Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

I''ve noticed the Audio lag more so watching movies and less on TV but sometimes the sync goes right out within seconds. I have to pause or stop the movie to reset the sync and then it goes out.

Anyway, I'm tempted to try the Dutch 2004.0 firmware to see if that will fix it.

What BD player are you using? Did you have any issues prior to fw2002?

Andys.

I''ve noticed the Audio lag more so watching movies and less on TV but sometimes the sync goes right out within seconds. I have to pause or stop the movie to reset the sync and then it goes out.

Using a DVD/Bluray/Media player or via the USB player?

Hi, I'm using a PS3 120GB -> HDMI -> PSC63C7000 and Optical out to a Deno AVR-2803. I also have a Toshiba HD-XE1 with the same HDMI/Audio Setup. DVD's via the XE1 was terrible, Blade Region 1 DVD. I've noticed audio sync viriations playing blu-ray disk from the PS3 and m2ts files from a USB HDD having worse audio sync. TV Audio sync is out here and there. Prior to FW 2002.0 audio sync problems were hardly an issue. I could re-apply the FW 2002.0, if at all possible, otherwise, I'll see if it we reload 2000.2, if it lets me, otherwise I'll try the Dutch firmware.

Hi, I'm using a PS3 120GB -> HDMI -> PSC63C7000 and Optical out to a Deno AVR-2803. I also have a Toshiba HD-XE1 with the same HDMI/Audio Setup. DVD's via the XE1 was terrible, Blade Region 1 DVD. I've noticed audio sync viriations playing blu-ray disk from the PS3 and m2ts files from a USB HDD having worse audio sync. TV Audio sync is out here and there. Prior to FW 2002.0 audio sync problems were hardly an issue. I could re-apply the FW 2002.0, if at all possible, otherwise, I'll see if it we reload 2000.2, if it lets me, otherwise I'll try the Dutch firmware.

Hi Pasadena

I have been on the Dutch FW now for a week and I haven't turned into a "blordy Prorn men"...yet (south african accent from District 9 :) )

Hi Pasadena

I have been on the Dutch FW now for a week and I haven't turned into a "blordy Prorn men"...yet (south african accent from District 9 :) )

:) I'll see if I can reload 2000.2, otherwise I'll go for the Dutch firmware tonight.

Also, do you know, for those that have done this with previous firmware from different regions, but if I for arguements sake, I loaded up the Dutch Firmware, will I be able to load the same FW revision from OZ when it is released?

Hi Pneu,

Who's Dennis Thomsen? (Pardon my ignorance). Any word on exactly what's new in fw2004?

Andys.

Hi Andys

He's the author of the blog about the Samsung 50hz/60hz black level: http://dennisthomsen.dk/2010/08/samsung-c7...-cinema-smooth/

I'm not sure what they changed in the latest firmware. As far as I could tell nothing else needed changing from the original firmware as the picture quality was already of reference quality.

Edited by pneu

Don't bother loading the Dutch Danish firmware. I emailed Dennis Thomsen and he says it doesn't improve the black level.

Can you please post your email to him ie your question and his response here so we can read it.

Edited by CC Rider

Can you please post your email to him ie your question and his response here so we can read it.

Here:

Hi *****,

I haven't had the time to update before just 5 minutes ago :-)

Old version was 2001 - new 2004.

There is no change in black level at 50Hz or 60Hz. :-/

I'll update my blog later tomorrow with some images of the black level before and

after the update.

/Dennis

I would have thought the black level should be the same regardless of 50/60hz as the TV should be in 600hz subfield drive mode the entire time (50 and 60 both go into 600, as per the Panasonics).

Here:

I would have thought the black level should be the same regardless of 50/60hz as the TV should be in 600hz subfield drive mode the entire time (50 and 60 both go into 600, as per the Panasonics).

Thanks Pneu

Well blow me down with a feather (and I'm a very big guy) Has this been a psycho psuedo observation on my part :o I am more than happy to invite you to my place Pneu so you can have a look yourself.

bring your measuring equipment with you if you wish.

Has my 1000 hrs coincided with the fw update :ninja: maybe?

PS I have received an email from Dennis Thomsen today and he says he is still checking it before he makes a comment so not 100% conclusive yet.

