Do You Have A Question About Austar?

First time user of forum and hope am doing correctly.

Blown hi fi

Austar reply / my letter.

Dear John

Thanks for your email and if there has been a delay in my responding, I apologise. I have taken the time to investigate your claim and in doing so have spoken with those who have previously advised you that we will not be responsible the damage you say has been caused by the AUSTAR Equipment. The Customer Agreement you entered into does state in part that we do not accept liability for any damage caused to your equipment which may occur using the AUSTAR TV service.

Subscription television is such that changes and updates are frequently delivered to our Equipment by satellite downloads and in the early ours of the morning when we have found there is minimal impact on viewing. We will continue to carry out this activity as this is an industry accepted practice.

Whilst I can understand this may be disappointing, we formally deny your claim for damage. If you remain dissatisfied, may we respectfully suggest you contact the Fair Trading Authority in your State or Territory: http://www.astra.org.au/content/pdf/codes/SNTAttachmentB.pdf

Regards

Ken Fountain

--Original Message--

Date: 28/07/2009 9:57:57 AM

To: ask@austar.com.au

Subject: damage claim

to: Austar Television

Att: Claims / Administration

Re: Damaged Audio Equipment

cc: Kearle & Co.

JV06A35

Account No: 29238054

Dear Sirs,

This is my 3rd or so attempt including written correspondence sent to your Gold Coast office some months ago in reference to damage caused to Hi Fi equipment as a direct result of your service connection.

As a loyal customer since your inception, I would appreciate a reply to this correspondence and a return telephone call to discuss this matter a a matter of priority.

My austar service as many would have, is connected through my Hi Fi equipment of which has been extensively damaged ( again ) due to your "early AM" re boot download.

Upon my recent early AM interstae flight preparations ( 3 Am or so ) and as always my austar service turned off by remote control, an extreme audio scream was experienced from equipment at the same time I noticed your re boot excersise was taking place on the television set.

Immediately thereafter all audio was lost as with a distinctive burning smell.

As for some background re this matter for your information, I have experienced the same fault to equipment twice before over the years at which time I had not aligned with your service rather than that of equipment / component failure etc.

On both occassions I have had equipment repaired at my own subsatncial cost and at a loss as to cause after the 1st event as the 2nd was only some months later.

After serious "run ins" with repairer after the first repair failure the issue seemed to have been solved, or as I tought until the last event.

The equipment whilst older in generation is a professional Rotel / VaF HI Fi audio system costing in excess o $25,000 some years ago.

Replacement of the same today is of the similar value.

Whilst there is some "satisfaction" in locating the cause of this failure in thew past the repair cost is not !

I am seeking immediate satisfaction re this last event as a direct fault of my Austar service and I would expect an urgent response in addressing this matter, especially considering past events and their assocaited costs, as I am sure you can appreciate.

Upon discussions with electronic technicians here in Cairns of which seem to have had many such cases recently it is clear that any uncontolled user re boot on your behalf over rides any "pre set" remote / set top box settings, and as many audio levels vary dramatically across austar channels the input of any direct raw feeds at un known levels will ultimately "spike" any system.

This issue MUST be made availble to users of Austar.

The Hi Fi system in question is fitted with professional anti spike power protection including power surge via satellite feed.

I have current written estimate to have equipment repaired ex professional establishement here in Cairns of which I will forward after your reply and discussions.

Regards

John Vivian

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Austar's continual daily / nightly restarts of their equipment is more about keeping the bug ridden pieces of rubbish working than updates / changes. Not only that but the idiot firmware in the standard STBs appears to also respond to the trigger for the 'series link' update for the MyStars.

How hopeless can one organisation be?

The equipment whilst older in generation is a professional Rotel / VaF HI Fi audio system costing in excess o $25,000 some years ago.

Replacement of the same today is of the similar value.

Sorry dude, but you're an utter fool for paying that much for equipment that doesn't have input signal protection. Correctly designed equipment should be able to handle all input variables that could be expected on a signal feed line. Your expensive and inferior equipment clearly does not have adequate input protection as a result of poor design and testing and you have discovered the consequences. Much much cheaper amplifiers can handle the outputs from the Austar STB's without issue so you should take up your complaints with the manufacturer of your audio equipment since it is clearly not fit for purpose.

I also have my Austar gear attached to my home theatre system, and because of the same reboot issue every morning, we pull the plug on the whole lot every night now.

