New Samsung 1080p Models?

Could someone please let me know is there any way to see the resolution that the program is being shown at? On my old Teac STB it would display 1440x1080 (or something like that) and I have had a look through all the menus but can't find anything on resolution at all?

Also, if you think you have a perfect picture set up could you please send me what contrast/colour/brightness and all the other video settings you have? I am a novice and all these setting are doing my head in.

Noddy

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the 40" M81 on Satuday. Went to the Good Guys at Mile End (SA) and bought the display model (3 days old) as it was the only stock they had. I think he said sticker price was $3600, and offered me $3350 off the bat. I said I wanted it for $3200 and he folded pretty easy.

Great tv, great colour and easy to use. Only issue is when it's showing all black the screen looks a bit blotchy. Not sure if this is due to is being a display model or what, but it's barely noticable and other than that I couldn't be happier.

Edited by Nalar

Great tv, great colour and easy to use. Only issue is when it's showing all black the screen looks a bit blotchy. Not sure if this is due to is being a display model or what, but it's barely noticable and other than that I couldn't be happier.

This site claims you can make those black clouds almost unnoticeable through settings... http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/2007/04/22/...m86bd-settings/

It's in the 40" UK model, but worth a try, I'm sure the TVs are the same as your M8. If not in this article, I think the review of this TV talks about it too on the same site.

Perhaps it's just a phase, but I'm considering upgrading my order to the 46". Can someone tell me approx. what price I should be looking for and also, is the 46" physically taller and wider, or just taller?

I knew I would go through the same phase mate as I was originally looking at 40", so I just went straight for the 46" to avoid regret.... Yes it's physically wider and taller. I think it's about 117cm physically wide (screen is 111cm wide). It looks to be physically about 3" taller. I saw them side by side, it looks significantly bigger in the store, so will look even bigger in my smallish lounge room. Depending on where you live, you can get the 46" under $4000 (see my previous posts in this thread). I always aim for $1000 less off the price of the 46" model...

I knew I would go through the same phase mate as I was originally looking at 40", so I just went straight for the 46" to avoid regret.... Yes it's physically wider and taller. I think it's about 117cm physically wide (screen is 111cm wide). It looks to be physically about 3" taller. I saw them side by side, it looks significantly bigger in the store, so will look even bigger in my smallish lounge room. Depending on where you live, you can get the 46" under $4000 (see my previous posts in this thread). I always aim for $1000 less off the price of the 46" model...

Cheers. I'm in Melbourne and I have my 40" locked down at $3250. At the end of the day, $750 isn't THAT much more to prevent having any regrets when I get it home. My only problem is the fact I'm moving into a new apartment and I have no idea how it will look. The current tenants had a 40" Samsung that looked really big, so will a 46" be too big?

Cheers. I'm in Melbourne and I have my 40" locked down at $3250. At the end of the day, $750 isn't THAT much more to prevent having any regrets when I get it home. My only problem is the fact I'm moving into a new apartment and I have no idea how it will look. The current tenants had a 40" Samsung that looked really big, so will a 46" be too big?

don't want to talk you into spending more if you dont need it :D but IMO $750 is worth it for the wow factor and extra size. It costs a lot more to upgrade from 46" --> 52" like 3000-4000???

I live in an apartment too, it will look big if a 40" looked big :blink: I visited my mum after buying my TV and the TV in her place was only a 32" in a huge living room, and i already thought her TV was big like a 40"... especially going from a non-wide screen TV to a widescreen, suddenly a lot more real-estate is actually used (no more black strips!) Then i realised maybe it's gonna be too big... But what's the harm? :P The most important thing is not being too big, but your viewing distance. If you are sitting too close in your apartment and it doesnt look good that close, then it may be a problem... Need to be a little further back for the 46" to look good... Up close I saw pixels... e.g. 1m away.

In all honesty, you will be fine either way... If you can think of somewhere else to spend $750 saved on... e.g. a PS3... then you might be happy that way.

don't want to talk you into spending more if you dont need it :D but IMO $750 is worth it for the wow factor and extra size. It costs a lot more to upgrade from 46" --> 52" like 3000-4000???

