Is KEF LS50 Wireless best active bookshelf speaker yet?

Trying to simplify set up and avoid hassle of speaker vs amp matching hence started looking into active bookshelf speakers... And looked into various models and brands such as Dynaudio, Quad, Klipsch, Fostex, Genelec, JBL etc etc.. And after reading many reviews with hours and hours spent, found that KEF LS50W is the most reviewed and majority of them are very positive except terrible mobile apps that comes with.

Is there any other active speakers that match KEF LS50W in terms of sonic quality and user friendliness in the marketplace at present?

If you know any other brand or model that you experienced that is same caliber as LS50W, please do share. :) 

Thank you in advance.

Found this page, https://www.channelnews.com.au/kef-ls-50-wireless-speakers-are-overpriced-so-what-is-the-alternative/

And alternative recommended are Bluesound Pulse 2 and Denon HEOS 7. However, they look very general consumer oriented bluetooth speakers and does not look promising at all. (never tried either of them though). :) 

Guest thathifiguy

I wouldn't take too much stock into that page, he had an axe to grind with the local distributors and has little significance to the merit of the LS50 wireless. 

Personally, I think they take the already excellent passive design to a whole other level.

If unsure about control, word is DALI will be releasing a pair of active speakers using the excellent BluOS platform, no word yet on release though.

After owning the X300A for a few weeks, which are awesome. I do actually wonder how much better the LS50 actives are. So many great reviews, I'm keen to have a proper listen one day. 

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, thathifiguy said:

I wouldn't take too much stock into that page, he had an axe to grind with the local distributors and has little significance to the merit of the LS50 wireless. 

Personally, I think they take the already excellent passive design to a whole other level.

If unsure about control, word is DALI will be releasing a pair of active speakers using the excellent BluOS platform, no word yet on release though.

Great news. I heard good thing about Dali Menuet but it is passive. keen to learn more about active version :)

Guest thathifiguy
Just now, Spider27 said:

Great news. I heard good thing about Dali Menuet but it is passive. keen to learn more about active version :)

@Marc might know more, he was told about them at Munich back in May.

1 minute ago, Jonny said:

After owning the X300A for a few weeks, which are awesome. I do actually do wonder how much better the LS50 actives are. So many great reviews, I'm keen to have a proper listen one day. 

Great to hear.  Many review states that X300A is great speaker but lacks a bit of punchy and dynamic. I might audition both this weekend to try. :) 

• Like 1

The LS50 Wireless is great bang for the buck. I'd be hard pressed to find a better sounding combo for 1.1k more for the passive version - if I had to spend 1.1k in DACs and preamps.

That said, it is currently let down by its user interface and streaming functionality.

To be fair, it was the same with the initial UI of BluSound's apps. And it took them 5? 6? iterations before they got to where they are today. And even then people still prefer Spotify for ease of use.

For my money - if my budget could stretch a bit more, it'd be the Focal Solo 6 Be actives. XLR inputs. Biamped. Tweeters and woofers similar to the Electra 1007Be. I'd just need a DAC or streamer DAC - maybe a TEAC UD503 or the network streamer variant.

• Like 1

My only concern, and this is an old experience (with the old Q Series), is that if you listen at high volumes, the KEF's aren't great.  I've had to replace tweeters (at no expense to me) because of them being blown.  I wouldn't even call it high volume.  I have also seen pictures of the passive LS50's with the same issue.

The speakers are great, but don't like high SPL.  

Timos.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Timos said:

My only concern, and this is an old experience (with the old Q Series), is that if you listen at high volumes, the KEF's aren't great.  I've had to replace tweeters (at no expense to me) because of them being blown.  I wouldn't even call it high volume.  I have also seen pictures of the passive LS50's with the same issue.

The speakers are great, but don't like high SPL.  

Timos.

Good to know. Can you roughly indicate how much db was it to blow tweeter by any chance?

1 hour ago, DoggieHowser said:

The LS50 Wireless is great bang for the buck. I'd be hard pressed to find a better sounding combo for 1.1k more for the passive version - if I had to spend 1.1k in DACs and preamps.

That said, it is currently let down by its user interface and streaming functionality.

To be fair, it was the same with the initial UI of BluSound's apps. And it took them 5? 6? iterations before they got to where they are today. And even then people still prefer Spotify for ease of use.

For my money - if my budget could stretch a bit more, it'd be the Focal Solo 6 Be actives. XLR inputs. Biamped. Tweeters and woofers similar to the Electra 1007Be. I'd just need a DAC or streamer DAC - maybe a TEAC UD503 or the network streamer variant.

Is this sold in AU? I just searched it online and no AU retailers sell this but USA only if I understood correctly. :unsure:

40 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

I really like the Dyns. Xeo 4 are good, the Focus XD are really good.

Sent from my JAZZ using Tapatalk

Many people recommend Dyn as good alternative. Have you had a chance to compare between Xeo 4 and LS50W?

Never knew about Focus XD and just browse on internet and noticed that Focus XD is 3 times more expensive than XEO series :(

Not sure what the differences between XD and Xeo really are. I guess that Focus XD has much higher output power?  

20 minutes ago, Marc said:

Dali Callisto certainly got my attention!

Here's the information: http://stereo.net.au/news/exclusive-dali-get-activated

It will be launched officially at IFA in Berlin September 1st.

Great. Thank you.

Can you share impression on Callisto 2 comparing with LS50W? Any impression or information would be great. :) 

P.S.) The sound hub looks much better than Dyn XEO's. 

• Administrator

I really can't compare sorry. I lived with LS50W extensively.

Callisto was 3-4 tracks, in a big room with 50+ people. it was enough for me to form an impression of its capability, but not enough to conduct critical listening or a comparison I'm afraid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Littlenicky said:

I have the dyn XEO 6 and phantom gold compare with LS50W. 

The XEO 6, phantom gold are better than the LS50W.

Better in what way? You're comparing a floor standing speaker and a 4500 watt single speaker with the LS50 wireless...

1 hour ago, Littlenicky said:

I have the dyn XEO 6 and phantom gold compare with LS50W. 

The XEO 6, phantom gold are better than the LS50W.

Are these two speakers that you are currently selling? I guess that you also have LS50W... If so, could you share your impression? That would be helpful. :)