Chesky Records Limited Edition - 10 Best

Marc

• Administrator

All I'll do is shake my head in disbelief at some people's attitudes.

No one held a gun to your head.

I apologise in advance for not being able to compete with the likes of JB HiFi, and also for not having a store so having to charge for shipping (Express Post).

I guess its just typical fashion of JB really. Make $7.00 on a CD but sell 5,000 of to justify it.

As discussed, I have cancelled your order and refunded your payment alebonau.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alebonau

All I'll do is shake my head in disbelief at some people's attitudes.

No one held a gun to your head.

I apologise in advance for not being able to compete with the likes of JB HiFi, and also for not having a store so having to charge for shipping (Express Post).

I guess its just typical fashion of JB really. Make $7.00 on a CD but sell 5,000 of to justify it.

As discussed, I have cancelled your order and refunded your payment alebonau.

[/b]

thankyou marc, I see you have updated your post here since, to say that you have refunded my order. A pm response to my simple request would have been appreciated.

Basically I was infact not going to cancel my order untill however I saw this post of yours last night prior to your editing. I wont be buying anything from your website in the future prior to doing my own research.

As I posted prior I see it as my fault for not adequately researching before the purchase. I dont expect you to be aware of pricing other retailers are sellign things at. Do appreciate your offer for a refund and have taken you up on it as dont see the need for me to spend 50% more on the item in this case.

Guest alebonau

OK opened the disc and first thing I read...

"Most CDs are recorded with multiple microphones in a dead sounding studio, with reverb and overdubs added in the mix. Chesky's approach is purer: It records in the natural reverberance of old St Peter's church in Manhattan, using custom-made vacuum-tube recording gear, a single microphone(in most cases), and no audio processing or over dubbing. The result is a spacious, natural sound you simply cannot hear in ordinary commercial recordings..."

hmm like the sounds of this already and havent even heard it yet !!!

Listening to the first couple of tracks and certainly recorded very well and captures all the ambience of a live recording that so many other supposed live recordings you hear just fail to do.

The room fills with sound with the natural reverb you get listenign to somethign live. there is a lovely sense of space. The pluck of instruments, the taught sound of the bass. The separation across the sound stage the depth of instruments, beautifull air around the vocals.

Oh yes I certainly like the sounds of this disk !

some very nice music on it, very well recorded, think I'm goign to get quite a bit of enjoyment out of it. thanks marc for putting me onto it ! :rolleyes:

OK opened the disc and first thing I read...

"Most CDs are recorded with multiple microphones in a dead sounding studio, with reverb and overdubs added in the mix. Chesky's approach is purer: It records in the natural reverberance of old St Peter's church in Manhattan, using custom-made vacuum-tube recording gear, a single microphone(in most cases), and no audio processing or over dubbing. The result is a spacious, natural sound you simply cannot hear in ordinary commercial recordings..."

[/b]

I think most of the chesky iscs have that written on them.

Thanks for the preview Al, can't wait till the postman drops mine off now

Guest alebonau

I think most of the chesky iscs have that written on them.

Thanks for the preview Al, can't wait till the postman drops mine off now

[/b]

probably does john, I've never really bought any chesky discs bar one of their test discs to know. Quality on this one is just great and some very nice tunes too.

well Aus post just droppd it off at my door, tonight will be spent listening to it.

Thanks Marc [/b]

Ah thats good service.

Just a question to those of you have listened to it already, what is it like music wise? Al has stated that the sound quality is great (well mastered etc.), but is the music itself anything to write home about?

Ah thats good service.

Just a question to those of you have listened to it already, what is it like music wise? Al has stated that the sound quality is great (well mastered etc.), but is the music itself anything to write home about?

[/b]

It is very Jazz & Blues orientated im up to track 8 which I do like Fever from New York Blue/ Valerie Joyce

Must be because of "Nthn Suburbs" poke poke :rolleyes:

[/b]

Yeah there's something in the air, just like the pre-amps.... We have to import them vacuum sealed. :ohmy:

Guest alebonau

Ah thats good service.

[/b]

I do like the music drizt. its old school stuff. you know diana krall kind of music. some old standards. not sure if thats your sort of thing. but if you like good vocals and instrumentation then yeah it is very nice.

the tests at the end are interesting. theres one with a click thats meant to come from the centre to check your balance. phew comes from the centre. theres also an in-phase and out of phase which is fun. in-phase and his voice comes from centre of speakers and 'out of phase' and his voice comes from everywhere. not too sure on the sub xover test. well not sure what its meant to sound like. the pink noise will be handy on our next test disc I reckon to level match between components.

Im in Sydney Nth Subs, had it at 0800 , where were they sent from.

[/b]

Bloody aus post hehehe I'm 15 minutes down the Tulla from Sunbury where Marc is but somehow it ends up in Sydney first... :rolleyes:

had a listen to it last night,a nd as per usual chesky recordings, it is great.

Like Al i was happy to hear the little beep dead centre :rolleyes:

The music is Jazz and there are a few good songs on it which i didn't mind, and would listen tothem again.

The test part for me wasn't usefull as i have many other discs with the same tests on them.

It is a great cd and can realy bring out the best or worst is a system

for those that have the disc, play track 9 and read the liner notes.

and i qoute

"Coryell's acoustic guitar dominates the right channel"

Which then had me worried, so i played track 12: channel ID/phase test

no problem there

Guest alebonau

for those that have the disc, play track 9 and read the liner notes.

and i qoute

"Coryell's acoustic guitar dominates the right channel"

Which then had me worried, so i played track 12: channel ID/phase test

no problem there

[/b]

track 12 on my system the acoustic guitar comes fro mthe "left channel" for sure not right as they say on the liner notes. a cock up there obviosuly.

the the "humanly" generated sounds eg the "body slapping" comign from dead centre though have some very good depth.

track 12 on my system the acoustic guitar comes fro mthe "left channel" for sure not right as they say on the liner notes. a cock up there obviosuly.

the the "humanly" generated sounds eg the "body slapping" comign from dead centre though have some very good depth.

[/b]

Do you mean the guitar from track 9, Mine also comes from the left channel , and yet with the tests all is in order ??

Guest alebonau

Do you mean the guitar from track 9, Mine also comes from the left channel , and yet with the tests all is in order ??

[/b]

yes same as you, was just following up on johna's post above that guitar weas comign from the left yet supposed to come from right and the 'left speaker', right speaker test was fine on my system.