I live in an apartment too, it will look big if a 40" looked big :blink: I visited my mum after buying my TV and the TV in her place was only a 32" in a huge living room, and i already thought her TV was big like a 40"... especially going from a non-wide screen TV to a widescreen, suddenly a lot more real-estate is actually used (no more black strips!) Then i realised maybe it's gonna be too big... But what's the harm? :P The most important thing is not being too big, but your viewing distance. If you are sitting too close in your apartment and it doesnt look good that close, then it may be a problem... Need to be a little further back for the 46" to look good... Up close I saw pixels... e.g. 1m away.

In all honesty, you will be fine either way... If you can think of somewhere else to spend $750 saved on... e.g. a PS3... then you might be happy that way.

Already got my PS3 :P just need to get the right TV to play it on!! It would be easier if Samsung only made them on one size!

Already got my PS3 :D just need to get the right TV to play it on!! It would be easier if Samsung only made them on one size!

Make it easier for yourself :blink: If you can find the 46" <$4000, then get it.. Maybe you could organise something over the phone with Harvey Norman or Bing LEe in Sydney and get them to post it down for you... Say $3900 for the TV, $100 for delivery interstate... $4000... depends if you want extra warranty though... But for $4000 you could probably find that in Melb... Let us know how u go mate

Chairman7

If you mainly intend on watching TV, consider how much will be live and how much will be recorded. If the majority will be recorded, then don't base your opinion of the Samsung's on the built-in tuner. Consider the STV you'll be using.

I won't disagree and I'm not saying that the Samsung is no good. I have just realised that it does not do well what I need it to do well and what it does do well I won't be needing it do. - If that makes sense?

I want a TV for my 360 - I am sicking of playing games in standard def. Walking past JB and seeing Project Gotham running a HD TV made me think - "I want my TV to look like that."

My fiancee likes using our SD HDD/DvD recorder to tape programs and watch them later. We record on second lowest quality to get the maximum out the HD because she doesn't always get around to watching things promptly. Last week she watched an episode of Brisbane Extra from July 2006. She doesn't care about picture quality only about the ease of functionality.

I can't see myself getting blu-ray or a HDD DVD anytime soon - my attention span is such that I struggle to spend 2 hours on the couch watching a single movie.

Also I don't think I will regularly hooking up my PC. The LCDs seem really strong on that but again its something I won't be doing.

So when I consider my uses -

1) Xbox360

2) Xbox360

3) Foxtel (ESPN, Foxsports - bad signals on anything)

4) Taping programs on low quality for play back later

5) A music DVD once in a while

I think that a big plasma - and in particular the new 50 inch Samsung is a better choice. That's not a nock on the Samsung LCD or the people who are buying it. I don't mean it to sound like it.

That's the great thing about the range of TV and uses - there is enough flexibility to suit people's different needs.

Sorry from rambling I just wanted to try and make myself clear.

1) Xbox360

2) Xbox360

I think that a big plasma - and in particular the new 50 inch Samsung is a better choice.

Plasma is definitely at a better pricepoint for the large sizes if you don't need 1080p. I actually preferred plasma, but needed 1080p so went with LCD. My concern with plasma was burn in with my XBOX360 and PS3... don't want a tacho from PGR stuck on the screen now do we? :blink: Nah, I'm pretty sure burn in aint such a big problem these days...

Welcome! Good luck - I'm waiting for mine to arrive, so will surely let you know if I get the same prob and can fix it.. Did you notice it in a dark room, or well-lit?

Both TBH, although it wasn't overly bright when I first noticed it. I think the backlight is cranked up to 5, so that would more than likely be the reason (better than the 10 it is set to by default).

I'll be getting a copy of dvd essentials soon, so hopefully I can rectify the issue by tuning it with that. I'm glad this is a product of the backlight and nothing to do with the tv!

Side by side playing the same thing is always the best :P Had to call around a lot before I found a store which had the Sony X and Samsung M side by side. I brought Matrix and Lord of the Rings DVDs... (You should be familiar with the lovely lord of the rings backdrops from NZ :P) and tried them on both. I couldn't really tell them apart, they both looked awesome to me...

