Do You Have A Question About Austar?

I'll attempt to tackle these one at a time.

Hi new here, and techonological know-how extends to point-n-click.

That's alright!

I'm based in Tasmania (Launceston, 7250 to be exact) so I have no alternative to Austar as far as I'm aware.

As far as I know, yes.

I've purchased a new home theatre system and want to make sure I've got the best setup I can get going on.

I've got an Austar tech coming over in a weeks time to do his bit, but in the meantime I've got a lot of pieces that don't do too much together.

From this, I assume that you either do not have an active Austar connection. If not, let me know.

I've got a 50" Panasonic 80A, a Panasonic HDD/DVD-R player, an old Austar box (from four years ago) and a Yamaha YHT-195 system.

I want to be able to record one channel (either FTA or Austar) while watching another, with sound coming through the YHT. I realise I can only have one Austar channel at a time at present, though we are getting a new box I think - so that should sort out that issue (even if I have to watch in the bedroom while recording the other).

What cords/cables do I need, and where should they go? At the moment I've got ones from DVD to YHT, and TV to YHT, and from DVD to TV. When the austar gets added, where does it go?

Right. So what you can do is plug your Austar box's yellow\white\red leads, S-video (one cable that looks a bit like a PS/2 mouse cable and the two red\white audio cables, unless optical or coax is available and you can use that, but save it for later if you can!) component (five leads, blue, green, red, white and red again, I think), preference going to Component first, then S-Video, into the DVD recorder. Then you plug whatever else you can into your YHT thing onto it's own input. You may need to buy a digital set to box: I think K-Mart have SD ones on special for $30 or $40 if you desparetly need one, otherwise go hit your Dick Smith or nearest electrical or home theatre store (judging by what you said, you have a HD TV, so you'll want a HD box, which will set you back about $150ish). So, you can record your FTA show on your DVD recorder, and watch Austar via the amp, and vice-versa.

Also, one of the things I was looking forward to was the Fox Sports HD broadcasts - though I was almost laughed at when I suggested it to the Austar tech....I take it that's not going to happen in the near future?

Apparently the MyStar HD box will be out next year. Now we factor in the fact that Austar live in a different timezone to the rest of the known universe, so that means about 2011, maybe, unless they get their act together.

I apologize if I have confused you or not answered your question well, but my setup at home is Mystar into VHS recorder, VHS recorder into TV via RF and composite (the yellow\red\white ones) :winky:

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mystar will pretty much do everything you want. It has twin FTA digital tuners, and twin sat tuners, what this means is you can record a fta channel at the same time as recording an austar channel and at the same time watch either another fta channel or austar channel or any of the channels you are recording. It also has component video and optical audio out. I am not familiar with your yammy HT, does it do video upscaling? I take the component out from the mystar and the optical audio out and input them into my yammy rx2700, upscale the video and send it to my HD plasma via HDMI. It actually looks ok on most channels, not as good as real HD of course but still its ok. The SD fta tuner in the mystar is quite good, on par with most SD fta stbs.

i have always had austar on my old tv but now that i have a new one set up i want to put the old tv in my room, priblem is the land lord wont let me run an austar cable in there (not fair) so i have been talking to some friends about it and they have told me that i can get a wireless (thingy) connect it to the austar box and my tv in the other room it comes with a remote and i can lie in bed and watch austar as well as changing channels can anyone tell me if i can actually do this and if i can where do i go to get one.... i live in alice springs so i think my chances are better of getting one from the internet (ebay)

oh yeah i forgot to mention there is about 20 meters between the 2 tv's and 2 walls

Edited by thesoul2008

What you want is -DIGITECH TRANSMITTER & RECEIVER, ALSO HAS BUILT IN REMOTE, WILL TRANSMIT TO ANY ROOM AND GARDEN, ---From-ELECTUS DISTRIBUTION SILVERWATER NSW, PHONE 1300 738 555, I HAVE ONE AND IT WORKS GREAT, GOOD LUCK,,,,,,,,,

AUSTAR IN APARTMENT BUILDING QUESTION:

I have recently moved apartments and my new building is not wired for Austar nor does it have a satellite on top of the building. I have the set top box (IRDFTO Technology Model No. ABS-8776) with smart card and a subscription. My question is

a) Can I receive Austar via the Master Antenna somehow or

B) Am I able to buy a satellite dish and put it on my balcony and connect it up with relative ease and affordability?

The building manager will not budge when asked to let Austar wire the building so I am really stuck.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need to watch NRL!!!

AUSTAR IN APARTMENT BUILDING QUESTION:

I have recently moved apartments and my new building is not wired for Austar nor does it have a satellite on top of the building. I have the set top box (IRDFTO Technology Model No. ABS-8776) with smart card and a subscription. My question is

a) Can I receive Austar via the Master Antenna somehow or

B) Am I able to buy a satellite dish and put it on my balcony and connect it up with relative ease and affordability?

The building manager will not budge when asked to let Austar wire the building so I am really stuck.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need to watch NRL!!!

Well, if the building manager won't let you wire the building for Austar, there's no way you can do it, not without angering hin/her. Sorry!

Are the dropouts and glitches in picture still happening on your mystar, Jason_dinAlt?

Actually I havent seen a single glitch or pixelation since the firmware upgrade. I have only had to reset the box a couple of times since the upgrade, for some reason only known to the mystar it determined that I had no recordings even thought the hard disk is now 80% full. reset fixed it. the other resets were because it wouldnt come out of record and wouldnt change channels, that recording "failed" and once it locked up when my son tried to "rewind live tv"

It is definately now a lot more stable than when I first got it and thankfully they stopped whatever they were doing to kill pirate cards that was causing the pixelation and glitching

Hi just wanting to know if you can help me out with an issue I am having....I have 4 Austar boxes, 2 of the boxes are on 42" rear pro TV's and everything is great but the other 2 have issues...1 is on a 42" LCD TV and is set up like this....Austar RCA out (Red, White and yellow) into a Samsung DVD Recorder that up scales it to 1080i and I have a HDMI cable going to the LCD TV and the same set up for the other box only it is on a 50" Plasma.....the issue is that the screen areas to flash (it looks like someone took a photo with the flash on while they where filming) I have changed cables etc and it's not the TV but when I put a Flinders Austar box on the LCD or Plasma it has fixed the flashing, but when I called the tech people I was told that it is how I have set it up, so can you please tell me if this is something that you have heard of and/or is there any way that I can stop the flashing on my other TV (because Austar won't swap over the other box for a Flinders).

Any help would be great.

Thanks

How do I find out what model no. my Austar Titan Box is? there is absolutely nothing on the outside of the box. And when I rang Austar they could only tell me the serial no.

I have programmed my new Logitech Harmony remote, and this is the only device that has stumped me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

That's Interesting. I've no idea how often they update them. But, first, make sure that your antenna is plugged into the Mystar (silly thing, I know, but it happened to my sister), and that you're not getting a hideously strong signal. The MyStar doesn't like a really strong signal. If you get another set top box, look at the strength and whatnot. Generally, you'd want something oin the 70-85 range, I believe.

• 2 weeks later...
I pressed the yellow button for about an hour yesterday in the hope of getting a massage. No luck I'm afraid. :D

Press Setup, choose Closed Captions, and choose the appropriate option. Not all shows are captioned, and some are done poorly: a good example is 3rd Rock from The Sun on Fox Classics, where the captions are all in caps, and are either in the bottom of the screen in the middle or at the top in the middle.