Panasonic TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Hello forum - first post after lurking some time...

Interesting journey buying the 50px70a - most shops can barely get the attention of the staff let alone get them to negotiate.

Probably walked out of >50% of stores after not being able to be served! Finally made the deal this morning,

subsequently confirmed with Good guys that they could do no better. Myer salesman stated it was a 'new record' ;)

Basically used the DSE package price ($2335) and said didn't want the HT package, so total delivered price was < $2100,

will be delivered tomorrow morning so all up a good arrangement. Looks like I need a new entertainment unit as the TV

is wider than the gap between the 'towers' of the unit I have, then its on to running in the panel... Very happy with the

'bang for buck' in this deal :D

Cheers,

Lotus7

Interesting journey buying the 50px70a - most shops can barely get the attention of the staff let alone get them to negotiate.

Probably walked out of >50% of stores after not being able to be served! Finally made the deal this morning,

subsequently confirmed with Good guys that they could do no better. Myer salesman stated it was a 'new record' ;)

Basically used the DSE package price ($2335) and said didn't want the HT package, so total delivered price was < $2100,

will be delivered tomorrow morning so all up a good arrangement. Looks like I need a new entertainment unit as the TV

is wider than the gap between the 'towers' of the unit I have, then its on to running in the panel... Very happy with the

Cheers,

Lotus7

Hi Lotus7

Well done - great deal. Could you please send a copy of the receipt to bertzz99 at hotmail dot com?

Cheers,

Lotus7

First time post. Great forum, found it a couple of days ago. Watching the px70a price tumble is great!

Hey Lotus, please email me copy of receipt to rmathisen at yahoo dot com

cheers

rmathisen

lotus7

would you mind sending me a copy of the myer reciept too...

i'd love to get it on their 12 month interest free using the myer card (in perth)

quananhchau at unitedcredit dot com doe au

please, pretty please, want to go see them tommorow if possible

:-)

Speaking of China, I note that the latest 42" HD (PX70?) is now made in China rather than Japan, as the early ones (and the PX60 predecessor) were. Explains why it's dropped $500+ since release (a 42" PX70 is available at JB for $1500 - $50 less than I paid for my SD PX60).

FYI, the 42 px70a I bought was made in Singapore

Forgive me if this is in the wrong section, but I am looking at getting a Panasonic plasma.

I was looking at the 42PZ700A as it has the Full-HD, but it seems that are lot of you are opting for the version down from that. I was wondering if it is "worth" it to pay the extra money for the 1080p or will the 42PX70A (or even the 50" now with the price drop) be fine? What are the reasons for going for the TV without the 1080p? Sorry I have no clue when it comes to these things :)

Thanks!

Hi Krissy,

I have been changing my mind constantly over the last week or so for these two panels. One minute I had the 50PX70A on order and then the 42PZ700A. I wasnt too concerned with the 1080p to start with and the thought of having a 50" tv was really appealing.

But then I got to thinking about the size of the room, I will be sitting 3.20metres from the screen so I was unsure if 50" would be too big or not. It would have been great for movies and sport but I wasnt sure for general viewing.

I was quoted $2700 at HN Warrawong for both the panels.

I have decided (hopefully not to change my mind again) to go for the 42PZ7000A 1080p panel, I am also getting the Panasonic DMR-EX77 160GB DVD recorder so will be using the Viera link via HDMI to upscale the image.

I suppose what I am saying is that the room size, type of viewing you will be watching are major factors to consider. Not price alone. It is going to be cheaper for me in the long run to buy a Playstation 3 or Blue Ray than to upgrade the SD panel to an HD version.

The other thing is that you have to 'jump in' at some stage as the prices are constantly going down. I have waited for 5 months to get the tv and $2700 for a 42" FULL HD Panel seems a good buy to me.

Hope that helps

Carl

Hey Carl, just a heads up some people have managed to get the 42PZ700A for well under $2499, if you search around on this forum you will find it a bit lower:

http://hdtvprices.pbwiki.com/FrontPage

Hi Azazel, what price are you referring to? I only see the best price being $2499 for that model in the wiki. Sorry if I've missed it.

In regards to an earlier post I too am stuck between paying an extra $1000 for the 42PZ700A over the TH-42PX70A. I was going to start another thread but I'm sure it's been discussed before. Can anyone link a thread or offer some further advise on any real difference and if it's worth paying the difference?

$2499 is the lowest price people have entered in the wiki, but if you search here on this forum you will find people who have payed less than that.

I'll have a quick poke around...

That's ok, I'll also look around a bit more. There are so many threads to go through! Thanks.

Hey guys.

First time posting, but long while reading.

Thinking about taking the plunge tomorrow and getting a bigger TV. Currently a ol' CRT 51cm.. (Hoorah).

I'll mostly be be watching DVD's, and DIVX movies from the media box. However, I am planing on getting a PS3 for gaming and the occasional BD movie.

I was looking around the 2000 - 2500 mark. So im pretty interested in either the PX42 or PX50. My viewing distance is about 2.4m - 2.8m. Would the 50 be too big for this distance? The other option I was looking at was a Sony W3100 - but its looking like it will cost 3k+ with warranty.

For people who own it, what is the PQ\Motion of the PX50 like for DVDs, BluRay, PS3?

Thanks! :)

Hey guys.

First time posting, but long while reading.

Thinking about taking the plunge tomorrow and getting a bigger TV. Currently a ol' CRT 51cm.. (Hoorah).

I'll mostly be be watching DVD's, and DIVX movies from the media box. However, I am planing on getting a PS3 for gaming and the occasional BD movie.

