Turntable Purchase Advice

Hi all been inactive for a while now. But I'm considering upgrading from my old NAD C555 deck which is essentially a re badged rp2. I had a budget in mind of $1500 turntable and cartridge. I'm leaning towards a planar 3 with an exact 2 cartridge. I thought I would put it out here and take advantage of the wealth of experience and other opinions. Other considerations have been a Thorens table in the same price range. Also I'll state that I have a NAD PP2 pre amplifier. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated thanks.

I like Rega's and if you are happy with the re badged  rp2  you will probably be happy upgrading to a  planar 3 with an exact 2 cartridge.

Aussie Hi Fi presently have this combination for $1321 

https://www.aussiehifi.com.au/rega-planar-3-turntable?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI96Gl2sK31QIVngoqCh2wtg_cEAYYASABEgLoaPD_BwE

I M O in has a better arm that the Thorens,  of a similar price and will hold it's value much better if you again want to upgrade in the future.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dwbasement said:

And if you are even more luckier, may be a rp6 with a decent cart for 1.5k it is very possible.

Agree on this for sure.

Edited by Wimbo

You find the ortofon carts better than the exact cartridge? 
Only heard the mid range rega cart in a shop, exact should be better than the blue and red but black definitely better than exact.
Again, all depend on personal taste and your setup...etc
Personally i would pick black over exact.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the advice. I'll have a look over at the classified section to see what tables are for sale. Great point about the rp6 perhaps with the new p6 on the way there could be some up for sale in the near future. Cartridges is the one thing I'm not real sure on I've only ever had the stock goldring elektra on my NAD. 

22 minutes ago, Josh83 said:

Does anyone have any experience with how the new P3 stacks up in comparison to the rp6? Is there still a large gap between the two tables? 

The gap is very small, hence why the new Planar 6 has been in development for quite some time. Certainly the RP6 feels more solid, looks better, but sonically there isn't much between them (assuming same cart). I think the P3 with a great cart would be a better spend of the money than the RP6 and a cheaper compromise on the cart (working off the same budget of course). However with the Planar 6 out soon, there might be some RP6 out there that come up for sale, so price is always relative!

And then things would get interesting if you compare a:

2017 Planar 3 vs and older RP6....

The new Planar 6 (with a Neo TT PSU) is outside budget though...they'll be $2000+

@Josh83 I moved from a NAD 556 to a Planar 3....my thoughts are many and varied....but I nodded whenever I read the advice above to go for the better cartridge

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Rega P3 and a 2M Bronze or even a Black and you will be happy for a very long time.

I'm leaning towards this. The P3 is online for $1121. At a stretch I could probably up the budget to get the 2M Bronze which is around $500. I have had my Nad for 10 happy years I'm sure I'd at least have another 10 even happier years with that combo.

Edited by Josh83
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Josh83 said:

I'm leaning towards this. The P3 is online for $1121. At a stretch I could probably up the budget to get the 2M Bronze which is around $500. I have had my Nad for 10 happy years I'm sure I'd at least have another 10 even happier years with that combo.

Agree. We've noticed a bit of a drop in sales of the RP6 since the Planar 3 was released, and again, largely due to the ability to go up a cart or two for a similar price.

22 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Agree. We've noticed a bit of a drop in sales of the RP6 since the Planar 3 was released, and again, largely due to the ability to go up a cart or two for a similar price.

And in years to come you can always upgrade the P3 to 'almost' P6 specs

• 5 weeks later...

If it's not too late, I'd recommend checking out the Nagaoka MP200 also.

Was reading around when finding a new cart to buy myself, I ended up buying an MP110 for my Rega RP1 but I also ready reviews of the higher models.

The MP200 apparently only gets better.