Afl First Official Hd Game

the replay on fox now looks absolutely crap,lets hope its not to many years till all the games are in HD.Im not to worried about 5.1 as i imagine it would just be commentators coming out the center and crowd out the rears,not much different to now.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the replay on fox now looks absolutely crap,lets hope its not to many years till all the games are in HD.Im not to worried about 5.1 as i imagine it would just be commentators coming out the center and crowd out the rears,not much different to now.

OMG very right there wheelz e.g the grass on Foxtel looks like green carpet unlike each blade of grass on Ten HD like VHS v HD DVD/Blu Ray interesting if TEN does the DVD in HD or down scale it to SD!!

cheers laurie

It's all about the broadcast bitrate, nothing to do with the cameras.

Certainly seems to me that the bitrate/compression is the main problem. Especially on the pannning close-ups with the very out-of-focus crowd in the background. However, is some of motion blurring due to the fact that this is native 1080i50 video, rather than HD sourced from film? To my eyes, the footy has a very similar quality to Totally Wild, which I think is also native 1080i50 video. ie. Besides the MPEG blocking, a general fuzziness around moving objects: is that because of the native interlacing? I certainly don't see any of this fuzziness on the bulk of HD content on 9 and 10 (most which I believe is sourced from 24fps film).

Is it likely that Southern Cross Ten in the ACT will ever start broadcasting HD AFL. It was disappointing that all we received was just a SD transmission of the game - sounds like no Southern Cross 'ten' stations broadcast the HD AFL game...

SCT still haven't upgraded to 1920 x 1080i(despite all other capital cities making the change in December 2006)....surely the difference in resolution wouldnt prevent SCT from transmitting the sydney broadcast (but just downconverting to 1440 x 1080i)?

Have sent some feedback to their comments address - hoping the situation will change for next week's game.

Just back from the match and I can tell you the HD I reordered [took up over 5GB ] looked exactly what my eyes saw live if you cannot be at the match but can watch it in HD you will have the next best thing if not better hope this was a learning curve for Ch10 to make it even better :blink::D

I just got home and watched the first half in HD. Must say there still isn't anything like sitting in the middle of the West Coast cheersquad in Sydney and cleaning them up with four of our best players out. There is one thing HD can't do and thats give you the ability to shout at players near by and have them hear you :P

Is it likely that Southern Cross Ten in the ACT will ever start broadcasting HD AFL. It was disappointing that all we received was just a SD transmission of the game - sounds like no Southern Cross 'ten' stations broadcast the HD AFL game...

SCT still haven't upgraded to 1920 x 1080i(despite all other capital cities making the change in December 2006)....surely the difference in resolution wouldnt prevent SCT from transmitting the sydney broadcast (but just downconverting to 1440 x 1080i)?

Have sent some feedback to their comments address - hoping the situation will change for next week's game.

I am wondering if SC10 didn't broadcast in HD because their bitrate is too low. Do the bitrate experts here know the difference between SC10 and, say, 10 Melbourne? SC10 must have know they would cop flak for this.

Being cynical it could be a commercial decision. They still can't insert commercials into their HD stream so they only get revenue from their SD feed.

SteveO

Being cynical it could be a commercial decision. They still can't insert commercials into their HD stream so they only get revenue from their SD feed.

SteveO

I wondered about that too. If they do decide to let us regional viewers have the HD version I hope they don't play the loop while the 30sec commercials are on the SD channel. That would be ridiculouas.

Could the only reason SC10 didnt show a HD signal be because, like PRIME, SC10 only have one HD encoder for the east-side of Australia, and since they are beaming the game into several different territories, each with a different start time, it would mean that the HD signal would be live to everyone (including the territories like ACT where it wasnt supposed to be, and in QLD where it was supposed to be Bris VS Hawt) or delayed to everyone including the places who were supposed to get it live and in QLD who had a different game. This is the only plausible reason I can come up with - not that I want to defend SC10, I was as pissed off as everyone else on this forum is about the situation

Geeeez ... you guys are perfectionists :D

No complaints all praises from me to Ch 12 for trying

(I'd better not find out what mpeg blocking is, in case it starts bugging me).

Yeah it was such a massive jump from what we had previously that I can only rejoice too. Although as a Swans supporter I couldn't enjoy it as much as I would've liked. :blink:

mpeg blocking or macro blocking was definitely there but it was a fairly minor blemish for me when considering this otherwise superb broadcast as a whole. As someone mentioned above when compared to the broadcast of the Freo v Port game they are light years apart. Great stuff TEN!

Where were you minichjp??? Should have been at the game was "special" :D

Sorry mate, had to work. Plus i couldn't afford the flight over to Sydney. I spent all my footy money on the granny last year. I'll be at the game next week though :blink:

And don't worry we'll smash you by 2pts in Rd 16

I can't keep doing this. Every time we play the swans i shave 3 years off my life.

Could the only reason SC10 didnt show a HD signal be because, like PRIME, SC10 only have one HD encoder for the east-side of Australia, and since they are beaming the game into several different territories, each with a different start time, it would mean that the HD signal would be live to everyone (including the territories like ACT where it wasnt supposed to be, and in QLD where it was supposed to be Bris VS Hawt) or delayed to everyone including the places who were supposed to get it live and in QLD who had a different game. This is the only plausible reason I can come up with - not that I want to defend SC10, I was as pissed off as everyone else on this forum is about the situation

Maybe this has something to do with it?

You would think these two teams are into match fixing the amount of supporters talking about the the 1 point score line after the game was amazing I liked Judd comment that we scrap the first 3 quarters and just play the last :blink:

cheers laurie