Singxer SU-1 USB Bridge ~ A Game Changer for USB and Computer Audio.

Guest rmpfyf
1 hour ago, scumbag said:

A little bit more pricey than the other chinese units!!!!

Not being made in China may have something to do with this :)

For those seeking PCM only this may be a better scalpel. 

Guest scumbag
1 hour ago, rmpfyf said:

Not being made in China may have something to do with this :)

For those seeking PCM only this may be a better scalpel. 

Better steel costs more!

I have just been reading what mods can be done to the Singxer SU1.

Kitune does a tuned edition or upgrade if you have bought your SIngxer from them.

Sound Affairs does an external power supply kit with two price levels.

Has anyone had any experience with any upgrades to their Singxers?

Guest scumbag
10 minutes ago, BAM said:

Kitune does a tuned edition or upgrade if you have bought your SIngxer from them.

$930 AUD. Ouch.

The Sound Affairs prices are:

Elementa external power supply . $450 US

Elite external power supply.           $750 US

So yes, ouch.

I have read that upgrading caps, regulators and transformer can give great results but it is a bit of a leap of faith.

46 minutes ago, BAM said:

It is a very long read, but the info is in there. Will try to find the exact details later today.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1172

Guest scumbag
4 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

Another video where they have a membrane of some sort in front to keep the room more lively.

At the 8mins 48 seconds.

I was going different materials. Any tips if someone else has tried?

Did you mean to post in another thread by any chance? 

Edited by scumbag

Guest scumbag
3 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

Thanks scumbag. I went looking for my post and could not find it!

Now in the correct one. ;)

I tracked it down already. Should a been a detective... 

Guest m_james

I just wonder if this unit is an upgrade from the units already on offer if SPDIF is the only input your DAC has available. Considering there is said to be inferior quality with that input. Some other units plug straight into the DAC.

2 hours ago, m_james said:

I just wonder if this unit is an upgrade from the units already on offer if SPDIF is the only input your DAC has available. Considering there is said to be inferior quality with that input. Some other units plug straight into the DAC.

This my take on this.

Most music server manufacturers agree that USB is superior to spdif e.g. Antipodes Audio. Having said this USB is not perfect. Units like Singxer receives the imperfect USB and converts it to a more perfect Spdif.

If my Antipodes music server had spdif out I could do a comparison.

If your DAC only receives spdif you must have a server/ computer that does spdif out which in theory is inferior to a USB (unconverted) output.

My next experiment is determining how good I2s is using a quality HDMI cable.

Guest m_james
8 minutes ago, BAM said:

This my take on this.

Most music server manufacturers agree that USB is superior to spdif e.g. Antipodes Audio. Having said this USB is not perfect. Units like Singxer receives the imperfect USB and converts it to a more perfect Spdif.

If my Antipodes music server had spdif out I could do a comparison.

If your DAC only receives spdif you must have a server/ computer that does spdif out which in theory is inferior to a USB (unconverted) output.

My next experiment is determining how good I2s is using a quality HDMI cable.

Yes I understand the importance of spdif converters, I was just interested in comparing the Singxer to other converters. Probably need to do an audition to determine that.

Guest scumbag
3 hours ago, m_james said:

USB has in the past been generally regarded as inferior to the SPDIF input on DAC's in the past. There are exceptions to this rule such as Clay's Klien DAC.

Guest m_james
2 minutes ago, scumbag said:

USB has in the past been generally regarded as inferior to the SPDIF input on DAC's in the past. There are exceptions to this rule such as Clay's Klien DAC.

I was thinking of more of HDMI, BNC than USB in particular.

Guest scumbag
9 hours ago, m_james said:

Yes I understand the importance of spdif converters, I was just interested in comparing the Singxer to other converters. Probably need to do an audition to determine that.

If you can get access to a loaner of the yellotec puc2 you really should have a listen. The xmos sounds great but the Puc2, in my experience brings an organic feel to my digital system. It's not going to grab your in the same way as an xmos based unit but the Puc2 allows you to listen fatigue free for hours. As always it's a matter of balance. In the system i am running at the moment with a devaliet there is already tonnes of detail so the xmos units that I've owned have tipped  things too far into detail whereas the Puc2 restores balance. I've found using an ifi iusb great to feed the Puc2. 

9 hours ago, m_james said:

There are many of these comparisons by others on the net. Over at Computeraudiophile especially.

I think @scumbag has given a good explanation.

If you are looking at non usb: I did look at that in the past: J Kenny (Jkeny), Sonore and Bel Canto had products, in other words they are not current.

Guest scumbag
12 minutes ago, Jventer said:

There are many of these comparisons by others on the net. Over at Computeraudiophile especially.

If you are looking at non usb: I did look at that in the past: J Kenny (Jkeny), Sonore and Bel Canto had products, in other words they are not current.

And I'm not in any way trying to discount the opinions of many users or there that have found the xmos to be a revelation. But yes, things have moved on. There is a new guard and the xmos chip for many leaves the older solutions behind. 

Edited by scumbag

Guest rmpfyf
12 hours ago, scumbag said:

Unlikely. It's just timing, timing, timing. i.e. Jitter.

Clays' Klein at last count uses an Amanero - not the last word in USB-source jitter. This isn't a criticism, more just a suggestion that there's better out there, and that what's in the Klein is somewhat ubiquitous. 

Edited by rmpfyf

3 hours ago, Jventer said:

If anybody wants to read the definitive thread on converters on CA, this is the link.  There are 600 posts but it is interesting reading if you have the time.  I bought Berkeley based upon the results

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/15026-15-usbspdif-converters-shootout/.

John

Edited by Assisi
  • Like 1

Guest scumbag
1 hour ago, Assisi said:

If anybody wants to read the definitive thread on converters on CA, this is the link.  There are 600 posts but it is interesting reading if you have the time.  I bought Berkeley based upon the results

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/15026-15-usbspdif-converters-shootout/.

John

I usually start reading these threads then give up before the end. It doesn't help when members of the forum start flame wars with each other.

Edited by scumbag
things