Singxer SU-1 USB Bridge ~ A Game Changer for USB and Computer Audio.

No I didn't play with any settings at the back or underneath. The Singxer unit belonged to Rocky who ordered it preset for i2s connection compatible with the Holodac.

If you are using the i2s connection from the Singxer to your dac/Server, you will need to align the Word-Clock-Data lines in the i2s lead for the dac/server and Singxer unit to 'see' each other. Fortunately, the Singxer has switches underneath that allow you to do this.

Unfortunately, there seems to be no industry standard as to how i2s connections are made with components from different manufacturers. Well, at least that is my understanding of the situation.

Cheers,

Steve.

• Like 1

I think the Singxer SU-1 will do DOP only unless you install the latest windows driver for the Holo Dac(just to support the Singxer), then it can do native DSD.

I read rumors there will be a new firmware coming for the Singxer that will alow it to do Native DSD for other OS.

Guest scumbag
13 hours ago, Steve M said:

No I didn't play with any settings at the back or underneath. The Singxer unit belonged to Rocky who ordered it preset for i2s connection compatible with the Holodac.

If you are using the i2s connection from the Singxer to your dac/Server, you will need to align the Word-Clock-Data lines in the i2s lead for the dac/server and Singxer unit to 'see' each other. Fortunately, the Singxer has switches underneath that allow you to do this.

Unfortunately, there seems to be no industry standard as to how i2s connections are made with components from different manufacturers. Well, at least that is my understanding of the situation.

Cheers,

Steve.

I think an email to Antipodes to get the details of the I2S input on their device would in order.

On 5/3/2017 at 11:50 PM, zenelectro said:

I looked at Singxer but reclocking of I2S is done inside Xilinx FPGA.

Not a good idea and I'm surprised they do something like this.   

Why is it not a good idea if I may ask? From all I can see in many DDC an FPGA is used on the I2S either for buffer or reclock. Gustard XMOS based DDC  use an Altera FPGA. Amanaero USB also uses a Xylink also even it already uses Atmel FPGA for the usb conversion. 

After a 1 minute google search.....

Quote from a Principal Engineer, major FPGA manufacturer:

"even with the -90 degree clock trick, you will not get below 35 ps P-P.  If that is a problem, then you should fix the system

and layout, as nothing you will do will make it any better without NOT having the clocks go through the FPGA device"

IOW most implementations will have jitter much worse than this.

T

I see the new firmware is out! But it is only accessible if you are a kitsunehifi customer. :(

On his site

"NEW 2017 firmware (2.22 and 2.20) for DSD512 native is for customers only and by email request only. This will support the newest OS for Sonore Urendu @ full dsd512 native!"

1.only for Singxer SU-1,support DSD512 in native.
2.Do not upgrade any other XMOS device,including SINGXER other XMOS device.
3.V2.20 update for V2.00; (for holo audio, Audio-GD, L.K.S.)
V2.22 update for V2.02. (for PSAUDIO, Gustard, )
This will allow DSD512 only with some versions of linux, or newest OS on the Sonore Microrendu
and with Windows and HoloAudio Spring signed drivers installed. NOT singxer drivers (these only support DSD256 over DOP)

Edited by rocky500

7 hours ago, rocky500 said:

I see the new firmware is out! But it is only accessible if you are a kitsunehifi customer. :(

Great way to build on his brand!!! I can't get DSD to work with SPDIF so no loss to me -  but any firmware updates should be available to all.

Guest scumbag
31 minutes ago, Nap250 said:

Great way to build on his brand!!! I can't get DSD to work with SPDIF so no loss to me -  but any firmware updates should be available to all.

It's not really Kitsunehifi's fault per-see. I guess he's just trying to look after customers and perhaps capture people into buying from him. I don't think any manufacturer is obliged to give away the XMOS drivers or make them freely available. But they can't stop a Scumbag like me ferreting them out.

1 hour ago, scumbag said:

It's not really Kitsunehifi's fault per-see. I guess he's just trying to look after customers and perhaps capture people into buying from him. I don't think any manufacturer is obliged to give away the XMOS drivers or make them freely available. But they can't stop a Scumbag like me ferreting them out.

I agree with you I was under the impression that it is the guy who is making Singxer who developed the firmware and accordingly should make it available. I must say having sent them 2 emails with zero response - I wouldn't go recommending them for any service awards. This is in stark contrast to every other manufacturer I have dealt with where response times can range from 1/2 hour (Antipodes 2nd to none) and Naim and Meitner with 12-24 hours with different time zones. 

Who developed the firmware?if it was Kitsune then I have no issues with him not making it available.

Guest scumbag
2 minutes ago, Nap250 said:

I agree with you I was under the impression that it is the guy who is making Singxer who developed the firmware and accordingly should make it available. I must say having sent them 2 emails with zero response - I wouldn't go recommending them for any service awards. This is in stark contrast to every other manufacturer I have dealt with where response times can range from 1/2 hour (Antipodes 2nd to none) and Naim and Meitner with 12-24 hours with different time zones. 

Who developed the firmware?if it was Kitsune then I have no issues with him not making it available.

XMOS don't even make their drivers available to the general public.

Guest scumbag
1 minute ago, Nap250 said:

How do you update the firmware on the SingXer?

Read the instructions? :sorry:

Seriously though, if you expand the rar file, it explains it in the PDF.

Edited by scumbag

2 minutes ago, scumbag said:

Read the instructions? :sorry:

Seriously though, if you expand the rar file, it explains it in the PDF.

Didn't work on the iPad will try windows. 

Guest scumbag
5 minutes ago, Nap250 said:

Didn't work on the iPad will try windows. 

Ipad? You need a real computer. ;)  I can open them on Android but you, know, that's Android.

Edited by scumbag

I had to install the "Singxer-USB-Audio-Class2-Driver_v3.34.0.exe" driver on my laptop. (Windows 10)

Then connect the Singxer direct to it with USB.

Then follow the instructions.

Worked fine with my Curious cable.

Edited by rocky500
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, scumbag said:

Ipad? You need a real computer. ;)  I can open them on Android but you, know, that's Android.

Just got my free RAR unpacker it's now readable, hopefully understandable as well.

Guest scumbag
Just now, Nap250 said:

Just got my free RAR unpacker it's now readable, hopefully understandable as well.

You'll still need a PC to run the executable. 

18 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

I had to install the "Singxer-USB-Audio-Class2-Driver_v3.34.0.exe" driver on my laptop. (Windows 10)

Then connect the Singxer direct to it with USB.

Then follow the instructions.

Worked fine with my Curious cable.

Did you notice any improvement?

9 minutes ago, Nap250 said:

Did you notice any improvement?

No, I don't think so.

It was mainly so I can try a linux distro at some stage and it may be able to do Native DSD.

Tried Roon and upsampling to DSD and get upto 256 Native but no sound when I try 512. My Dac is the Holo.

I used the v2.22 and looking a bit more, maybe I could use v2.20. I think the difference is swapping left and right channels.

Edited by rocky500
  • Like 1