New Samsung 1080p Models?

Also has the resolution wrong. Could be good for bargaining with though.

Good observation. However most salespeople don't tend to take online stores seriously. They go on about "face to face service", "reliability" and "what happens if something goes wrong"... which at the end of the day are nice things to think about, but if you can slash $500 off the price, well... Most I have found to have the attitude of "well, that's a good price and I'm not going to beat it, so piss off and buy your TV online."

Still, I've printed them and will return to JB armed with the cheaper quotes :blink:

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone shopbot'd the M81 yet??

$2964 here: http://www.opalia.com.au/product.jsp?id=LA40M81BDX

Is this too good to be true???

I have been seeing a few Comp shops selling cheaper LCD's and all getting from the same distributor on the 16th May. However the Samsung website lists the models as LA4xM81BD but all these sites list them as LA4xM81BDX...

Might explain the diff specs as they might not be the same models being sold everywhere else...

Edit: Beaten, Damn interruptions... :blink:

THESE SUPERCHEAP 40'S ARE THE 720P MODELS.

Apart from the X in the model number they are what Samsung list as 1080p. They are obviously getting the info all from the same source.

What you mean to say is they are 1366x768 panels. They don't generally make aaaax720 for flat panel LCDs (Some projectors and RP TVs do though)

After looking into this mysterious 'X' that is cropping up I'm about as confused as everyone else.

I email opalia about it being incorrect and they've indicated they'll contact their supplier and possibly update their website.

However if you look on: http://www.samsung.com/au/products/tv/lcdt...=Specifications

and click the download brochure link, it links to 'la40m81bdx'. So go figure... The specs are correct however :blink:

The issue with the incorrect specs is that they still seem to list the 15000:1 contrast, while getting everything else wrong.

Edited by Nalar

Just a warning, if you are not all aware, M86 is just a rebadged 65 series with a Glossy (Glass) screen (thus why the 5K extra Contrast)

Unfortunately these are not the new 81 series with the new LCD backlight that are due out later this year which should help with most of the LCD issues (and I bet bring a new breed of issues with them)

Still interested in hearing about the M86's when ppl post some reviews..

I am going out next week to buy a new 40" TV, but I cannot decide which one to go for...the Sony 40" X or the new Samsung 40".

When I went to JB yesterday, they had a 46" Sony X and 46" Samsung going side by side, both playing animated movie on blu ray. The Samsung looked so much sharper then the Sony, but seemed to be less colourful. It's hard to really tell in a brightly lit store.

I've phoned around quite a few places and atm it's about 50/50 on which tv to get :blink:

JB have quoted me $3799 for the Sony and $3379 for the Samsung (though I am sure if I were to go in with the cash they'll go lower).

Bah...the decision is driving me nuts :D

and click the download brochure link, it links to 'la40m81bdx'. So go figure... The specs are correct however :blink:

Except the LA40M81BDX brochure says 46" in big letters at the top of the second page.

Perhaps they are a little rushed getting these things out. One of the JB guys mentioned they've een waiting for a while. They're probably sick of people asking for them.

Just a warning, if you are not all aware, M86 is just a rebadged 65 series with a Glossy (Glass) screen (thus why the 5K extra Contrast)

Unfortunately these are not the new 81 series with the new LCD backlight that are due out later this year which should help with most of the LCD issues (and I bet bring a new breed of issues with them)

Still interested in hearing about the M86's when ppl post some reviews..

We're not talking about M86s here. These are definitely M81 models.

M86 is the English/European version.

Except the LA40M81BDX brochure says 46" in big letters at the top of the second page.

Perhaps they are a little rushed getting these things out. One of the JB guys mentioned they've een waiting for a while. They're probably sick of people asking for them.

Yeah, there is that. I think it's about as close as it's gonna get for the time being.

Edited by Nalar

Shonky is correct.

M81 AUS = M86 EU

edit - its actually the M87 EU version. I think the only difference between the M86 & M87 is cosmetic (the M87 has the silver strip at the bottom, the M86 is all black).

Our M81 is the same as the US 61F series but includes the gloss screen, enhanced contrast & premium audio from the 66F series.

The highly anticipated US 81 series will not be out here for quite some time as they are not due out in the US until July at the earliest.

Some useful info from a thread about the 81 series at AVSforums (US model numbers)...

Good: "industry-leading value"

61F series CCFL BLU, 10k CR, regular audio, bottom speakers

Better: "clearest, brightest LCD picture on the market today"

65F series CCFL BLU, 15k CR, premium audio, side speakers

66F series CCFL BLU, 15k CR, premium audio, bottom speakers

Best: (not yet on webpage)

81D series LED local dimming BLU, 50k CR, 105% gamut, Bluetooth

71D series CCFL BLU, 120Hz, Bluetooth

was just at HN at Indooroopilly up here in Bris, and they had the 46" m81, 2 of them, but neither on display until they shifted the old f7 (or whatever is it) stock. Pricing was RRP $4999, but of course "come back to me and i'll do a better price".