Edited by CC Rider

Well blow me down with a feather (and I'm a very big guy) Has this been a psycho psuedo observation on my part :o

Probably. I mean the difference in black level between 50/60hz is already quite small so you'd be forgiven for thinking there was no difference there at all.

Thanks Pneu

Has this been a psycho psuedo observation on my part

Did you turn your brightness down to 47 around the same time you applied the firmware update? I know that there is a noticeable difference in blaclk level on my TV just turning the brightness from 51 to 50.

Did you turn your brightness down to 47 around the same time you applied the firmware update? I know that there is a noticeable difference in blaclk level on my TV just turning the brightness from 51 to 50.

Hi Mate

No I did not change any of my settings.I changed them to that with fw 2002 and kept those settings. It looked so much better after FW update. Well you guys will get it soon and you will see what I mean.

I have a loan TV at my disposal. The Pana 65vt20. It is at my place at the moment for a trial. Believe me when I tell you this the Samsung with fw 2004 wipes the floor with it

for all FTA broadcasts. BR on the Pana is slightly better because of the good black levels in the early stages.

I do like Dennis referring to the PQ of the 63 7000 as reference quality. (just lovely :P )

Edited by CC Rider

Don't all look at once (it slows down my download!)

Ver 3001.1 was made available today. Sorry, no link this time - it really does slow it down (and besides, the link I have is the 58" anyway.)

Oh, OK:

http://www.samsung.com/au/support/detail/s..._sub_class_cd=P

Edit: last time I post before I get it. It's now less than half the speed (and the first download ended at 83MB, not the 130MB it says. Hey, that's significantly bigger than last time too.)

Edited by Guest

This is starting to look bad... No change in black level, but the PC now has green sparkles. Funny, I remember that from when I was using the VGA connector, but never HDMI.

I'm going to need to completely reload my settings though - this firmware seems to have completely reset the TV.

Maybe after everything's been set back it'll be at least as good as it was...... (Even need to rescan channels!)

Edit: green sparkles went after putting back the picture settings I had, MJC "heat haze" seems to be even smaller now (good stuff), 60Hz still darker than 50Hz - used the PC to check, but don't know if 50Hz is slightly darker than before.

Anyone with the Onkyo 608, remember to turn off the software update "check in standby after 2 hrs" option - after the big reset, this was back on. Only thing 'remembered' was the wireless IP address, for some bizarre reason.

Edited by Guest

I dont get it how come cc downloaded version 2004 from the dutch site and the OZ site didnt get that version

So we went from version 2002 straight to 3001, also why is this update so big? does anyone know where to find any info on what the update does?

Here's a link to cnet, there are other posts and you can search other links related to these FW updates. One thing I didn't know was that you could install alternative firmware like SamyGo, never heard of it :o but will check it out. Sounds like this new firmware locks down the TV and takes away the ability to install other/alternative firmwares. There's no news on Samsung's website about notes for this firmware. A Samsung Tech cannot even get info on this new FW. Some people have reported downloading FW 3002.1. So many revisions around the place.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-384808.html

<H3 class=postSubject>Firmware lockdown</H3>by mattc_uk - March 1, 2010 3:08 AM PST

In Reply to: SAMSUNG LED TV 3001.1 FIRMWARE by nosferatujr

I've read that there are no major differences to the actual picture.. but what they do do is lock down the TV so that you can't install alternative firmware releases like SamyGo (which has made some great progress, like adding a built-in web browser). It also means you'll not be able to downgrade to previous releases which is really bad news if you're not happy with the latest firmware.

I for one won't be crippling my TV with this firmware!!

Interesting. Anyway, here's the link to Samygo (Samsunbg TV Firmware on the Go). http://samygo.sourceforge.net/

SamyGO is a project for reverse engineering Samsung TV's Firmwares which is partially Open Sourced. ( Literaly Samsung TV Firmware Hacking Project )

We try to fix problems that in the firmware. We don't want money from you. We make this modifications for us and ourself but you are allowed to join us.

What is the US version model number that corresponds to our PS63C7000.

Anyone willling to give SamyGo a GO? :ninja:

Anyway, worth a look :)

Cheers

Edited by pasadena