Hd Gear A Waste Of Money!

Cost of Foxtel nothing - it is an absolute waste of money in my opinion because as I and several other explained to you earlier, Foxtel has the same crap that is on FTA, but at lower resolution than HD SD FTA, and for around $800 a year extra to boot! You like Foxtel, don't force it down everyone else's throat. Noone here has necessarily argued that we couldn't afford Foxtel, it was a matter of personal preference based on the garbage that Foxtel serves up as much as anything else.

Think you mean SD FTA? :blink:

We're talking about the price differences being roughly something like this:

66CM CRT - $400

76CM HD CRT - $1000

105CM SD Plasma - $1200

105CM HD (720P) Plasma - $2400

125CM True HD (1080P) Plasma - $15,000 $11,000 (Pio RRP has dropped already).

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fall back on the truth".

lol lol lol ad infinitum (see I can get all Latin on you as well)

as well as a superior experience for Australia's number one content provider.

please provide facts (ie truth) to back this up.

Even if there are 1 million foxtel subscribers in Australia, they are far outweighed by the 20 million odd who have access to FTA for free.

Andrew.

I like FOXTEL - I like to be able to choose from the different programs they have.

and the IQ enables me to watch programs when I want to.

Don't over 1million Australian homes have the same opinion as me ???

If you don't want to pay for FOXTEL then don't - I do not see the point in always bagging it in public forums though - if I didn't like FOXTEL I would just do without it and get on with my life.

If you don't want to pay for FOXTEL then don't - I do not see the point in always bagging it in public forums though - if I didn't like FOXTEL I would just do without it and get on with my life.

I did (got rid of it) and I have (got on with my life).

But I get wound up when I see Foxtel fanbots claiming that it is the number 1 content provider in Australia (and that we should all limit our display purchasing decisions so as not to show up the flaws in the woeful foxtel picture quality).

Andrew.

Ironic, the same thing shoud be said to those who keep saying HD is a waste of money (which is what this thread is supposedly about).

With prices falling as fast as they are, is this thread relevant anymore?????

was this thread ever relevant ?

let's just remind ourselves of the post that started it all (I've highlighted the parts with troll like tendencies)

After much deliberation and testing I ended up following Choice magazine's advice and bought a SD plasma. I got the a Panasonic 106cm TH-42PA60A because the picture was superior to the other SD plasmas. Couldn't be happier and saved a fortune that would have been wasted on HD gear. At a comfortable viewing distance far enough away that you are not constantly having to move your eyes/head to follow the action (very tiring) of around 3-4m, there is NO difference in picture quality to full HD gear, and SD pictures are far superior on a SD plasma than a HD plasma. This is true whether you have perfect vision (as I do) or not. Don't waste your money on HD gear and don't buy an LCD tv, they can't display black properly and all have a narrow viewing angle no matter what they claim. LCD's are only useful as a computer monitor.

lol lol lol ad infinitum (see I can get all Latin on you as well)

please provide facts (ie truth) to back this up.

Even if there are 1 million foxtel subscribers in Australia, they are far outweighed by the 20 million odd who have access to FTA for free.

Andrew.

Is that you Andy?

Andy ole mate, Foxtel has approx 60-75 TV channels+30 or so radio channels....IOW, Foxtel is Australia's number one content provider.

Do pay attention please :blink:

Good point Doug.

As I said before, I'm certainly not against the idea of Foxtel improving either it's PQ or it's content/content delivery......but as I mentioned previously, "Enemy of the State" looked pretty damn good on my lounge-room 68cm CRT, and that was via a scart-composite.

I'm still at a loss to understand why the HD panel owners group seem intent on distorting my message.......I must say, I really get the feeling some of them bought the tech, and then set in motion a plan to find ways of using their new toys, rather than originally having a strong interest in HD FTA broadcasts{not that I can understand why grown ups bother with FTA....to each his own I guess}.

I'm sure many of the people "reading" this thread will be interested in your opinion on Foxtel PQ via your new Plasma.

Good luck,....... I hope it meets your expectations.

and then that people should wait for a 1080P, which in my opinion is only going to make Foxtel look even shoddier. The arguments just aren't sound and based on one view but are a scatter approach and ill disciplined.

Nonsense SDL.

I actually said that price drops and content supply will mesh nicely, allowing for some good ole fashioned value for money from a proper spec-ed piece of equipment.

FYI, CH9&10 broadcast in 1080i, and Bray/HD DVD are 720p-1080p spec.

You also forget that Foxtel is moving towards HD in a few yrs, thus the timing is spot on.

{not that I can understand why grown ups bother with FTA....to each his own I guess}.