Anyhoo - what i did find interesting was the sony x series.. the 46" was ticketed at $4899. Not bad at all... cheapest i've seen on the sticker so far is $5200 at JB.

im still confused with the X and D models numbers

The D is for the digital tuner.

I believe the B is the "Bordeaux" model - they all seem to have that around the world

Not sure about the X

hang on a second...the specs on the samsung site say 50hz, however doesnt the HD standard (720P/1080P) require that it runs that resolution at 60hz?

wont this affect xbox360 owners as most games are designed to run on PAL-60? Or is that something to do with SDTVs only?

hang on a second...the specs on the samsung site say 50hz, however doesnt the HD standard (720P/1080P) require that it runs that resolution at 60hz?

wont this affect xbox360 owners as most games are designed to run on PAL-60? Or is that something to do with SDTVs only?

This was the question I was trying to get answered before.

The Samsung spec phamplet says it is 50hz. The manual says it PC resolution at 60hz and does HMDI at 50 and 60 Hz but does not address component?

If had found this on the xbox forum

"If your HDTV set *only* supports 1080i at 50htz for HD, you will have problems running your 360 in HD, your HDTV needs to support 60htz. Also note, that some games will not work when the system is set to PAL 50. Set your console to PAL 60 to get them to work."

Given the I want to purchase this TV to play my 360 its a deal breaker.

Thoughts???

was just at HN at Indooroopilly up here in Bris,

I was in the HN in the Brisbane CBD (possibly the worst electronics store in Brisbane - does anybody know any god TV stores in the CBD of Brisbane??? - not the sony store) they said it would be weeks before the M81 came in. I told them JB had stock. Guy was phone Samsung rep as I walked out to winge....

The Samsung spec phamplet says it is 50hz. The manual says it PC resolution at 60hz and does HMDI at 50 and 60 Hz but does not address component?

"If your HDTV set *only* supports 1080i at 50htz for HD, you will have problems running your 360 in HD, your HDTV needs to support 60htz. Also note, that some games will not work when the system is set to PAL 50. Set your console to PAL 60 to get them to work."

Thoughts???

as i said, i thought the 1080P and 720P standard meant 1920x1080P @60hz, but not sure.

I was in the HN in the Brisbane CBD (possibly the worst electronics store in Brisbane - does anybody know any god TV stores in the CBD of Brisbane??? - not the sony store) they said it would be weeks before the M81 came in. I told them JB had stock. Guy was phone Samsung rep as I walked out to winge....

I rang JB Kedron @4.30pm today and asked them about the 40". They said they have no idea when the 40" was due in stock and that it may be a couple more weeks yet too >.<

Thoughts???

They have no problems running xbox at 1080p via component in th US. The general comment is it looks amazing. There is an intermitent handshaking issue with the PS3 via HDMI, and the general opinion is it should be fixed by a firmware upgrade.

Christopher

Apart from the X in the model number they are what Samsung list as 1080p. They are obviously getting the info all from the same source.

What you mean to say is they are 1366x768 panels. They don't generally make aaaax720 for flat panel LCDs (Some projectors and RP TVs do though)

Most people refer to 768 panels as 720p and 1920x1080 as 1080p.

What a successful night!!

I left work armed with some internet print offs (40") and went to my first stop: JB in Elizabeth Street. The salesperson I spoke to tonight was far better and knew his stuff. I showed him the following page and he said it was a great price.

http://www.digitalcenter.com.au/p/325032/s...television.html

After a moment of thought he said he would beat $3339 that by $10. I thanked him and moved on to Myer. The bloke I have been dealing with there was also very good and it took him a LOT longer to think but also said he would match it because I had been in there so often and appeared extremely genuine to buy.

Finally I went to Harvey Norman at QV. I got talking to a nice bloke there and eventually asked for a quote on the 40". He didn't tell me a price, instead asking what I had previously been quoted. I showed him the print out and said it had subsequently been matched by Myer and bettered by $10 by JB. He plugged numbers into his computer and said he would do it for $3289. I thought about it and said it was a good price, but I had to think about it. He said "we don't like people who think" jokingly and I mentioned it was a lot of money. I then pulled out the OTHER quote I had ($3069 but that was for the 720p in fine print :blink:) but the price and model number was highlighted. He said that price was ridiculously low and we then got talking about the benefits and drawbacks of buying form online retails - although this place had a warehouse. I asked if he could do it for $3100 to $3150 and he said no. I then thought a while longer, chatted a bit more and made an offer of $3250. He considered it and said he would have to check with management. He returned a few minutes later and said he would do it on the proviso I made a 10% deposit tonight. So $325 later and I have a guaranteed 40" 1080p Samsung LCD which will be arriving in store next week. ALSO... if I find a better deal or decide I don't want it, the deposit is fully refundable which I don't understand, but now I have a no obligation quote in writing so that's awesome.

Apparently HN is getting about 40 units in next week, so check them out at QV in Melbourne City!

So $3250 is not quite as good as the bloke who got one for $3150 in Perth, but it's damn close and a whole lot better than what I could have really anticipated.