Anyone into FM radio

with the advent of digital here ,now may well be a good time to buy fm

a revox fm only unit sold for 102 dollars last week a steal

Indeed it is djb, especially since we will have analogue FM broadcast for the next 20-30 years or so. Now if only those Sansui TU-X1s would fall in price I would be happy. There is always the Accuphase T-1000 to consider if one wants a new unit and you can use your own DAC for "better" sound or alternatively, record straight to the computer HDD for archiving live broadcasts.

I have a Denon TU-255, and love it (mines black, not silver).

sounds great, and it is used a fair bit, usually tuned to FBI here in Sydney, though about 20% of the time i have to turn it off since i am waaaaay to old for some of their music, but the rest of the time..... :party

the rest of the time it is DIG radio streaming from the set top box

Hi, first post here!

FM tuners are my main affliction. I have over 30 at last count. Including some rare ones, by Australian standards. Even have one valve FM stereo tuner.

Have the obligatory giant antenna and rotator. A pile of RF/stereo sig generators etc, to do my own alignments and mods. Great fun!

No interest at all in digital radio (DAB?) at this stage.

Cheers.

Hi, first post here!

FM tuners are my main affliction. I have over 30 at last count. Including some rare ones, by Australian standards. Even have one valve FM stereo tuner.

Have the obligatory giant antenna and rotator. A pile of RF/stereo sig generators etc, to do my own alignments and mods. Great fun!

No interest at all in digital radio (DAB?) at this stage.

Cheers.

Hi,

Love to see some of your toys, any photos to share? :party

Working away from home (in Perth) for the next month or so, so hard to get fresh pics. I will see what I have on the laptop and get the missus to send some over asap.

My current favorite is a Yamaha T2. This beast has seven analog tuning gangs!! and sounds divine.

Others that I would not part with include:

Kenwood kt8005

Rotel rt2100

Aiwa st9700

Pioneer tx9500

Marantz model 125

These are all very good when modified/repaired and aligned. As good as it gets (for mere mortals with a mortgage) I will say.

Other goodies

Kenwood kt-7500, kt-7300, kt-5500 (I like big kenwoods!!!)

Technics st8080

Rotel rt1010 (digital)

Akai at2400, at 2450 (under rated 4 gang), atv04

Yamaha t70

Onkyo t4500 (digital)

There are more that I will add when I remember.

Then there is a pile of others that are waiting in the wings for repair/mods/alignment including some cheaper Sansuis and other Rotels, a Nikko, a Luxman.

"So many tuners so little time" not my idea originally but very apt!!!

Cheers.

Working away from home (in Perth) for the next month or so, so hard to get fresh pics. I will see what I have on the laptop and get the missus to send some over asap.

My current favorite is a Yamaha T2. This beast has seven analog tuning gangs!! and sounds divine.

Others that I would not part with include:

Kenwood kt8005

Rotel rt2100

Aiwa st9700

Pioneer tx9500

Marantz model 125

These are all very good when modified/repaired and aligned. As good as it gets (for mere mortals with a mortgage) I will say.

Other goodies

Kenwood kt-7500, kt-7300, kt-5500 (I like big kenwoods!!!)

Technics st8080

Rotel rt1010 (digital)

Akai at2400, at 2450 (under rated 4 gang), atv04

Yamaha t70

Onkyo t4500 (digital)

There are more that I will add when I remember.

Then there is a pile of others that are waiting in the wings for repair/mods/alignment including some cheaper Sansuis and other Rotels, a Nikko, a Luxman.

"So many tuners so little time" not my idea originally but very apt!!!

Cheers.

WOW, love to see and listen to some or all of these toys of yours.

I have had a few in the past,

Magnum Dynalab MD108,

DSC00653.jpg

REVOX B760 tuner

P1010004.jpg

Tivoli

radio.jpg

QUAD FM3

DSC_7322.jpg

WOW, love to see and listen to some or all of these toys of yours.

I have had a few in the past,

Magnum Dynalab MD108,

DSC00653.jpg

Mhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhwwwuuuu! My dream tuner! Don't like my chances of ever owning one, but we shall see. Maybe after they switch off FM I'll be able to afford one hahaha.

Wow some awesome gear there. :D

Don't have any table radios myself. FM didn't really happen in Aus till the 80s so older stuff is really rare here. I don't do am.

That Rohde and Schwarz ballempfanger and it's relatives are my dream machines though!!! :P

I would love to own a 10b and a tu-x1 or two. Maybe one day! Who knows maybe even a Day Sequerra!! :)

I assume everyone into tuners will have seen this site, it and it's companion forum are my bible.

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/index.html

Cheers.

Edited by phree

My First Post and I have to own up to being an FM tragic as well. I have absolutely no idea at the moment how many I own because I an in the middle of slowly moving to Tasmania.

The Sony ES Tuners tend to be the most used.. especially the STS-700ES and its close relative, ST-S444ESX.. both great Tuners.

A third Audio system has a Hitachi FT 8000 in it.

All the others are in boxes , under the House.. in Sheds and spread between Queensland and Tasmania.. One day.......!!

I have absolutely no plans to go down the Digital path , The comments on http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/index.html are enough to deter me

hi andy,

Me too, every morning when I drive my boys to school, I am always listening to ABC Classic station, Emma Ayres? Very educational.

I love ABC classic but personally i think Emma just talks a little too much for my liking. Not a fan sorry. I have tried but just can't warm to her. Mind you i am a bit like that with every new presenter that comes onto ABC Classic FM but find that i warm to them sooner or later but it is taking me a really long time to warm to Emma & she has been on there for awhile now. I still listen mind you but sometimes i just want to get on the blower and say .. "Emma can you just be quiet for a little while"

I love ABC classic but personally i think Emma just talks a little too much for my liking. Not a fan sorry. I have tried but just can't warm to her. Mind you i am a bit like that with every new presenter that comes onto ABC Classic FM but find that i warm to them sooner or later but it is taking me a really long time to warm to Emma & she has been on there for awhile now. I still listen mind you but sometimes i just want to get on the blower and say .. "Emma can you just be quiet for a little while"

Hi jrisles,

I am usually in the car for an hour, therefore I have not found Emma "unbearable", yet! Actually, I have learned a lot more about classical music through this station.

Actually, I saw Emma on TV last week, I think it was the Young Australian Musician Award.

Quite different in look, not sure which is the real Emma...

09._09_02_Emma_Ayres_150.jpgemma_ayres140x150.jpg

Hi jrisles,

I am usually in the car for an hour, therefore I have not found Emma "unbearable", yet! Actually, I have learned a lot more about classical music through this station.

Actually, I saw Emma on TV last week, I think it was the Young Australian Musician Award.

Quite different in look, not sure which is the real Emma...

09._09_02_Emma_Ayres_150.jpgemma_ayres140x150.jpg

I believe the one on the left is "today's Emma". She introduced a concert at Trinity College earlier in the year. As you might guess from the pic, I believe she bats for the other side. :P

Regards,

Andy

Cheers.

Hi phree,

I bought a T2 about 15 years ago (traded in my T1 AM/FM tuner! :P ) and I agree, it sounds great.

Do you know of any tuners that sound better than a T2 (that you can get in Oz)?

Regards,

Andy