Well, I used to have Foxtel (analog) a couple of years back, then got a Tivo PVR running, which has now been replaced with a Mythtv PVR/HTPC. There are more shows that I can record on FTA digital than I have time to watch. And I can keep them as long as I like and rewatch them as many times as I like, and fast fwd through the ads. Not quite like the Foxtel IQ where you are at the mercy of Foxtel's policies on what/when/how many times you can watch a program.

So FTA has been very good to me, and the PQ on many shows is outstanding (I only record SD today but even this is v good in most cases, apart from Channel 9 where Star Trek Enterprise is often blocky and horrid).

So FTA has been very good to me, and the PQ on many shows is outstanding (I only record SD today but even this is v good in most cases, apart from Channel 9 where Star Trek Enterprise is often blocky and horrid).

Indulis.

I'm not asking that people bear their soul WRT why they favour FTA.....it's just my opinion that overall, FTA is worthless content-wise, as such, no matter it's resolution, bitrate or compression, it's all junk to me, and by all accounts, close to 1 million other Ozzies agree.

On the Internet, a troll is a person who posts messages that create controversy or an angry response without adding content to the discussion, often intentionally.

Originally this term applied to people who were intentionally posting flamebait, by analogy with the fishing technique: metaphorically, these people were dragging a conversational lure through the group, hoping for a response. The concept of "this person is trolling us" became shortened to "this person is a troll", and picked up the folkloric association.

Trolling mostly maintains its earlier meaning of posting messages specifically in order to elicit an particular response, usually anger or argument.

The noun form, troll, is sometimes used in the more general sense of someone who stirs up controversy, whether or not the controversy itself is their goal. Frequently this is used to discredit one position in an argument. By asserting that one's opponents are trolls, one is asserting that they are only maintaining their position in order to feed the flames, and that their position is actually indefensible.

Common types of troll messages:

off topic messages

inflammatory messages

messages containing an obvious flaw or error

An example of a troll message would be one that denounces a particular religion in a religion newsgroup.

There is some generally-accepted wisdom about dealing with Internet trolls: "Don't feed the trolls, that will only encourage them." That is, do not respond to them, that is the attention they desire.

http://nostalgia.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

On the Internet, a troll is a person who posts messages that create controversy or an angry response without adding content to the discussion, often intentionally.

Common types of troll messages:

off topic messages

inflammatory messages

messages containing an obvious flaw or error

An example of a troll message would be one that denounces a particular religion in a religion newsgroup.

There is some generally-accepted wisdom about dealing with Internet trolls: "Don't feed the trolls, that will only encourage them." That is, do not respond to them, that is the attention they desire.

http://nostalgia.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

OMG :blink: we found ourselves a real life De luxe type 'TROLL'

Good hunting Aloysius.. did he give you much of a fight??

I am only answering the original post. I had a 42 pana 600 and thought it was great. Then I saw a sony 46x and I could not cope with the low res picture anymore. So I upgraded. Also I have foxtel satelite and it is way better than sd fta. I mostly watch blu ray or downloaded movies. To each his own.

{not that I can understand why grown ups bother with FTA....to each his own I guess}.

Thats it isnt?....it all makes sense now......youre an infant trapped in a mans body :blink:

You dont have a flipping clue do you?

You probably think Native Resolution is a Marxist uprising in Fiji :D

Its ok guys its just a kid on his daddys computer. :P

Hell be back at Skool soon

Tell us Master Dung...what do you want to be when you grow up?

"I wanna work at Foxtel Mr mello....I wanna bring 16:9 whitecream to Australian viewers....so they dont get sunburnt from their CRTs" :P

:P:P

I usually completely agree with this policy. However on this forum, I know for a fact a lot of people come here and actually read and follow the advice given in such threads and make purchasing decisions based on them.

So when Panasung has one of his BS moments and posts a new spin on the same old tired agenda, and posts it as though it is irrefutable fact backed up by others on this forum - especially when he pretends to be agreeing with a previous poster's point when no such point was ever made - then he needs to be challanged to put up or shut up.

I'm very happy with my "HD" (x768) 42" Pana Plasma, I've had it for almost 1.5 years and likely will keep it for just as long again. I'm not interested in forcing others to buy the same as me, or to make myself feel better about my purchase. But I am very concerned about regular people who are delving into the world of digital TV and audio/video gear for the first time and who come here, only to be mislead by Panasung's BS.

I know when I first came here over two years ago, I was quite willing to accept what some of the apparently more reputable posters said on face value. Fortunately I also did some research and shopping around, but don't underestimate how much a stupid generalization or misleading statement by Panasung can affect the lurkers here. Which is why this troll must be challenged and not coddled.

Is that you Andy?

Oh My Freaking God!

Are you two ?

Is that the best you can do ? Name calling ?

Give me a break.

Actually I take the are you two ? comment back, I get a better conversation out of my two year old son.

Andrew.

