My System Today

17 hours ago, frankn said:

Bicycling round Belair National Park Adventure loop - ended up living up to the name. But it is a very easy track, just one of those things. 

All the best mate...hope you are pushing pedals ASAP...

Whats the R&M time for the leg...

Edited by Rob181

1 hour ago, Rob181 said:

All the best mate...hope you are pushing pedals ASAP...

Whats the R&M time for the leg...

Thank you @Rob181  Full recovery 6 - 12 weeks. Hope it will be towards the former. Might be on a trainer for light spinning in 2 - 3 weeks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frankn said:

Might be on a trainer for light spinning in 2 - 3 weeks.

The sooner that happens the better...9 weeks before I could get on a trainer...

Being able to complete on full pedal rotation was a fantastic day in my leg rehab...

Keep us up to date on the rehab...it gets as boring as batshite lying in a hospital...

My system tonight...???...however no feet up in the pic, that you can see.

Nearly there, new cart to come and some room treatment...& she's officially done,  unless those stunning Avalon Saga's, from the Hong Kong show...replace my Indra's, I'm playing powerball tomorrow.

DSCN1304.thumb.JPG.60282896442873dff958d2f6d0221015.JPG

Edited by Bass13
  • Like 11
  • Love 1

My system tonight...[emoji445][emoji445][emoji444]...however no feet up in the pic, that you can see.
Nearly there, new cart to come and some room treatment...& she's officially done,  unless those stunning Avalon Isis from the Hong Kong show...replace my Indra's, I'm playing powerball tomorrow.

DSCN1304.thumb.JPG.60282896442873dff958d2f6d0221015.JPG
Very nice. Accustic arts are very impressive
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Happy said:

Would be obliged if you posted some more (and brighter) pics of your system. Looks very interesting.

Can do but will take some time as that's not my system :unsure:

Would believe the owner would be happy to take a couple more pics though, sure.

Something I can say about it he raves about the imaging and sub 50Hz bass timbre/character and I have to agree. Put it this way after a listen at 100 dB ish tried to emulate it later on another system, bad move.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Happy said:

@YNWaN that’s a beautiful setup I’m curious what prompted you to mate the Naim rig to the new .yammies?

Thanks - I enjoy it :) . As to the mating of components, well I was already using the Naim gear with a pair of Epos ES14s when a friend loaned me the pair Yamaha NS-1000Ms he had just bought. Within a few minutes of listening I knew I had to have a pair. So, with the help of said friend, a second pair were swiftly procured. I then spent over a year doing a massive refurbishment of them that involved many mods:

1/ refurbished the cabinets in gloss black laminate

2/ deleted the adjustment pots and replaced with fixed resistors

3/ reinforced front baffle

4/ created internal bracing to the back of the bass driver

5/ externalised the crossovers

6/ upgraded all the crossover components

7/ sprayed surrounds of drive units satin black

8/ made anti-diffraction rings for mid and tweeter

9/ made front badges

10/ made new rear terminal panel

11/ made speaker stands

12/ made specific super-tweeters

umm... I think that’s it - but have probably missed something. 

In addition, the bass drivers are now run true active from their own amp, a Lab.gruppen ipd1200. This has a DSP front end that allows for the crossover slope and also three notch filters that address the room modes in the bass (one major and two minor).that is wh one socket on the crossover output is not connected - that would go to the bass driver if it was being run fully passive (this was part of my plan so I built it that way). 

The Naim gear isn’t entirely standard though. The internals of the pre-amp have been entirely replaced by those made by Ryan Sound Labs and the power supply has entirely different regulation (Avondale TPR4). The phonostage is an entirely custom design by Bruno Putzy and built by myself and a friend - the Paradise (a four box, entirely dual mono design with twin power supplies and signal boxes. 

So, sorry for the rambling post - hopefully, somewhere in there, is your answer :) .

