Looking for phono preamp and suggestions on connections.

Hey all. I recently purchased a very nice 1200 mk2 and I need a phono preamp to get this baby going. Any suggestions for a nice looking phono preamp or receiver to match a black 1200 mk2? Preferably no more than $250.

I'm also a little confused how all of my equipment will be connected. I currently run studio monitors as my way of listening to music and sound on my computer. I want to also be able to use these same monitors for the turntable. The monitors are currently hooked up to a small USB 2 channel recording interface VIA RCA. Interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

Is anyone able to let me know how everything will connect together cable wise etc to get this running?

Do you have a link to the studio monitors?

Edit:My thinking is that you want to by-pass the Scarlett, and connect the phono stage directly to the studio monitors.

At least that is the way I would be looking at doing it.

As for phono stages there are a number of options in that budget. You can also look at second hand in the classifieds here for something appropriate. What stage would suit you best is dependent on the cartridge you intend using on the 1200, and also the sound you want.

Edited by datafone

I am trying out all sorts of Phono stages at the moment, and some more at the weekend, I have a thread running if you are interested  http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/51380-phono-stage-suggestions/

I will continue adding to that thread as I trial more stages, some of them will be out of your stated price range though.

Do you have a link to the studio monitors?

Edit:My thinking is that you want to by-pass the Scarlett, and connect the phono stage directly to the studio monitors.

At least that is the way I would be looking at doing it.

As for phono stages there are a number of options in that budget. You can also look at second hand in the classifieds here for something appropriate. What stage would suit you best is dependent on the cartridge you intend using on the 1200, and also the sound you want.

He's a link: http://www.turramusic.com.au/Pages/CatalogueItem.aspx?CIID=2565

Unfortunately I can't really bypass the Scarlett as I need it as a means for volume control. The monitors don't have volume control on them which is a pain in the ass.

Edited by lightbearer
  • Like 1

A passive pre amp with selectable inputs could be the answer.

Edit: Something like this.........maybe http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tisbury-Audio-Mini-Passive-Pre-Amp-Stepped-Attenuator-Preamplifier-/181055126076?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2a27b9fa3c

Someone else here may be of more help

Edited by datafone