Vincent PHO-8 phono pre amp.......first impressions.

What a bizarre conversation here!  :P

On 21/04/2016 at 10:13 PM, initforthemusic said:

Yep, good little budget Phono pre. Set one up in a mate's system and he's very happy with it.

Like nearly all Vincent components I've heard, outstanding performance to price ratio.

I think this comment is 'on the money'!  The important words are "outstanding performance to price ratio" ... which is not the same as "outstanding performance (ie. SQ)".  To say nothing of the possibly suspect build quality.

On 17/05/2017 at 2:57 PM, Wimbo said:

I play vinyl every day and the PHO8 is **** hot.

I presume you mean 'shite' hot?  Compared to what other phono stages that you've listened to?  BTW, I don't listen to vinyl every day but when I sit down to seriously listen ... it is always to vinyl! :D

Andy

Edited by andyr

In my experience, people who get a PHO-8 suddenly don't need to compare it with anything else, they're too busy enjoying seriously "outstanding performance"!:D My obvious bias doesn't negate the accuracy of my statement.......;):P

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, andyr said:

I presume you mean 'shite' hot?  Compared to what other phono stages that you've listened to?  BTW, I don't listen to vinyl every day but when I sit down to seriously listen ... it is always to vinyl! :D

Yeah, I couldnt afford anything Esoteric and when I saw the background , build quality and price of the PHO-8 I made the purchase.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Yeah, I couldnt afford anything Esoteric and when I saw the background , build quality and price of the PHO-8 I made the purchase.

Yes, the Esoteric 03 phono stage is indeed a good-sounding one!  :D

Andy

20 hours ago, Misterioso said:

Is this a serious question? 

yeah, why, have I got it wrong? .de on the internet site and German language settings.

I only have experience with German made tools, cycling equipment and Miele home appliances....and the experience is far different from these guys with their quality issues. Extremely well designed/engineered and produced goods is my experience.

Perhaps they outsourced (to get the product to a certain price point) and these issues result from a lack of manufacturing control? (lots of QC stickers on the back of the photos on the internet site shots.

Guest Misterioso
10 minutes ago, spider™ said:

Perhaps they outsourced (to get the product to a certain price point) 

This is certainly the case here. Prices for German-made hifi equipment are considerably higher. Just check T+A, Audionet, Brinkmann, Burmester, MBL etc. At a much lower price level, it is pretty save to assume that production has been outsourced to Asia. I am not suggesting that this is necessarily a bad thing. But in general, you get what you pay for.

3 hours ago, Misterioso said:

This is certainly the case here. Prices for German-made hifi equipment are considerably higher. Just check T+A, Audionet, Brinkmann, Burmester, MBL etc. At a much lower price level, it is pretty save to assume that production has been outsourced to Asia. I am not suggesting that this is necessarily a bad thing. But in general, you get what you pay for.

Feel happy to pay more for potentially no gain then........;)

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2

On 19/06/2017 at 6:45 PM, Misterioso said:

Yes Vincent products are designed in Germany and manufactured in China. Keeps cost low, and to my knowledge they use good quality components, although some of the tubes used (like many manufacturers) are crap. It's a good practice in my opinion as in my experience some of the top end Vincent products easily compete with or beat  much more expensive products. Quite a few big name companies manufacture in China. As long as design is good and QC is good there shouldn't be an issue. From memory Rotel would have been one of the earliest to manufacture in China.

Edited by initforthemusic
typo
  • Like 1

On 19/06/2017 at 6:45 PM, Misterioso said:

Not always the case. Have heard many reasonably priced equipment beat out some big $$$ equipment. Sadly too many "drink by the label".

• Like 1

On 18/06/2017 at 9:47 PM, andyr said:

What a bizarre conversation here!  :P

I think this comment is 'on the money'!  The important words are "outstanding performance to price ratio" ... which is not the same as "outstanding performance (ie. SQ)".  To say nothing of the possibly suspect build quality.