You probably think Native Resolution is a Marxist uprising in Fiji :blink:

Now that is a classic post :D

Andrew.

Indulis.

I'm not asking that people bear their soul WRT why they favour FTA.....it's just my opinion that overall, FTA is worthless content-wise, as such, no matter it's resolution, bitrate or compression, it's all junk to me, and by all accounts, close to 1 million other Ozzies agree.

So why are you trying to impose your opinion on indulis and responding by saying his choice is worthless?....hes only offering his opinion as part of a thread and he did answer your question...you just didnt like the answer. Its all part of being grown up.....taking the good with the bad. Are you ready to bend over and take it?

So you are resorting to attacking individual posts now?

Attack me if you like ...oh thats right you already have....

Mello.

Even though your form of discussion is nothing but caveman style ad hom, at least you're .....<bla bla bla insert misconceived assumption here >

There's a number of funny things happening in this thread....

thats right...and the jokes on you

There's the funny statements about me being a troll.....correct..you are

There's the funny statements from HD panels owners about lousy PQ with Foxtel on both Plasma and LCD. dont forget CRT..Foxtels PQ is woeful on ANY display

There's the funny notion that the one million Foxtel subscribers don't exist/matter. one million viewers hardly makes a majority in a country of 20 million does it? not very good at maths either are you.......have you heard of ratings?

There's the funny out of context remarks and slight of hand by a number of HD panel owners{or aspiring HD owners}. funny I thought that was the topic of this thread......out of context..to what..to Foxtel?.......the value of HD is the context of this thread....not Foxtel.

There's the funny inverted definition of ad hom used by actual ad hom perpetrators. I attacked your argument....read it again.....and I threw in one or two insults along the way....you seem to be obsessed with ad something or other..oh yeah lets throw to an ad now..itll be just like watching Poxtel

There's the funny notion that I don't know what I'm talking about, even when I use your own words/critical comments to highlight my position. Well you prove that everytime you open your mouth..and thats exactly the point...you really dont know what you are talking about...you are clueless.....and this Forum resents misleading information posted here.....dont you get it?

Here's some advice to others reading this and wondering how I'm able to stay so cool despite being literally under attack from all corners...."when under attack/pressure....fall back on the truth".

You seem to have plan of action for when you come under attack....did you foresee this or do you often come under attack? Who really cares if you are cool or not...except for you maybe. You smell more and more like a troll with every utterance

I'd be willing to bet that a survey of any 20 random people would reveal 2 things,....1, most people are clueless about "all things HD", and 2....most people would assume that top dollar Plasma and LCD would produce a superior PQ as well as a superior experience for Australia's number one content provider.

1 Only if you responded to the survey yourself 20 times

and

2 In 4:3 aspect ratio...yeah sure...number one mate...fully sick...yeah right :D

Good idea lets have a poll :P ........umm.......I dont think you are going to like it :blink:

:P:P:P

Folks.

If I've done nothing else, I've made a lot of people sit up and take notice, take notice of the fact that "most" HD panel owners are seething at Foxtel PQ on their HD panels.....I should also point out that even my lowly PC CRT+HDTV makes my Foxtel picture appear grainy and slightly pixelated, imagine what it'd be like switching between proper 720p/1080i broadcasts back to Foxtel on your large HD panel........KOWABUNGA, LOL.

Ok so FTA is one of the reasons you're going to get a HD panel...well guess what, C7 is 576p at best, and it doesn't compare to a proper 720p broadcast whatsoever, let alone a 1080i.....and don't get me started on SBS.

You've currently got 10&9 doing the right thing and broadcasting at 1080i{yummy}, but unfortunately, most of the programing isn't a proper 1080i signal, it's often SD pumped up to 1080i resolution.

All I'm doing is trying to provide some balance to the "HD means the world to me and I can't live without it" mentality.......cause the fact is, atm, we're in the middle of a format war, a HD standards war of sorts, and the emergence of proper 1080p panels, albeit at significant cost for a TV!

Me, I'm in limbo so to speak.....I just got back from reading a Tom's Hardware article on 32in HD LCD's and it's all bad news from my POV, ie, they apparently suck for PC use in general.....and I was planning to get one as an all purpose device, but it looks like I'll have to bypass this round of panels for anything other than HDTV{which I barely watch}.

Make no mistake, the 720p broadcast I saw on Sunday arvo was awesome.....I recorded a section of it, and when I opened it in my WMP, the image looked like it was floating and distinct from the surrounds of Windows media player, however, not all 720p and 1080i's are created equal.....and you can forget about getting excited over Ch7's stoneage 576p.

Btw, 1080p sets are desirable because they're the new high end standard, IOW, there won't be much in the way of consumer products or media that will support anything higher than it for some time, so if you can wait it out, then once you've got your hands on a 1080p panel, you'll be laughing.