New B&w 600 Series

Over-kill is good, mate. My listening position is only about 2 1/2 metres away from my Epicentrix and Neuphonix!

I hear you :)

The whole thing is, if the 685's don't cut it in the living room (and there's a moderate chance they won't) I end up with a pair of nice speakers in my home office that the wife unit just couldn't stand to take an eBay loss on, so either way it's a win :) Don't tell her my cunning plan though :P

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The loud speaker market is super-competitive. At the $2,000.00 price point, the Monitor Audio Silver Series RS6 retails at about $1,700.00, and the RS8 retails at about $2,200.00. Both are very well-regarded.

At the end of the day, it's our personal taste, as to which loud speakers we like.

No disagrement from me on the personal taste thing, we all have to make our choices based on our own ears and personal understanding of what's good and whats not however the real trick is not to get suckered into something that sounds impressive in the dem room and is ultimately tiring to listen too at home over an extended period.

Gordon

Heard the 683's at Westcoast today and I must say, i was very impressed. Only had a quick listen, but the sound is indeed quite similar to the 703's. The midrange and highs are very clean like the 703's, but i thought the bass wasn't as good. I guess this is probably related to them only arriving yesterday arvo and not being run in yet. I look forward to a longer listen once they've had some time to run in.

I shall definitely post my thoughts on these, when I have finally auditioned them. Things are conspiring against me this week and weekend, but, I shall definitely audition them by the weekend after at the latest.

It will be difficult to compare the B&W's to my Krix's, because I power my Krix's with a Denon AVR2807, and when I audition the B&W's, they will likely be powered by a much better receiver. However, I shall still post my findings, based on whatever equipment they used.

I am very upset, because an electrical failure last night has stuffed up my DVD player (thank goodness my receiver, speakers and LCD TV are fine), so it looks like I won't be having music and DVD sessions the next few days. D'oh!

I bought the 683's (floor standers) yesterday afternoon. They have very good tonal matching to the series 3's (LCR600 centre and 602's Surrounds)

mquin where abouts did you get them from and what are your early thoughts?

OK, the 685's arrived a few hours ago, and I've now had a good 90 minutes worth of listening on them.

For fear of saying something that I might (well, hopefully will) have to retract later, I'm not going to comment on their sound quality just yet. Everything I've read on these has indicated that running-in results in major improvements to sound quality, so I'll reserve judgement for a few days and see how they're going then.

Edit: Some pics of them here: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=52101

I am the same .... I am very happy with the sound quality but I want to wait until they have been properly run in prior to making any grand statements.

However, I was concerned about tonal matching with the series 3 and found them to be a good match.

I bought them from West Coast Hi Fi in Joondalup.

are they made in the UK or china? whats it say on the back label?

There's no mention on the speakers nor the carton of where they're made. The only reference I can see anywhere is on the owners manual, which says "printed in China". AFAIK, the enclosures and the finished product assembled in China, but I've heard the driver's themselves are British. Can't be sure though of course. It doesn't bother me either way though really, knowing that many of the every day trusted brands we know are made in part or whole in China - it all comes down to QA/QC standards at the end of the day.

From a purely cosmetic standpoint, the fit and finish is superb. Technically speaking, the enclosure looks to be made of ~12mm MDF and are are (unfortunately) quite lively to the touch however - there's enough physical energy being exterted by the cabinets to guarantee they're technically a weak link - perhaps the weakest seeing how well the drivers manage to perform given the circumstances.. The exterior is finished in a quite convincing vinyl wrap, not true veneer. I couldn't see any bracing through the port, nor when I removed the back plate - I'm not saying there isn't any, but no bracing would be consistent with the vibrations I can easily feel with my finger tips, even at low'ish volumes.

At this early stage I'm also not convinced about the 1st order (6dB/oct) crossovers on the midbass unit, from both a phase and response standpoint, but I'll reserve any judgements and criticisms until they've had an opportunity to run in properly.

Razr, thanks for the very detailed pics, I always enjoy having a perve at others' bits :D I'll be looking out for your impressions as my auditions of B&W gear previously haven't left me with many fond memories (was the lower to mid level of the range though).

I have listened to the 683's at surround sounds in nedlands. they had them running on a yammy 2700. the speakers had been running overnight for two days to "run them in" the salesperson told me. very nice sound, detailed, awesome imaging for such a "small" speaker with deep tight...bass :). the guys down there told me they were going to have a launch night for the new 600 series sometime soon, when they have the complete range on display.

I will keep you informed.

Apparently, B&W is not one to offer reasonable discounts for its loudspeakers. Generally, it is easy to get 10%-15% off RRP for loudspeakers, but getting a 5% discount off B&W loudspeakers, apparently, is about the best you're going to get.

I bought my DM602S3 for about 12% less than RRP from a store in Wollonggong and got 20% off the LCR600 and DM600S3's a couple of years ago from a store in Bankstown...

You need to find a new store.. ;)

I bought my DM602S3 for about 12% less than RRP from a store in Wollonggong and got 20% off the LCR600 and DM600S3's a couple of years ago from a store in Bankstown...

You need to find a new store.. ;)

Yah I would agree. I got 20% off a LCR600 and a pair of 603's no problem (seperate stores, seperate sales).