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, YNWaN said:

Thanks - I enjoy it :) . As to the mating of components, well I was already using the Naim gear with a pair of Epos ES14s when a friend loaned me the pair Yamaha NS-1000Ms he had just bought. Within a few minutes of listening I knew I had to have a pair. So, with the help of said friend, a second pair were swiftly procured. I then spent over a year doing a massive refurbishment of them that involved many mods:

1/ refurbished the cabinets in gloss black laminate

2/ deleted the adjustment pots and replaced with fixed resistors

3/ reinforced front baffle

4/ created internal bracing to the back of the bass driver

5/ externalised the crossovers

6/ upgraded all the crossover components

7/ sprayed surrounds of drive units satin black

8/ made anti-diffraction rings for mid and tweeter

9/ made front badges

10/ made new rear terminal panel

11/ made speaker stands

12/ made specific super-tweeters

umm... I think that’s it - but have probably missed something. 

In addition, the bass drivers are now run true active from their own amp, a Lab.gruppen ipd1200. This has a DSP front end that allows for the crossover slope and also three notch filters that address the room modes in the bass (one major and two minor).that is wh one socket on the crossover output is not connected - that would go to the bass driver if it was being run fully passive (this was part of my plan so I built it that way). 

The Naim gear isn’t entirely standard though. The internals of the pre-amp have been entirely replaced by those made by Ryan Sound Labs and the power supply has entirely different regulation (Avondale TPR4). The phonostage is an entirely custom design by Bruno Putzy and built by myself and a friend - the Paradise (a four box, entirely dual mono design with twin power supplies and signal boxes. 

So, sorry for the rambling post - hopefully, somewhere in there, is your answer :) .

Thank you for sharing your experiences very interesting. I assumed they have to be those new speakers emulating the 1000 since they looked so modern and bling...! Is the DSP applied to 20-20kHz?

1 hour ago, Happy said:

Thank you for sharing your experiences very interesting. I assumed they have to be those new speakers emulating the 1000 since they looked so modern and bling...! Is the DSP applied to 20-20kHz?

No, not new at all - just ‘refreshed’ ;) . In fact, since I took those pictures, which wasn’t that long ago, I’m made a couple of changes - I’ve altered the badges to ones that are in Yamaha’s current style and I’ve changed th design of the anti-diffraction rings. Here’s an absolutely current pic:

s44zotx.jpg

I’ve also built a DC Blocker that feeds most of the gear and added a BMU (balanced mains unit/transformer):

717A28B9-33EA-4FE2-BB95-53F891150088_zps

3AD66962-E366-4108-9400-4AAED1B2D5E0_zps

As you can imagine, the HiFi has its own room to live in ;) .

To answer your question regarding th DSP, no, it doesn’t cover the whole frequency range, it’s only applied to the bass drivers. The mids and tweeters are still run from the passive crossovers - I believe this sounds better. I have room panels that handle aberrations in the higher frequencies and DSP is not needed there. Effectively, the speakers are powered by two amplifiers (although there are actually three as one amp is a pair of monoblocks); the mids and tweeters are run by the Naim power amps via the passive crossover and the bass drivers active via the lab.gruppen and its own internal crossover. 

LabGruppensystemstructure_zps0c29865b.jp

Edited by YNWaN
Lots of typo errors
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Happy said:

Wow finetuning the whole thing with measurements etc must have been a chore

Yes, I guess it was a bit of a pain (but that’s half the fun ;) ). There were two issues to address, 1/ the programming of the active crossover and, 2/ the programming of the DSP room correction. 

I already knew the crossover slopes of the Yammies so that wasn’t so bad. However, after much listening I ended up changing the bass crossover from the original second order to a steeper third order slope and slightly moving the turnover frequency up a touch. A friend is experienced with using the REW room measurement software and he brought his microphone over and measured my room for me - he also advised on where he would apply the notches (no attempt is made to compensate for frequency dips). Although there then followed a lot of experimentation I was assisted by the fact that you can store up to 50 different sets of settings (‘maps’) in the Lab.gruppen and hot swop them without having to turn anything off or mute the volume. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darryl said:

Look fantastic.

Ramble away. Always interesting to read about hot rodded hifi :)

Thanks Darryl :) - you’ll love my system then because it’s nearly all hot rodded or entirely custom!

—————————

@ Bass13, that Accustic Arts power amp you have is an absolute monster :) !

Edited by YNWaN
Dumb mistake
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...