Looking for Powerful LFE? - Enter the DIY GJallarhorn Sub

Mushroom01

7 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

These type of enclosures are incredibly difficult to design well IMHO.

Yes, the Nexo/Speakerplans 6th order BP design doesn't seem to change much, I assume pros have time and materials to tinker to get it just right and AFAIK if you get it wrong, you DO get HF products distortion (c/- subwoofer builder)

Red Spade Audio has post on the subject re the 6th order BP being hard to locate sonically in a room due to this low distortion.

I still maintain that it's the pure Helmholtz cavity resonance in both cases eliminating the driver/room direct interface that's at issue - the driver is not merely 'slapping' the room air, there is a transition of solid/gas sound medium as in a TL or horn loaded woofer.

On 12/25/2016 at 3:01 PM, megamond said:

I still maintain that it's the pure Helmholtz cavity resonance in both cases eliminating the driver/room direct interface that's at issue - the driver is not merely 'slapping' the room air, there is a transition of solid/gas sound medium as in a TL or horn loaded woofer.

Hi MM,

you may be correct, but in a 6th order design it adds to the complexity of the design to ensure the air velocity is low enough to avoid chuffing/port noise through any ports.

IME, any sub (or subs) designed with low distortion will produce similar results "in the room" with good integration.

The "type" of sub matters less.

YMMV.

cheers

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 28/12/2016 at 4:37 PM, almikel said:

IME, any sub (or subs) designed with low distortion will produce similar results "in the room" with good integration.

Understandable, given the (fundamental of many instruments') frequencies involved, but it's probably a matter of whether one has 'cloth ears' - it may only essentially be 'rumble', but the distortion is in the audible, not tactile, frequencies above this.

That said, I should listen to a few more TL/horns as a comparison.