Full belt slip, not spinning at all

I got a Thorens TD-145 a few weeks ago, and the belt has been in pretty bad shape. I ordered a new one over a week ago but it hasn't arrived yet, and since a night or two ago, I noticed that music had become quite noticeably slower than usual. I figured, I'm getting a new one soon anyway so might as well try some of these remedies I hear on the web. 

What I tried was boiling it for a minute or so, drying it, and applying some talcum powder. First time around, I used way too much talcum, and the motor pulley didn't grip the belt at all. So, I washed it in hot water with a bit of liquid hand wash, and tada! It did the trick, and the music was seemingly up to speed again (I can't be bothered measuring)..

..for one side of a record. I stopped the turntable to put on a different record, and it didn't turn anymore. Pulley not gripping the belt at all. I tried washing in hot water again but it didn't work this time.

Now, the prospect of spending the long weekend without my turntable is dawning on me. Any suggestions? :(

Pulled it out of the freezer, onto the turntable, still no luck. I've put it back in the freezer though, hoping that maybe a little longer will do it, but I'll scan the web for other fixes too in the meantime. Thanks anyway :)

If you've got some super glue, cut the belt at 45 degrees and glue the belt overlapping so the cut runs over the pulley, not smacks into it. The cut side facing the pulley must start big then taper to small.

Guest Hensa

It usually helps to put a single twist in the belt as well. This tends to give the belt slightly better grip on the pulley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First thing I would do is clean all the belt contact contact points with alcohol or electronics cleaner 

Second is to use some 1000 grit wet dry to remove any mirror smooth surface as a mirror smooth surface is the main culprit - " The belt needs to grip " 

So sand the pulley also the platter belt ring  to remove any mirror surface 

and then sand the belt gently - this can be done while on a towel or cloth on a bench 

Edited by Full Range
  • Like 1