I hate to be a poor shift worker, right in the middle of a movie or whatever every night, and the reboot comes in...also not much use setting your pvr or video either, as it always boots back to 101 on our decoder.

• 3 weeks later...

Why oh why do these flippin idiots reboot there system during live interactive sport???????????????????

Woke at 4:40am to tape the soccer, i had to press red and choose the match press rec, go back to bed then wake up in the morn get ready for work check my recording and Austar rebooted 5 mins into the match grrrrrrrrrr the box goes to the match on fox1 not the match i want ****ing not happy.

Edited by sacka37

• 8 months later...

I am attempting to set up my TV, Austar & DVD recorder connections, to allow me to tape programs from Austar (or programs I reply from Mystar hard drive). I have a LG LCD TV, LG DVD recorder & standard Austar connection (not HD). If you could please tell me how I would set up connections to allow myself to record programs from Austar, it would be greatly appreciated. Especially considering that the Mystar is now becoming full and I need to clear up some space to record future programs.

Thank you in advance.

If you could please tell me how I would set up connections to allow myself to record programs from Austar, it would be greatly appreciated. Especially considering that the Mystar is now becoming full and I need to clear up some space to record future programs.

Should be able to connect Mystar output to TV as normal (lets assume AV1 on TV). Next connect output (playback) sockets of the DVD recorder to a different TV input (lets say AV2 on TV). Finally connect the Mystar output (either piggyback the connections, or use one of the other free output types) to the input (record) sockets on the DVD recorder.

Note that depending on the particular DVD recorder you may find that recording from Mystar will be affected by the Macrovision encryption that Austar apply to the playback off their hard disk. Some DVD recorders are ok but others complain. If that's the case you'll need a video stabiliser (in the video cable you run from the Mystar to the DVD recorder) to remove the encryption.

Edited by Swagman51

Ads show that MyStar HD subscribers should be able to see the FOX Sports '3D' transmission. The STB itself shouldn't really matter - providing it can decode MPEG-4 AVC HD of course - as its a 'side by side' format, from what I gather.

Dear Austar Claus

My wish list

- An Austar iPhone App to record programs remotely.. Like foxtel

- A Kids remote like foxtels "MiniMote" for my kids

- "Record Me" like foxtel again lol, selected ads just click a button to book a recording for the show..

- In general be more like foxtel :-)

Thankyou Austar Claus

Dear Austar Claus

My wish list

- An Austar iPhone App to record programs remotely.. Like foxtel

- A Kids remote like foxtels "MiniMote" for my kids

- "Record Me" like foxtel again lol, selected ads just click a button to book a recording for the show..

- In general be more like foxtel :-)

Thankyou Austar Claus

The MiniMote will work on austar anyway.

Can you be little like foxtel and supply better quality pictures throughout?

I've just moved from a foxtel to an austar area and had to switch from standard foxtel to mystar.

I will spare you with comments on the dreadfulness of the picture quality and quality of the box itself but I have 3 questions.

1. Is the picture quality different on mystar hd?

2. Is there an independent manufacturer's box that I can replace the mystar box with for better picture quality (not necessarily pvr)

3. Given that I have a dish and the only reason I subscribe to pay tv is because of the EPL I watch on foxsports, the UEFA CL and NBA I watch on espn, is there any box I could connect to the dish and have those sports programs in case I decide to ditch austar altogether?

Thanks for your input which is much appreciated!

Edited by Kastro

• 3 weeks later...

It doesn't work for me, but that it doesn't work should be no surprise. It is Austar after all.

Everything will be explained soon.

Austar got a brand new site almost as good as foxtel website its only available to certain people but it has every little bit of information available about austar anywhere.

At the moment its being trialed.

Given Austar's less than perfect record I'll believe it when I see it - fully functional. After all, how many years has the MyStar been out now and MyStar HD appears to be following down the same path of unreliability.

Given Austar's less than perfect record I'll believe it when I see it - fully functional. After all, how many years has the MyStar been out now and MyStar HD appears to be following down the same path of unreliability.

I had the original mystar, highly recommend it for a doorstop, oran assult weapon against intruders, but the mystar hd has so far been 100 times better, only a hiccup or two, and compared to my beyonwiz it aint too bad. I dont expect to see Austar bringing out anything near as good as Foxtel's website or download service, it is Austar, where near enough is good enough, shut up and give us your money, thats all they want.