I was looking around the 2000 - 2500 mark. So im pretty interested in either the PX42 or PX50. My viewing distance is about 2.4m - 2.8m. Would the 50 be too big for this distance? The other option I was looking at was a Sony W3100 - but its looking like it will cost 3k+ with warranty.

For people who own it, what is the PQ\Motion of the PX50 like for DVDs, BluRay, PS3?

Thanks! :)

Hi there,

I have just gone through the same dilema myself. I was all set for the PX50, I sit 3.4m away from the set and finally decided this would be too big for me. It would be great for movies and sport but for me I think it would've been too much for general viewing. At 2.8m I would think it would be way too much, others may disagree.

I ended up getting the 42PZ000A (1080p panel).

I am happy with my decision and get it next week, if you are going for a PS3 then mayube this would be the best option. You might have to stretch the budget to $2700 though.

Carl

Hi there,

I have just gone through the same dilema myself. I was all set for the PX50, I sit 3.4m away from the set and finally decided this would be too big for me. It would be great for movies and sport but for me I think it would've been too much for general viewing. At 2.8m I would think it would be way too much, others may disagree.

I am happy with my decision and get it next week, if you are going for a PS3 then mayube this would be the best option. You might have to stretch the budget to $2700 though.

Carl

Hmmm...

Not you've got me re-considering! Damm you! :P

I guess I don't do alot of 'general viewing'. Don't watch alot of FTA TV, at most a couple hours a week. I download most of the series I want to watch.

As the for the PS3, aren't most games in 720p, not 1080p?

The PX42 may even be an option, seems to be going pretty cheap.

Hmmm...

Not you've got me re-considering! Damm you! :P

I guess I don't do alot of 'general viewing'. Don't watch alot of FTA TV, at most a couple hours a week. I download most of the series I want to watch.

As the for the PS3, aren't most games in 720p, not 1080p?

The PX42 may even be an option, seems to be going pretty cheap.

Go the 50, you'll wanna kick the crap out of yourself if you don't ! !

You're sitting far away enough, easily !

Well, I just went and had a look at my mates new set up.

His got the Sammy P9 50'. About the same viewing distance and yeah I think its fine. So I guess the only thing is the usual 768p (1080i) vs 1080p.

To go a 50' 768p (PX50') or 42' 1080p (PZ42) or even the 40' Sony W3100. Im leaning towards the 50' seeing as 85% of the time the source wont be 1080p and 50' is a nice big TV..

Wise words, no matter what size screen you buy you will wish you had a larger one after a while.

I have gone from a 43” to a 57” to a 70” all viewed from 2.8-3.0 meters and would go bigger if it where possible. I have had no complaints from anyone that the 70” is too big for normal viewing, even with Foxtel – Austar being the most viewed content.

A 50” at 2.4 to 2.8 meters is a good choice. It will seem huge at first after a little CRT, but you will soon get used to it and wish for more. :D

Hi there,

Carl

If you pay any more than $2200.00 (ex. extra warranty) for a 42PZ700a your getting ripped off, a number of people on here have already bought this tv for this and less, as low as $2086.00 to be exact.

Well, I just went and had a look at my mates new set up.

His got the Sammy P9 50'. About the same viewing distance and yeah I think its fine. So I guess the only thing is the usual 768p (1080i) vs 1080p.

To go a 50' 768p (PX50') or 42' 1080p (PZ42) or even the 40' Sony W3100. Im leaning towards the 50' seeing as 85% of the time the source wont be 1080p and 50' is a nice big TV..

A 768 panel is not 1080i and never will be. 1080i and 1080p are identical resolution so only a 1080 display can display either fully.

At 2.4 meters a 50” is to small for you to see any significant advantage in 1080 and at 2.8 meters forget about 1080. The 42" is WAY to small.

Don’t choose a TV based on resolution, go on picture quality.

Had just about decided to buy the Panasonic PX 50" and home theatre package from Dick Smith online ($2335) but I noticed today that the offer is no longer available to online purchasers, you have to go to a Dick Smith Powerhouse, which I don't have where I live. Looks like the plasma alone is available for $2197, so maybe that's the way I'll go.

Just picked up a Panasonic TH-42PX70A at Good Guys Loganholme for $1600, They had a ticketed price on it of $2000 and something ( Can't remember exact price)

They managed to beat The Electrical Discounters Price of $1695 for me..

Myers in Loganholme had them for $1619.10 today also...

Going to pick it up on tuesday or wednesday with the Airconditioner i purchased at the same time (Also for a good price)

A 768 panel is not 1080i and never will be. 1080i and 1080p are identical resolution so only a 1080 display can display either fully.

At 2.4 meters a 50” is to small for you to see any significant advantage in 1080 and at 2.8 meters forget about 1080. The 42" is WAY to small.

Don’t choose a TV based on resolution, go on picture quality.

Ah right. The whole 1080i thing was from the Panasonic website.

Yeah, your spot on about the 50' being the size to get. I just had another look at my mates and after bout 10 minutes I was already settled in and could easy go for bigger then 50' .. if I had the money.

So I will be def be going for a 50' just need to decide which one. It seems to me the PX50 is good choice? Anyone got any draw backs on this TV? I read some where its not 24p, does this really matter?

Or does have any other suggestions of TV's to look at?

If you pay any more than $2200.00 (ex. extra warranty) for a 42PZ700a your getting ripped off, a number of people on here have already bought this tv for this and less, as low as $2086.00 to be exact.

Is this for online purchases or through shops.?

Just a reminder, the topic of this thread is "New PANASONIC plasmas, how much you pay?"

Not "Panasonic plasmas, ask all questions here"

I'm taking that as a jab at me. Heh. :unsure:

I figured it was a thread on Panasonic TV's, so may as well ask here. After 250+ pages I didn't think it'd still be on topic. :P