My M81 is coming in tmr and I only have DVDs.. and will be playing DIVx's from my laptop... Let me know what tests you want me to do and I'll do my best to get you some answers...

Many thanks, supacheap1 - that's very kind! If you'd be able to compare sideways panning movement (especially in fast-action scenes) from your laptop xvid's/divx's with that of the internal laptop screen for jerkiness and possible dropped frames (just your impression, don't need any scientific analysis here), that would be great. I recommend toggling the internal laptop screen off when watching the external TV display (clone mode off), as that usually stresses gfx cards too much and results in frame-loss. If you want to really give it a workout and you've got a broadband connection, you could also try some of the hi-def demo downloads!

Yes, I used to live nearby to some of the LotR shooting locations, amazing job they did! If you like the movies as much as me, you'll no doubt be hanging out for the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray versions coming early next year - have you seen this HD broadcast vs DVD comparison? :blink:

But was the DVD being upscaled to 1080?.....did you see if the DVD player was connected via HDMI?

Hi PanaSung. Well, I demo'd the Sony X in one of the "official" Sony Stores here in Auckland. Which means that the X was connected to a PS3 (of course!), which can't do DVD up-scaling at present (upgrade apparently in pipeline). So I'm reasonably confident there was no up-scaling being done, except by the TV. PS3 was connected via HDMI. We compared the same scene in xXx (the Vin Diesel motorbike scene) on Blu-Ray and DVD, and DVD suffered from upscaling problems, while the Blu-Ray looked much better but didn't appear overly smooth with fast motion, IMHO. But hey, it could always be the movie transfer at fault, or me having a 'bad eye' day - I'm open to possibilities! :D Which is why I'm interested in other's thoughts about the smoothness and upscaling abilities of the Samsung vs the Bravia X.

CB

I just called Harvey Norman to get a quote on upsizing. The salesperosn I dealt with in Friday wasn't in so I spoke to someone else instead. He told me about $4500 was the lowest they can go given they haven't yet received stock. I told him others have been getting it for sub-4 and he pretty much gave me a straight out no. I will strongly consider it for sub-$4k, but no way for anything over.

To some of us the default settings on the Sony X series look disgusting and intolerable once you get over the initial wow factor.

The image is over bright, has excessive contrast and no shadow detail, is artificially sharpened and has over saturated artificial colour. So I worry when people say that the Sony looks better then the new Sammy’s with default settings, as it says a lot about peoples perceptions of what constitutes a “good” picture.

To each his own I suppose.

I am also curious how many people interested in the new Sammy’s will NOT be doing a significant amount of gaming on there new TV?

If you are one of those few, what attracts you to the LCD’s over a 50” Panasonic Plasma for example?

Before you jump in and say resolution, my next question is at what distance will you view your new TV?

I’m not criticizing here, or suggesting people not buy the Sammy LCD’s, just trying to get a grip on why people are interested in LCD and what motivates their purchase decisions.

The gaming question is of particular interest to me as it seems that the vast majority of forum member are gamers.

Maybe I should start a poll on this topic.

I won't disagree and I'm not saying that the Samsung is no good. I have just realised that it does not do well what I need it to do well and what it does do well I won't be needing it do. - If that makes sense?

I want a TV for my 360 - I am sicking of playing games in standard def. Walking past JB and seeing Project Gotham running a HD TV made me think - "I want my TV to look like that."

My fiancee likes using our SD HDD/DvD recorder to tape programs and watch them later. We record on second lowest quality to get the maximum out the HD because she doesn't always get around to watching things promptly. Last week she watched an episode of Brisbane Extra from July 2006. She doesn't care about picture quality only about the ease of functionality.

I can't see myself getting blu-ray or a HDD DVD anytime soon - my attention span is such that I struggle to spend 2 hours on the couch watching a single movie.

Also I don't think I will regularly hooking up my PC. The LCDs seem really strong on that but again its something I won't be doing.

1) Xbox360

2) Xbox360

I think that a big plasma - and in particular the new 50 inch Samsung is a better choice. That's not a nock on the Samsung LCD or the people who are buying it. I don't mean it to sound like it.

