Possible Hd-a1 Power Buy

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good price but I am in Perth ,can you remeber the name of the rakcs manufacturer , so I can find a local outlet.

Gordon

Sorry i can't but PM Samhain as he manages the Bundoora Store here and will be only too happy to help you out. :blink:

Hey daz,

On my display I cant see any diff between 720p or 1080i, so have chosen to leave it on 720p for now. This is running the 2.0 FW upgrade.

From past experiance with my HTPC I have found that 1080i looks alot softer than 720p when playing 1080i WMV files so chances are I'll be using 720p to match the native res of my PJ - I've upgraded to v2.0 of the FW.

EDIT: my HD-DVD copy of "FF: Tokyo Drift" just arrived and i'll be testing it out tonight when I get home. :blink:

Btw, It's a Combo DVD/HD-DVD (Double sided, dual layers per Side) which will be perfect for back to back testing.

EDIT: my HD-DVD copy of "FF: Tokyo Drift" just arrived and i'll be testing it out tonight when I get home. :blink:

Cool! I'd certainly be interested to hear what you think of it. As I mentioned the online reviews I've seen so far have been highly complimentary at least of the audiovisual quality of the disc. Not so sure about the underlying movie. But who cares about that. With HD-DVD it's all about pretty pictures and sound isn't it?! hehehe :D

Cool! I'd certainly be interested to hear what you think of it. As I mentioned the online reviews I've seen so far have been highly complimentary at least of the audiovisual quality of the disc. Not so sure about the underlying movie. But who cares about that. With HD-DVD it's all about pretty pictures and sound isn't it?! hehehe :blink:

Lol, I saw the movie at the flics and being a rev head, I absolutely loved it. :D

While Im tempted to buy it because of the rave reviews, Ive never liked the FATF movies so this wouldnt tie in with my "selective purchasing" attitude Ive developed!!! Gotta be careful, the BR guys may be watching and call me "shallow'!!!

Yeah you don't want to high jinx this thread....or is that hi jack. That guy is unbelievable :blink:

Hey Guys,

Did any of you purchase your HD-a1 or Xa1 from Value Electronics? Just wondering as I am thinking of doing so if they allow international buyers.

All reports suggest they are very reputable and trustworthy. Had we gotten a great deal from them with a power buy, i wouldve bought from them with no hesitation.

All reports suggest they are very reputable and trustworthy. Had we gotten a great deal from them with a power buy, i wouldve bought from them with no hesitation.

They have a reasonable deal going at the moment for the HD-XA1, I was too slow to get one of the two on offer on ebay for $499 + $70 delivery.

They have a reasonable deal going at the moment for the HD-XA1, I was too slow to get one of the two on offer on ebay for $499 + $70 delivery.

Damn that's a good deal, I would have grabbed the XA1 (it's prettier :D ) if I could have had it for that price! :blink:

rob from VE doesnt do direct deals to australia. you'll have to use an intermediary .

For those that haven't got a player yet I'd hold off for a few weeks for the HD-a2. After all you've waited this long...

Well then I guess I will hold off if that is the case, thanks for letting me know.

Well lads, Samhain came over tonight and we gave my HD-A1 it's first HD-DVD viewing - I have got to say that the depth of image, clarity, colour and amazing depth & detailed sound were truly outstanding. I set my HD-DVD player to 720p as I couldn't see any difference between my HS50 scaling and the A1 - I have the sound being output as multi-channel PCM (via HDMI).

Btw, as a HD-DVD Movie demo, the Fast & the Furious: Tokyo Drift is stunning with a Killer Sound track - the SD-DVD version doesn't even come close despite being a very good transfer. :blink:

Yeah it has a smaller form factor so hopefully less shipping weight to OZ. A better laid out remote too although I hear you lose 5.1 analogue audio. Here's a pic of it. You've got to love the spin those Idiot Toys folk put on things! :blink:

http://www.idiottoys.com/2006/09/toshiba-h...dvd-player.html

Apart from the last line of their babble I wouldve thought HighJinx wrote that article!

Btw, as a HD-DVD Movie demo, the Fast & the Furious: Tokyo Drift is stunning with a Killer Sound track - the SD-DVD version doesn't even come close despite being a very good transfer. :blink:

Awesome. Well you've sold me djos. I'll definitely be adding Tokyo Drift to the "to buy" list for whenever I get around to committing to a player.

Well lads, Samhain came over tonight and we gave my HD-A1 it's first HD-DVD viewing - I have got to say that the depth of image, clarity, colour and amazing depth & detailed sound were truly outstanding. I set my HD-DVD player to 720p as I couldn't see any difference between my HS50 scaling and the A1 - I have the sound being output as multi-channel PCM (via HDMI).
djos, can I ask if it plays "normal" dvds and what are they like PQ and SQ wise?