Collecting early production CD's - my perspective and some photos.

On 11/01/2021 at 2:06 PM, Darryl said:

Hi Ralph.

No just the common ones. I can't even remember the specific discs so nothing of note (I hope!).

I probably still have some Japan/WG for Australia discs. I'll have a look through some time soon.

I'd love to get my hands on some Cold Chisel. Nobody answered my question about them a while back, so I did some research. They sound like they might be up my alley.

Speaking of which, I discovered that several of their albums were reissued in the late 1980's on the Line label in Germany. Has anybody seen those?

I was just digging into some CD boxes and I found my stash of AC/DC CD's on Albert, manufactured in Japan. Behold!

scan0002 (2).jpg

scan0009.jpg

hivoltbc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/01/2021 at 2:48 PM, hired goon said:

I'll keep trying when I can, but it's much harder to find rare CDs in Australia than in the USA. I lived in Salt Lake City for a couple of years and would find targets and japan CDs quite regularly, but over here ... not so much.

--Geoff 

So much for the idea of moving to Australia to find some old AC/DC and Cold Chisel CD's!

The Dirty Deeds CD still has a $7.99 price sticker on it, from Music Trader, a long-gone used CD chain in San Diego. Those were the days!

scan0003.jpg

scan0010.jpg

scan0015.jpg

flickfc.jpg

scan0011.jpg

flickbc.jpg

scan0008.jpg

scan0012.jpg

scan0013.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, targetcd.com said:

So much for the idea of moving to Australia to find some old AC/DC and Cold Chisel CD's!

I've found quite a few made-in-Japan Cold Chisel CDs but have never seen a made-in-Japan AC/DC CD in the wild, either in Australia or the USA. 

--Geoff

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
On 21/01/2021 at 10:31 AM, targetcd.com said:

It's still pretty quiet here. What does it take to wake you people up?

How about this bad boy from BJH?

bjh_berlin_fc.jpg

bjh_berlin_800OR.jpg

bjh_berlin_bc.jpg

Sorry Ralph,

I haven't looked at this thread for years. It is really good to hear that your health is on the improve!

CD collecting round here is glacial. I sometimes find a classical cd in the bins, but little else. There used to be lots of s/h cd shops here, and I used to go hunting every week. Now I look maybe once a month. Buying from overseas is also difficult with the recent addition of GST and insane shipping charges. 

I will have a look and see if I have any  spare Japan or WG for oz cds.

Cheers

David

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David, thanks for the good thoughts. I was wondering if you were still around this forum. How have you been?

I hope you find some old Aussie CD's for me!

I have been rummaging around in my collection. Here are some interesting old discs I ran across:

charlie_wg_fc.jpg

charlie_wg_redface.jpg

charlie_wg_bc.jpg

chinac_working_fc.jpg

chinac_working_blue.jpg

chinac_working_wgbc.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 09/03/2021 at 11:26 AM, targetcd.com said:

Hi David, thanks for the good thoughts. I was wondering if you were still around this forum. How have you been?

I hope you find some old Aussie CD's for me!

I have been rummaging around in my collection. Here are some interesting old discs I ran across:

charlie_wg_fc.jpg

charlie_wg_redface.jpg

charlie_wg_bc.jpg

chinac_working_fc.jpg

chinac_working_blue.jpg

chinac_working_wgbc.jpg

Hi Ralph,

Sorry again for the late reply.

I am fine, have been spending most of my time building a pair of speakers - see here

I had a quick look for JP for Oz cds, but didn't find any. I will keep looking.

Cheers

David

Like David, I have been collecting early and first pressing CDs for a while now but recently supply has seen a reduction in recent years? 

Also my current focus is also on Loudspeaker design and have started working on a concept as a replacement for my own big loudspeaker which was built in the early 00s and looked a bit like a Wilson X1 Grand Slamm but under the surface bore no resemblance!!

The new design is more conventional and an interim towards by own magnum opus which will be built in the late 20s

Simon

• 2 months later...

culling a lot of CDs I don't listen to and came across a couple of collectables,  any of you collectors would like them . Linda ronsdstat greatest hits purple target w German,, inxs the swing  purple target w German as well.

the inxs is pink with green targets

Edited by Tony ray
  • Like 2

also found syd barret the madcap laughs and barret , both seem to be UK releases from 1987 made by Toshiba .cdp 7 46607 2

cop 7 46606 2

and Dave gilmour self titled and about face. both seem to be early disctronic releases.

465037 2

465038 2

any good to you collectors?

• 3 months later...

I think the blue is 1 st run, much like the red ones,of other titles

i know the visitor ,the red one that is worth lots of $ is the same mix as the early wg,that is much more common and cheaper,

people who have both say they are sonically the same in every way ,

being a digital recording they didn’t stuff with it,

if I see early CD pressings I pick them up,

french or wg,they surly going up in price specially with the new album coming out 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Some more early pressings for the collection

Bodyswerve - probably the very first japan pressing - original smooth case with "patent pending" + matrix is "DIDZ-10152 11" as opposed to more common DIDZ-10152 11A1 +++++

ONEIL_3.jpg

CARP_3.jpg

DRAGON2_3.jpg

DRAGON1_3.jpg

OLDFIELD_3.jpg

JUDAS_3.jpg

ACDC-dirty_3.jpg

barnes_3.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...