Hitachi 42PD8800TA

Guest clay_tone

I was in the process of buying the 8800 from a retailer in Adelaide. A deal was being negotiated, the sticker price was a very competetive $2960. With the $500 extended warranty, I made a real offer of $3300 - the deal WAS NOT accepted by the salesman. Therefore I walked, knowing it is only a matter of time.......

FWIW, I am based in Adelaide. The retailer is not my preferred store, but for that price I thought to give it a go. Funnily enough, my offer was for CASH upfront, and yet they wouldn't budge from the sticker price, which could be met with Interest Free Terms.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! $2850! where did u get that from? I am pretty sure that is the new record price on this forum.

Bing Lee. Was a cash price. They have a stocktake clearance sale on at the moment for $3,149 I think it is.

I'm happy anyway :blink:

Got quoted $400 for the extra 4 year warranty. Not sure if I'm going to buy that or not, but think I will.

Bing Lee. Was a cash price. They have a stocktake clearance sale on at the moment for $3,149 I think it is.

I'm happy anyway :blink:

Got quoted $400 for the extra 4 year warranty. Not sure if I'm going to buy that or not, but think I will.

Hey Im about to finally purchase ma 8800 babe :D I need to know where abouts in Melbourne I could absolutely retain the cheapest prices on one of those babies ??? anyone?

I am also interested in buying an 8800 (Victoria), Clive Peters website had it on special at $3300, but now at $3600. Audiolifestyle have it on special at $3349, I phoned them, they seem eager to sell (Richmond).

Recent posted prices are

Jbhifi (Vic) $3350 inc 5yr wty (don't know which branch)

Sydney prices, mainly Bing Lee, about $3000

I've googled a lot for no result.

The 9700 looks like being released in Australia soon.

Please post prices you find, I'm in country Vic and have a dealer who said he will price match Melbourne.

Rgards Bill.

Bought a 8800TA last week from a chain that shall remain unnamed for $3200, had to wait for them to get one in stock. Have been told they cant get any but Hitachi is releasing the 42PD8900TA to sellers as we speak, which they kindly offered as a replacement for the same price.

So hopefully next week I should have a brand spanking new 8900TA sitting in my living room. Main difference is resolution is 1024x1080 rather than 1024x1024 so it can do genuine 1080i without downscaling a bit.

Cant wait to get it =D

Bought a 8800TA last week from a chain that shall remain unnamed for $3200, had to wait for them to get one in stock. Have been told they cant get any but Hitachi is releasing the 42PD8900TA to sellers as we speak, which they kindly offered as a replacement for the same price.

So hopefully next week I should have a brand spanking new 8900TA sitting in my living room. Main difference is resolution is 1024x1080 rather than 1024x1024 so it can do genuine 1080i without downscaling a bit.

Cant wait to get it =D

thats very nice to hear! congratulations on the new panels. just to clarify my situation, I have just paid a deposit for the 8800's yestaday and its due to arrive on wednesday. The cash price was $3100, was very delighted of course!

Main difference is resolution is 1024x1080 rather than 1024x1024 so it can do genuine 1080i without downscaling a bit.

Does the 8800 scale or merely crop the vertical resolution ie crop 28 lines top and bottom?

Philip

Hi Amaru

Sounds like good service - which retailer/store? Can you ask them if they can also supply your 'friends' the new 8900TA at your same price? Maybe you can organise a bulk buy for those interested! Worth ashot if you can ask!

All TV’s need to overscan, so a panel that is 1080 vertical must upscale 1080i video to a higher res, and then crop to 1080.

The older 1024 panel could just crop, without any need to scale.

That does not mean the old model is better then the new one, as good scaling can prevent any noticeable issues.

All TV’s need to overscan, so a panel that is 1080 vertical must upscale 1080i video to a higher res, and then crop to 1080.

That does not mean the old model is better then the new one, as good scaling can prevent any noticeable issues.

yeah have been told somethign similar that the improvement is a slight increment with the new 1080 line panel over the 1024 one but "nothign to rave on about" apparently.

deleted

BRD, I think they realised the error of their ways but I have a receipt saying Hitachi 42PD8900TAKIT for $3200 so theres not much they can do about it now :blink:

Im not too sure about the whole resolution thing, but having bought a 7800TA last year and falling in love with it, as long as this one looks as good ill be happy.

BRD, I think they realised the error of their ways but I have a receipt saying Hitachi 42PD8900TAKIT for $3200 so theres not much they can do about it now :blink:

Im not too sure about the whole resolution thing, but having bought a 7800TA last year and falling in love with it, as long as this one looks as good ill be happy.

Has anyone heard how much the new Hitachi 8900 will be ? I am looking to buy the 8800 at the runout price of around $3000 but wondering how much more the new model will be.

Has anyone heard how much the new Hitachi 8900 will be ? I am looking to buy the 8800 at the runout price of around $3000 but wondering how much more the new model will be.

the 8900 has the same rrp as the 8800 $4,399 accordign to the hitachi site.

http://aus.hitachi.com.au/hitachi/content/...ndex.asp?ID=122

However the hitachi 8800 is runing out at some very low prices !

