My System Today

17 hours ago, JukKluk2 said:

image.thumb.png.c8eda25da41698fc00db6d4bc79068e2.png

My current listening system (Audioquest Dragonfly Red not pictured) in my purpose* built listening room.

*Purpose of build not anything to do with home audio. It's not even home, though you may have guessed that already.

Mate!!

What has happened/

To those toe nails??

3 minutes ago, joz said:

Mate!!

What has happened/

To those toe nails??

Awaiting the arrival of a team member from podiatry. They didn't want anyone messing with them until my foot had settled down after the surgery (a Talectomy, has been done on both feet, I will be 4cm shorter than when I started). Prior to surgery they were both splayed outwards at 45 degrees.

1 hour ago, JukKluk2 said:

Awaiting the arrival of a team member from podiatry. They didn't want anyone messing with them until my foot had settled down after the surgery (a Talectomy, has been done on both feet, I will be 4cm shorter than when I started). Prior to surgery they were both splayed outwards at 45 degrees.

Hopefully they'll relocate those 4cm.

But seriously what does that all mean.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, joz said:

But seriously what does that all mean.

It means that I will be able to walk (reasonably) normally, I won't have to take handfuls of opiate based pain killers just to get through the day, that I might be able to go to a few GTGs in the Sydney/Illawarra area, and will be able, after a suitable rehabilitation process, to return to work. And if the mood takes me, go dancing with my wife.

• Like 9

Guest The Fresh Prince
10 hours ago, JukKluk2 said:

Couldn't agree more. @The Fresh Prince for those who have arrived late, would you care to detail your system?

Thanks very much!

Magico S5

REL Gibraltars x2

Accuphase 6100 power amp

Accuphase DG58 voicing unit

Accupjase DC37 dac

Accuphase 2420 preamp

Slee accession/elevator phono

Sources:

MacMini with attached hard drives for DSD files, and Tidal streaming.

SME 20/12 TT with SME V12 arm

VdH cables

Dedicated phase of power

Custom built room with thin wall/Flexi construction

RPG treatments

IMG_0914.JPG

IMG_0915.JPG

Edited by The Fresh Prince

13 minutes ago, The Fresh Prince said:

Thanks very much!

Magico S5

REL Gibraltars x2

Accuphase 6100 power amp

Accuphase 2420 preamp

Sources:

VdH cables

Dedicated phase of power

RPG treatments

IMG_0914.JPG

Wow that is amazing excellent work FP respect!!

Guest BobbyD
16 minutes ago, The Fresh Prince said:

Thanks very much!

Magico S5

REL Gibraltars x2

Accuphase 6100 power amp

Accuphase 2420 preamp

Sources:

VdH cables

Dedicated phase of power

RPG treatments

IMG_0914.JPG

I was in SA last week, I should have dropped in for a listen. :lol:

Seriously..... very tasty, must sound great. :thumb:

5 hours ago, JukKluk2 said:

t means that I will be able to walk (reasonably) normally, I won't have to take handfuls of opiate based pain killers just to get through the day, that I might be able to go to a few GTGs in the Sydney/Illawarra area, and will be able, after a suitable rehabilitation process, to return to work. And if the mood takes me, go dancing with my wife.

Must give you the shits having to lay on your back all the time mate.

Best wishes for the future and good to see you want to pan the opiates.:thumb:

I have left the world of open baffles where I dwelt for the past 15 years or so (left for the time being anyhow).

I have been playing with a pair of Audio Nirvana classic 10 drivers for the last year or so. 

At first I had them in boxes very like the manufacturer's recommendation - but I couldn't get no satisfaction - plenty of punch, but a very sharp bottom end roll off to nothing.

Then I made an adaptor plate and tried them in tall tapered open baffles along with two Hawthorne Augies for bass. They sounded good, but the rising response made them sound a bit thin, and too much like Lowthers for my tastes (I have only heard Lowthers once, and when my brain stopped bleeding I decided they weren't my cup of tea).

Then I put them in wider baffles from my favourite hi fi audio supplier and art dealer (Bunnings). - each dwelt with a single Augie in the same baffle ... Better ... But ... ...

I had a pair of old solid British cabinets from the 70s with peeling veneer ... I butchered them so the AN 10s fitted - sealed they had no bass, but I adapted a couple bits of mdf with 8" holes as cabinet backs - filled the boxes with stuffing, and they sounded almost great.

'Now we are getting somewhere' I thought.

I tossed and I turned trying to get some sleep - but I couldn't ... thoughts of boxes danced in my head. "Hey, this is no way to spend an afternoon" I thought.

I contacted Edward at Adelaide Speakers Design (Ascension), and he listened patiently. He designed and built a pair of transmission lines to suit the drivers.

They sound like bought ones! The AN Classic 10s love their new homes - much, much, much better sound than with a BR box. They still have the rising mid/treble response as you'd expect, but listening a bit off axis largely deals with that. Being a single driver speaker, one can't expect miracles - the bass is not bad, but a bit gentle for some music ... I have an old subwoofer, and that helps with such tunes. A bit of equalisation at the bottom end does also delivers extra weight (I am still considering the purchase of a dbx graphic equaliser (I like the analogue adjustment of such machines). But all in all I'm happy. So is the Missus - she is much happier with these than with the big OBs (though she'd never say so).

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

Edited by ALF
Incompetence
  • Like 11

3 minutes ago, Happy said:

@ALF that's a nice looking rig mate - is that an Earle's PP amp in the middle? I once ran AN12 & AN15 with his Time Machine 300B. The transmisssion lines cabs sound great. 

Yeh - that's the Earle Topaz. Lovely amp.

I used to have a 300B Time Machine (I sorta wish I still did - My birthday is in November Earle!) ...

• Like 1

Just now, ALF said:

I'd like to hear the AN 15" ... a mellow sound I'd think.

It wasn't bad at all. About the largest sound stage you can expect from full-range speakers I reckon.

Come to think of it, I also had Earle's Trinity once briefly with the ANs. 

After ANs, I've got this weird idea that I don't want no crossover between amps and speakers!

• Like 1

The crossover-less life is one of light and freedom - I love it!

This is what makes me so cautious about going down the eq path - the eq is before the amp of course, but it's still there never the less.

Edited by ALF
Auto spelling correct - doesn't know what it's on about
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ALF said:

The crossover-less life is one of light and freedom - I love it!

This is what makes me so cautious about going down the eq path - the eq is before the amp of course, but it's still there never the less.

Depends on how you approach it. While I didn't mind the coherency and simplicity of full-range speakers I wanted even more scale and the better ability to reproduce complex tutti of large orchestral music. Once you prefer to believe/experience that AD/DA conversion & DSP are sufficiently transparent while analog sound processing necessarily involves distortion colouration etc, the sound can become a lot more realistic by adding EQ and multiple amps/drivers. Yes everything gets way more complex and troubleshooting becomes necessarily more difficult, but the reward is totally worth the trouble.