proper surround was good, but I realised that I was really hoping for a revelation in 2ch because I listen to music about 50% of the time, watch TV about 30%, watch movies 10% and play Xbox360 10%. The B&W's didn't really give me that over the Aaron's.

So after some further research and listening, I took the whole lot back to the store. I'm now sitting at home with a set of Focal 1007Be's. And couldn't be happier. I know they're a completely different class of speaker, but the sound out of them is amazing.

Starting to think about what sub I can pair with them as well as a receiver upgrade (currently have a panasonic XR57) - thinking a Velodyne DD-10 or DD-12.....and haven't done much research into what receiver yet. Ah well, at least I know I'll get many years out of these Focal's.

I think for the right budget the B&W's are good. While shopping for the B&W's I also listened to some Orpheus (the new floorstander sounded fantastic), Focal 8 series, and the 683's. Very happy with my current choice though.

So.....I had my 685's, HTM62 and Era Sub for nearly 2 weeks.

They were good, a slight step up from the Aaron ATS-4's I have used as front speakers for the last 5 years (picked the Aaron's up from cash converters while I was in uni for about $500 - and they served me very well) - note I'm using a pair of B&W BM600S3's as rears.

BUT....they weren't the big step up that I was hoping for. Music was good but not fantastic (although I thought good for the price). Having proper surround was good, but I realised that I was really hoping for a revelation in 2ch because I listen to music about 50% of the time, watch TV about 30%, watch movies 10% and play Xbox360 10%. The B&W's didn't really give me that over the Aaron's.

So after some further research and listening, I took the whole lot back to the store. I'm now sitting at home with a set of Focal 1007Be's. And couldn't be happier. I know they're a completely different class of speaker, but the sound out of them is amazing.

Starting to think about what sub I can pair with them as well as a receiver upgrade (currently have a panasonic XR57) - thinking a Velodyne DD-10 or DD-12.....and haven't done much research into what receiver yet. Ah well, at least I know I'll get many years out of these Focal's.

I think for the right budget the B&W's are good. While shopping for the B&W's I also listened to some Orpheus (the new floorstander sounded fantastic), Focal 8 series, and the 683's. Very happy with my current choice though.

If the Focal's have you happy why not try their subs as well. Seems a good price for a nice looking sealed sub, I read a great review about this model recently as well.

Focal chorus SW over on Len Wallis

The one's that retail for $6000? Wow, somewhat of a step-up ;)

Beautiful picture-taking. It's clearly "Made in China". I was hoping it would be manufactured in the U.K. but what the heck? If it sounds good, what's the problem?

As Psycho well knows, Aurum Cantus manufactures glorious loudspeakers. They are made in China, or was it Taiwan?

the focals u ended up with are worth $6000, did u listen to the 703's?

I didn't listen to the 703's. Some of the speakers that I did listen to were:

• B&W 805s
  • Focal Profile 918
  • Orpheus Aurora 3 Mk 3 + one of their bookshelf models.
  • B&W 683, 685.
  • Focal 800 series (floorstanders and bookshelf's).

I also listened to the Focal Utopia grand and B&W 800D (not because I'm in that price range, simply because they were there, set up, and I figured I'd probably rarely get a chance to listen to them again)

My requirements - my girlfriend and I have a medium to large unit - a warehouse conversion with high ceilings. Fairly good sound insulation, but I've pushed the friendship with the neighbours and a few parties with the Aaron's. Also note - WAF factor was a consideration.

My impressions (caveat, I'm a self professed audio newb so these are just my impressions):

• The 683 were good, but not a justifiable step above the 685's I felt, especially once the 685's were paired with a sub (which gave the 685 / sub combo a better sound than the 683's) - this is why I initially went with the 685's.
  • The Orpheus bookshelf I listened to didn't compare with the 685's.
  • The Aurora 3 was excellent, I thought better than the 683's. They're huge though. We were keen on bookshelve's sub combo for how it suits our apartment.
  • Focal 800 series floorstanders were also excellent, but see above.

Then after taking the 685's back, spent a lot of time listening to the focal's (918, 1007), the 805's. Also listened to the Utopia grand and the 800D - partly just to reference against what I was listening to within my budget.

Discounting how amazing the utopia grand and the 800D's were, I picked the 1007's because of their amazing mid / top end and sound field. The 805s were excellent too, and I would have definitely been happy with them - very different sound to the 1007....but with the music I like, the sound of the 1007's was a great compliment - slightly better than the 805s. They sound excellent in our apartment, despite being straight out of the box (have read the various arguments about run in and I don't have a view either way). The GF loves the look of them as well.

One reason I didn't listen to the 700 range after deciding to move up a bracket was because I'd read that there isn't really a matching centre in that range. My plan is, a couple of years down the track when we move to a house, to move the bookshelves to the rears, and then buy the appropriate towers / centre in that range to have a excellet HT rig. However this would be overkill in the current space. So my criteria was very much picking up the best sounding bookshelfs for my tastes and something that is in the range that I could eventually have as my surround rig.

Looking forward to this being the start of a very expensive hobby!

Cheers and excuse the essay.

Looking forward to this being the start of a very expensive hobby!

Me too, I've just thrown the old TEAC in the bin and purchased this lot:

AVR Yamaha RXV2700

Shanling CDT-100 HDCD Tube player

683 Main speakers

HTM61 Centre speaker

685 Surround speakers

ASW610 Active subwoofer

FS700 Floorstands

Cheers to loud partys and annoying the neighbors!!

RigPig (Post #1)