Do you think the 8900 is worth getting over the Panasonic 42" pv60a, for the higher resolution?

Without a second thought I'd get the 8800 now over the pana 42". But thats just my opinion. check out and compare the two for yourself.

Hi - I am new to this forum. I have just purchased a 428800ta, what a lovely screen. I came straight to this thread because it sounds like most of you have a 8800ta and actually knw something about these. I have three questions if any of you know the answers...

(1) the manual says that you can program a set top box (STB) into the remote control. However it only lists codes for four makes. None of these are mine (I have a NEC). So is it possible to find and program a code for this into my 8800 remote, or am I stuck with multiple remotes?

(2) Can someone who has successfully avoided image retention/screen burn in their 8800ta suggest appropriate settings and timing so that I can avoid this?

(3) I am currently using a HDMI cable to link the screen to the STB. Everyone says that the HDMI cable is the way to go, however if you use HDMI input then multi picture mode is not available. Any comments?

Hi - I am new to this forum. I have just purchased a 428800ta, what a lovely screen. I came straight to this thread because it sounds like most of you have a 8800ta and actually knw something about these. I have three questions if any of you know the answers...

(1) the manual says that you can program a set top box (STB) into the remote control. However it only lists codes for four makes. None of these are mine (I have a NEC). So is it possible to find and program a code for this into my 8800 remote, or am I stuck with multiple remotes?

(2) Can someone who has successfully avoided image retention/screen burn in their 8800ta suggest appropriate settings and timing so that I can avoid this?

(3) I am currently using a HDMI cable to link the screen to the STB. Everyone says that the HDMI cable is the way to go, however if you use HDMI input then multi picture mode is not available. Any comments?

1. I bought a Pana STB so I could use the Hitachi remote but it still didn't work. I ended up with the Harmony 520 and am very happy (it also contols 2 other amps, DVD player STB and PVR).

2. Very few long term image retention issues with Hitachi. Use all the in built "protection" settings and use the Cinema mode which is the closest to normal anyway. I changed my dynamic settings on each input just as a precaution.

3. It is annoying not being able to spilt screen using the HDMI but I have dual inputs from my STB and DVD player. So if I want to dual channel I can use the component inputs. It does negate the point of having only one cable. I now have 6 cables from these devices!

Philip

1. I bought a Pana STB so I could use the Hitachi remote but it still didn't work. I ended up with the Harmony 520 and am very happy (it also contols 2 other amps, DVD player STB and PVR).

2. Very few long term image retention issues with Hitachi. Use all the in built "protection" settings and use the Cinema mode which is the closest to normal anyway. I changed my dynamic settings on each input just as a precaution.

3. It is annoying not being able to spilt screen using the HDMI but I have dual inputs from my STB and DVD player. So if I want to dual channel I can use the component inputs. It does negate the point of having only one cable. I now have 6 cables from these devices!

Philip

THanks Philip - this is extremely helpful to the technophobe. My family loves the TV though. CHeers

Philip

I've had an hitachi alis panel for two years and going onto a newer one. Never quite got the multi brand remote to work anything but the tv itself. Will try again with the new model screen when get it to try work the dvd and stb.

The hitachi I never had any log term image retention issues. certainly not liek the pioneer and pana's where you had people posting all over the place about logos burnt on etc after the tennis and cricket we had over the last summer. I think its the alternate lighting system of alis that particularly makes it not so susceptible to image retention as other type plasmas.

All that said I think hte first 100 hours while the phosphors are young and settling in, like any other plasma its particualrly susceptible. Best not to leave it for long times with stic images and watch hours on ours of 4:3 material. Vary your watching as you would with 1/2 hr of this and hour or two of that with ad breaks in between and you'll find it jsut fine !

is the digital nature of hdmi or even dvi that dont let you do a lot of things with the signal. To be honest my old hitachi had the split screen feature and in the two years of owning not once did I use frrl the need to use the split screen with my analog input devices (dvd, xbox360, input from avr & sub). You can get component cables from the lieks of jaycar and htcustom cables with their kordz that have all three component cables in the one sheath, reducign the overall cable count !

that said understand the frustration, but yeah wont be long I'd imagine before your so rapt up in the beaut pics etc you'll totally forget its nto soemthgin you can do ! :blink:

I experimented with both DVI>HDMI and component between STB and plasma, and finally settled on component (using Monster MV3CV cables) as the picture quality was just as good as DVI>HDMI and it leaves the second HDMI input free for planned expansion with an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player (whenever I can afford that :blink: ).

I use a third party universal remote which controls all my devices - 7 of them so far. (In case you're interested, its an E-Pilot SRC-9200 and I've even recorded IR keyboard scan codes into it to control my HTPC). I gave up on the Hitachi remote.

I've never had burn-in issues, but in the first few hundred hours, I used the 'screen wipe' function for an hour each night.

It is a great picture, and I'm happier than ever having had it professionally calibrated. You bought the right one! :D

Hi'

does anyone know the dimensions of the box the 8800 is packed in? If so would you please post, I may be able to place it upright on the rear seat to get it home, depending on dimensions.

Regards Bill