That's the great thing about the range of TV and uses - there is enough flexibility to suit people's different needs.

Sorry from rambling I just wanted to try and make myself clear.

Gotcha. All clear. And you're right, 1080p might be overkill for your uses, depnding on the price you can afford.

With your useage in mind, there' sooooo much available, beit plasma or LCD. 1366 x 768 sounds just right for you and you're gonna do your head in with trying to make up your mind from the vast choices and prices. My mate has a 60" DLP rear pro TV and uses it for Xbox 360, computer and PS3 and doesn't see a need to go any higher res, yet...

SuperCheap raises a good issue re image/screen burn-in. Both formats suffer the "disease" but plasma much more prevalent than LCD.

So if your XBox 360 is often left on a game menu you may want to head towards LCD.

What's your price range and what have you seen that is grabbing your attention now?

I'll be using mine for a decent chunk of console related gaming, and possibly for some pc gaming also. The primary reason for going LCD being burn in, res (@ < 2m) and as a secondary consideration power consumption.

A large amount of use will be watching videos from my PC. Not sure what would have been best here, but I'm very happy with the quality on my new screen.

To some of us the default settings on the Sony X series look disgusting and intolerable once you get over the initial wow factor.

The image is over bright, has excessive contrast and no shadow detail, is artificially sharpened and has over saturated artificial colour. So I worry when people say that the Sony looks better then the new Sammy’s with default settings, as it says a lot about peoples perceptions of what constitutes a “good” picture.

To each his own I suppose.

I am also curious how many people interested in the new Sammy’s will NOT be doing a significant amount of gaming on there new TV?

If you are one of those few, what attracts you to the LCD’s over a 50” Panasonic Plasma for example?

Before you jump in and say resolution, my next question is at what distance will you view your new TV?

I’m not criticizing here, or suggesting people not buy the Sammy LCD’s, just trying to get a grip on why people are interested in LCD and what motivates their purchase decisions.

The gaming question is of particular interest to me as it seems that the vast majority of forum member are gamers.

Maybe I should start a poll on this topic.

As you'll see from my signature, my use is HTPC. No gaming whatsoever (yet), and don't really intend to (no time). Purely videophile looking for the ultimate in image detail.

Very happy with image quality and I've set it up using a calibration disc (Avia Guide to Home Theater), although I can't recall the settings now. But I definitely had to dial down the power settings for the brightness.

Other reason I chose Sammy was price and cabinet styling. Cabinet didn't have enough space for the backlight panel and side speaker placement of the Bravia and I didn't like the silver finish. I guess I'm a minimalist for styling.

Even though my model is the old LA40F71BX, I thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

Thanks for responding mate, and I’m glad you are happy with your purchase.

Was there a reason why you did not buy a 42” or 50” Plasma, since you say you don’t game and are after the best picture quality for video?

I am also curious about your viewing distance with a 40” panel.

Thanks for responding mate, and I’m glad you are happy with your purchase.

Was there a reason why you did not buy a 42” or 50” Plasma, since you say you don’t game and are after the best picture quality for video?

I am also curious about your viewing distance with a 40” panel.

40" Sammy would fit into my cabinet perfectly. Any size larger would've not worked.

Also, power consumption, heat generation (the screen is right next to my HTPC), image burn-in and I couldn't find a 1080p plasma for that price.

An interesting point...

I've also considered what you guys have mentioned above. I'll be using the TV mainly for gaming and movies. We currently have a 37inch Hitachi plasma and it's fantastic and most of the tv will be watched this panel even though we aren't using and STB's. The FTA signal direct from antenna is good enough!

I'm a little picky when it comes to getting a new panel and my shortlist is the Sony and Samsung (surprise surprise). But not really in a hurry to buy so I might wait for the new x series, no definite dates yet but hopefully in the next 3-4 months. Technology is improving at an exponential rate so todays models will be discounted even more in the near future.

Personally, I'm still not sold on LCD's yet. There are still many pro's and con's and I think buyers need to look at what they will be using the panel for. Just because it's the latest 1080p model might not necessarily mean it's the best or the most suitable.