Do You Have A Question About Austar?

Showtime & showcase broadcast in Dolby AC3 & standard stereo while Movie network despite persistent rumours continues to broadcast in standard stereo only.

Unless you have a STB with digital audio out (that rules out most Austar subscribers) you only get to listen to the stereo MPEG audio track... and for showcase that means the 'stunning' quality of 128k L2. The others are 256k L2. :blink:

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I was wondering where on the Flinders Austar Box are the recievers for the remote cause i want to connect a av sender with a ir cable to the box as it the wall cable isn't in the correct room when we moved in.

Cheers

I believe it is slightly to the left or right of the screen, if it's anything like Titan.

Hi Guys, i can not get my sony hdd recorder to record the box office chanel, can any one help me, i am desperate to get this feature working, the sony model is RDR-HX1010 400gb storage, please some one help, regards macone.

Edited by macone

Assuming you are getting messages stating that the recording is denied or something else to suggest that the recorders 'sees' the program but refuses to record it, click here

Of course, you may well be better served by going to your local DVD rental shop and renting the disc. It'll most likely cost less than FBO too. Most of the stuff on FBO is available in the 50 cent or $1 section of Blockbuster where I live.

Assuming you are getting messages stating that the recording is denied or something else to suggest that the recorders 'sees' the program but refuses to record it, click here

Of course, you may well be better served by going to your local DVD rental shop and renting the disc. It'll most likely cost less than FBO too. Most of the stuff on FBO is available in the 50 cent or $1 section of Blockbuster where I live.

Thanks DRP for replying, when i record of FBO all i get is a light grey screen, will the "remove macrovision" solve this or do you know of a way around this?

regards macone

Thanks DRP for replying, when i record of FBO all i get is a light grey screen, will the "remove macrovision" solve this or do you know of a way around this?

regards macone

Hi, im getting Austar on wednesday in the PM but have to work, do the installers actually call you, i know i ticketed it on the install sheet but i have had other installers not ring me after i have asked them to ring me. How long on avg is an installation, it has been installed her before apparently but there is no dish on the roof.

Hi, im getting Austar on wednesday in the PM but have to work, do the installers actually call you, i know i ticketed it on the install sheet but i have had other installers not ring me after i have asked them to ring me. How long on avg is an installation, it has been installed her before apparently but there is no dish on the roof.

The installer might not call you, depends on who it is. They called us when we got the Mystar installed last year. The installation itself will probably take an hour and a half or more.

The installer might not call you, depends on who it is. They called us when we got the Mystar installed last year. The installation itself will probably take an hour and a half or more.

Dang really....hmmm my lunch break aint that long lol.....otherwise i have to wait another two weeks tilli get it installed....im prepared to take the gamble

• 1 month later...

I jsut moved from my house which i jsut got austar installed into a new house which austar has been with before. there are several points in the house where it has been and a sat on the roof. i have plugged it into the new place and it jsut says scan on the display of the box. on the av source it has an austar screen that is looking for 54 channels but nothing. i had a phone call today from austar but my battery went flat half way through and i was at work, but before we got disconnected he said i only need to change one setting. BUT WHAT!!! please help

I jsut moved from my house which i jsut got austar installed into a new house which austar has been with before. there are several points in the house where it has been and a sat on the roof. i have plugged it into the new place and it jsut says scan on the display of the box. on the av source it has an austar screen that is looking for 54 channels but nothing. i had a phone call today from austar but my battery went flat half way through and i was at work, but before we got disconnected he said i only need to change one setting. BUT WHAT!!! please help

Check that LNB power is set to 'on'

Check the LNB Frequency and change it to whatever its not set to. If it works on 11300MHz, call Austar and tell them to get their ass to your place and change the LNB on your roof for you to a 10700 LNB.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest xdenix

hi i have a question how do i connect my austar to my dvd recorder

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen,

As some of you are no doubt aware, I am an AUSTAR employee who posts in these forums for the purpose of helping out the customers where possible, even if I do happen to dig myself into a hole at times ;)

I have created this thread for those who have a genuine question for me about AUSTAR. I promise that as long as the question is direct, free of derogatory comments or tone, and constructive, I will answer where possible, or endeavour to find out for you if I do not know myself.

Any business rules stated here are not open for discussion or complaint, I am simply here to help where possible in providing information or advice, to help the customers be informed.

Any post that breaks my rules will not be answered. The rules are as follows:

1. No swearing.

2. No negative comments, name calling etc.

3. Genuine questions only.

I look forward to helping all you budding subscription TV patrons out where possible.

Guest xdenix

could you possibly give me full direction on how to set up austar to my dvd recorder

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen,

As some of you are no doubt aware, I am an AUSTAR employee who posts in these forums for the purpose of helping out the customers where possible, even if I do happen to dig myself into a hole at times ;)

I have created this thread for those who have a genuine question for me about AUSTAR. I promise that as long as the question is direct, free of derogatory comments or tone, and constructive, I will answer where possible, or endeavour to find out for you if I do not know myself.

Any business rules stated here are not open for discussion or complaint, I am simply here to help where possible in providing information or advice, to help the customers be informed.

Any post that breaks my rules will not be answered. The rules are as follows:

1. No swearing.

2. No negative comments, name calling etc.

3. Genuine questions only.

I look forward to helping all you budding subscription TV patrons out where possible.

So, on the back of your DVD recorder, you should have some inputs. Now, me not being there, I don't know what they look like. But it's a safe bet that one of them is your standard Yellow\White\Red AV cable. On the back of your Austar box, you should have these too. If there's already a set there, great! Simply unplug them from whatever they're plugged into at the moment (by the sounds of things, this would be your TV), and plug them into the back ofo your DVD recorder. Change your DVD recorder to the appropriate input (Probably via an AV button, although with some they can appear after your last channel, i.e. 2, 7, 9, 10, 28, AV1, etc.)

