Samsung M81 Movie Plus Problem **

Got mine at 9am sharp this morning, been playing with it for the last 2 hours, and as far as I can tell this one does not have the movie plus problem.

However, a point with the plug and play setup. If you happen to dawdle once you first power it up, and you don't respond to the plug and play setups, it will run through the menus after a timeout on its own and default to "shop". I found this out this morning when I powered it on, and then realised I hadn't unpacked the remote. By the time I had done that, unwrapped the batteries, chucked them in and was ready to do the plug and play, it was all over and it was in shop mode. I had to rerun plug and play to get to home mode.

So I reckon there is a really good chance that this might be the problem with movie plus. I strongly recommend that affected owners check this on their Samsungs.

PS .... The PS3 looks sensational at 1080p.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damn, i really hope my unit comes on time today!

I'm just spewing that this weekend i've got a thousand other things to do.. so i'll have to wait till next week to play with it properly :blink:

i'll let everyone know if mine doesn't have the movie plus problem too.

Ni i have the prob with Movie plus on the 46" and i run it in Home mode, not store mode.

The best example is, watch something on the PS3, then swicth back to Ch7 and it will be on, even though it states its off. Home & Away I noticed it on most.

If you go into the menu and switch it to on and then off again it takes it away.

Ive already swapped 2 tv's, today is my 14 day out of the box warranty. Im getting a tech out to have a look at it. Couldnt be assed swapping one again.

I have no probs with the channel's not working either.

Ni i have the prob with Movie plus on the 46" and i run it in Home mode, not store mode.

The best example is, watch something on the PS3, then swicth back to Ch7 and it will be on, even though it states its off. Home & Away I noticed it on most.

If you go into the menu and switch it to on and then off again it takes it away.

Ive already swapped 2 tv's, today is my 14 day out of the box warranty. Im getting a tech out to have a look at it. Couldnt be assed swapping one again.

I have no probs with the channel's not working either.

Had Samsung tech out today to fix the tuner problem and look at the movie plus issue. I had some recorded HD material on my PVR and showed him what's happening. He agreed that it is definitely staying on when it shouldn't be. I'm only running in home mode and not shop. Doesn't seem like there's anything that can be done unless Samsung recognise the problem and release a firmware update. I'm thinking about retrurning to HN and getting a store credit until the replacement for the Sony X series comes out.

Is it doing it when you change channels or when you change sources?

First post said when you change sources, but some people now have said channels/sources.

I get the problem when switching the tv on and switching sources.

So if you are watching FTA most of the time and disable the movie plus when the tv has been switched on, then you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Is that correct?

So if you are watching FTA most of the time and disable the movie plus when the tv has been switched on, then you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Is that correct?

Correct, it's still a pain in the ass though. If there was a dedicated button on the remote it wouldn't be so bad.

Correct, it's still a pain in the ass though. If there was a dedicated button on the remote it wouldn't be so bad.

Fair enough, it will be a pain in the ass, but because I will be watching FTA and I wont be using any other sources for a while, it will a couple times a day pain in the ass :blink: .

I got a model with the recent DTV fix and the movie plus issue is fine now. Now my question is to all those people with this movie plus problem.. if the new majority of people like myself don't have the problem and samsung won't do anything until people complain, you could be in a bit of a pickle.

I got a model with the recent DTV fix and the movie plus issue is fine now. Now my question is to all those people with this movie plus problem.. if the new majority of people like myself don't have the problem and samsung won't do anything until people complain, you could be in a bit of a pickle.

I have a feeling there may be some people who have the movie plus problem and they don't know it, because in the menu movie plus says it's off even though it's not. Can anyone who has a newer recently purchased set do a test?

You need to be able to actually tell what movie plus looks like to know if you have it or not.

Try switching it on and off and see if you can cleary notice the difference.

If you can then try switching it off in the menu, then switching inputs or turning the set on and off.

You will probably find that although it says "off" in the menu, it is actually still active if you know what it looks like.

Hope that makes some sort of sense.

**Update**

Calling the Samsung customer service line 1300 362 603 doesn't seem to be doing anything for a fix.

This is what needs to be done.

You do in fact need to call Samsung on the 1300 number to get them to refer you to your nearest Samsung service centre. Melb is 9877 0109.

You then need to speak to one of their techs, not the reception girl, and tell them specifically what the problem is. They can then contact the senior service tech at Samsung, his name is Mark apparently. This is the only way for this issue to be resolved with a firmware update.

So get calling people!!

From what I see when movie plus is on, is that any moving objects seem to have a much more distinct "pixelation" (for want of a better term) going on around them. When I turn movie plus off that distinct pixelation goes away.

Is this what everyone with the problem is seeing, or am I missing something?

On my M81 when i turn it off, it definitely stays off, even after changing sources.

From what I see when movie plus is on, is that any moving objects seem to have a much more distinct "pixelation" (for want of a better term) going on around them. When I turn movie plus off that distinct pixelation goes away.

Is this what everyone with the problem is seeing, or am I missing something?

On my M81 when i turn it off, it definitely stays off, even after changing sources.

That's it, pixelation around moving objects. It also gives moving objects a dodgy looking 3D effect.

That's it, pixelation around moving objects. It also gives moving objects a dodgy looking 3D effect.

So what are the benefits of movie plus? Are there circumstances when viewing with movie plus is beneficial? If not one wonders why this 'feature' is included.

Selling point maybe?

So what are the benefits of movie plus? Are there circumstances when viewing with movie plus is beneficial? If not one wonders why this 'feature' is included.

Selling point maybe?

It's apparently for Blu Ray/HD-DVD content from players that output 24fps.. The movie plus mode is supposed to make the frame rate look natural on the M81's 100hz screen. 24 does not go into 100 evenly.

So when you apply it to some that's not 24fps you get the crappy result of pixelation around the edges of moving objets.

It's apparently for Blu Ray/HD-DVD content from players that output 24fps.. The movie plus mode is supposed to make the frame rate look natural on the M81's 100hz screen. 24 does not go into 100 evenly.

So when you apply it to some that's not 24fps you get the crappy result of pixelation around the edges of moving objets.

only problem with that theory is the M81 is a 50hz screen not 100hz

Yeah, I can see this, finally found an effect I can clearly have on/off. It shows up clearly if you have moving background that is high contrast stripes. (e.g. flourescent tubes against a black background)