If your Austar box is connected to the TV via component (five cables, a blue one, green one, red one, white one and another red one), check if your DVD recorder has this. Ditto for S-Video, which is three cables - one that sort of looks like a PS/2 mouse port on a computer. If you can, use Component. It's the best quality. Next, try S-Video. The the Yellow\white\red cables (known as Composite). If none of these are available, you'll have to use RF, which egenerally results in a slightly fuzzy image, and is harder to set up (You have to set the Austar box's RF Channel, then you have to tune the DVD recorder into that channel).

I hope I have been of some help!

Guest xdenix

hi thanks for that as i am not very technical its very confusing. ok

my austar is connected to- my stereo surround sound via video 1 (sony)

- my tv via av 2 l(g lcd hd tv)

my dvd/harddrive recorder is an lg

now do i leave the stereo plugs in and the tv plugs in and use teh 2nd set austar av plugs, the back of my dvd player has green red and blue plug holes as well as the standard plugs. im sorry for tooo many questions but i have no idea, i asked teh installer guy and he didnt go into detail. :huh::huh::huh:

So, on the back of your DVD recorder, you should have some inputs. Now, me not being there, I don't know what they look like. But it's a safe bet that one of them is your standard Yellow\White\Red AV cable. On the back of your Austar box, you should have these too. If there's already a set there, great! Simply unplug them from whatever they're plugged into at the moment (by the sounds of things, this would be your TV), and plug them into the back ofo your DVD recorder. Change your DVD recorder to the appropriate input (Probably via an AV button, although with some they can appear after your last channel, i.e. 2, 7, 9, 10, 28, AV1, etc.)

If your Austar box is connected to the TV via component (five cables, a blue one, green one, red one, white one and another red one), check if your DVD recorder has this. Ditto for S-Video, which is three cables - one that sort of looks like a PS/2 mouse port on a computer. If you can, use Component. It's the best quality. Next, try S-Video. The the Yellow\white\red cables (known as Composite). If none of these are available, you'll have to use RF, which egenerally results in a slightly fuzzy image, and is harder to set up (You have to set the Austar box's RF Channel, then you have to tune the DVD recorder into that channel).

I hope I have been of some help!

now do i leave the stereo plugs in and the tv plugs in and use teh 2nd set austar av plugs, the back of my dvd player has green red and blue plug holes as well as the standard plugs. im sorry for tooo many questions but i have no idea, i asked teh installer guy and he didnt go into detail. :huh::huh::huh:

That's alright. If it were meant to be simple, everything would be easily connected by one cable, and if it weren;t, you'd say "Austar Box, connect yourself to my DVD recorder at once!" and it would obey.

So, you have your green\red\blue plugs. That's good. So you can plug your Austar box into these, provided that you also have a way of putting audio into the recorder, too (The white and red cables, or, if you have a spare S\PDIF socket or optical socket on the back of both Austar box and DVD recorder, use that; unless you like silent films!), and, viola! You can record Austar. (If you haev the MyStar, however, you're up a creek without a paddle: it has copy protection built in to it, which makes everything go all green, fuzzy and dark when you record it)

That's alright. If it were meant to be simple, everything would be easily connected by one cable, and if it weren;t, you'd say "Austar Box, connect yourself to my DVD recorder at once!" and it would obey.

So, you have your green\red\blue plugs. That's good. So you can plug your Austar box into these, provided that you also have a way of putting audio into the recorder, too (The white and red cables, or, if you have a spare S\PDIF socket or optical socket on the back of both Austar box and DVD recorder, use that; unless you like silent films!), and, viola! You can record Austar. (If you haev the MyStar, however, you're up a creek without a paddle: it has copy protection built in to it, which makes everything go all green, fuzzy and dark when you record it)

You fail to mention that only the mystar box has component video out and if connecting to a TV and DVD/VCR using composite video on a regular decoder Austar insists the composite video signal be split using a "Y"cable or double rca plugs.

Yeah they should work fine. Whats intriguing though is the low grade RF modulator used in mystar. On an atlas decoder I could connect a tv to the RF output on a 20 metre coax run and get a pretty good picture. Forget that with mystar. the pic is ***house

hi all just wondering if any one has got an av sender to work with mystar. I have BigW one that worked with my old plan austar but does not work with mystar.

any help would be good thanks in advance!

Hi new here, and techonological know-how extends to point-n-click.

I'm based in Tasmania (Launceston, 7250 to be exact) so I have no alternative to Austar as far as I'm aware.

I've purchased a new home theatre system and want to make sure I've got the best setup I can get going on.

I've got an Austar tech coming over in a weeks time to do his bit, but in the meantime I've got a lot of pieces that don't do too much together.

I've got a 50" Panasonic 80A, a Panasonic HDD/DVD-R player, an old Austar box (from four years ago) and a Yamaha YHT-195 system.

I want to be able to record one channel (either FTA or Austar) while watching another, with sound coming through the YHT. I realise I can only have one Austar channel at a time at present, though we are getting a new box I think - so that should sort out that issue (even if I have to watch in the bedroom while recording the other).

What cords/cables do I need, and where should they go? At the moment I've got ones from DVD to YHT, and TV to YHT, and from DVD to TV. When the austar gets added, where does it go?

Also, one of the things I was looking forward to was the Fox Sports HD broadcasts - though I was almost laughed at when I suggested it to the Austar tech....I take it that's not going to happen in the near future?