Andy

Yes spot on andyr. Whilst the PHO-8 does give "outstanding performance to price ratio", it can't compete with my much more expensive Quad 24P or my modded Audio Research Phono. I still think as an off the shelf with warranty Phono the PHO-8 is very hard to beat in it's price bracket. When I can tee up a time with my mate I'll do a comparo with the Doge 8 phono section, which is the lesser of my Phono stages, should be interesting.

Guest Misterioso
7 hours ago, initforthemusic said:

Not always the case. Have heard many reasonably priced equipment beat out some big $$$ equipment. Sadly too many "drink by the label".

Please read again. I wrote "in general" for a reason. I am not a native English speaker but in my understanding "in general" exactly means often but "not always the case". But sometimes people just want to misunderstand.

11 hours ago, initforthemusic said:

When I can tee up a time with my mate I'll do a comparo with the Doge 8 phono section, which is the lesser of my Phono stages, should be interesting.

Is this the MM input or the MC input on the Doge8.

A mate of mine bought one a few years ago - his opinion was the MM was great ... the MC not so good.  And when he removed the switch (so the MM input RCAs were directly connected) ... MM sounded even better!  :thumb:

Andy

15 hours ago, Misterioso said:

Please read again. I wrote "in general" for a reason. I am not a native English speaker but in my understanding "in general" exactly means often but "not always the case". But sometimes people just want to misunderstand.

No misunderstanding. Just emphasizing the point that you don't always get what you pay for a bit stronger than "in general". Cheers.

11 hours ago, andyr said:

Is this the MM input or the MC input on the Doge8.

A mate of mine bought one a few years ago - his opinion was the MM was great ... the MC not so good.  And when he removed the switch (so the MM input RCAs were directly connected) ... MM sounded even better!  :thumb:

Andy

Yes MM only Andy. The MC switch has been removed, which appears the way to go.;)

Its interesting to read all of comments about the PHO-800 and how it stacks up. Given it is often compared to much much more expensive phono stage units I wonder if it's not more relevant to also compare the higher spec PHO-700?

So my question for SNA members is, how does the Vincent PHO-700 compare against its little brother and other more expensive phono stage units?

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/hifi-review-vincent-audio-pho-700-tube-phono-stage-review/

Cheers Terry

Have the 700... And was a little "meh" about it. 

Was very clear and bright.... Not like the 800 which was surprising with the tube buffer. 

However, a mate of mine suggested tube rolling it. So bought a NOS tube and made big difference.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:29 AM, okitoki said:

Have the 700... And was a little "meh" about it. 

Was very clear and bright.... Not like the 800 which was surprising with the tube buffer. 

However, a mate of mine suggested tube rolling it. So bought a NOS tube and made big difference.

I am in doubt if I buy to use more on MC PHO-8 or the Trichord DINO MK1.

Sorry Reg, no experience of a Tricord but I do have a Vincent PHO 700 and am extremely happy with it. I find the sound produced a significant change from the entry level (but still good quality) Graham Slee Communicator 2 I've been using for ages. Don't know if it's the fact a tube is used,  I'm not a valve adherent as such, but I find it has a more relaxed yet immediate presentation, definitely easier to be drawn in to the music. It wasn't that I couldn't afford "better", indeed I had budgeted around two and a half thousand for my phono, I just came to realise that my vinyl collection and my craving for playing records were not of sufficient importance to me to warrant that kind of cash.

I loaned the Vincent from Surround Sounds in Malaga (pronounced Malaaaarga here in WA) and was delighted to hear such musicality and agreeableness, so bought it for $790:00 which I thought was peanuts (and this ain't no monkey) for the two box, solid built, stylish and above all enjoyable unit.

No doubt you can spend my 21/2 on far more exotic machines or sourced from countries with better reputations than China, but don't expect a huge margin of improvement in sound quality.

Equipment used with the Vincent, Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace TT with Space-Ace arm and Ortofon 2M Black, AMR DP777 pre-amp, and SGR MT 3.2 speakers.

Edited by Grimmie

Not to say of course that I'm not open to more increments of improvement, :lol: what Valves are we taking @okitoki and what sort of dollars. Over time I might stave off the urge to upgrade again, having left a doubting worm in my brain that I short-changed myself, by ding a little tube rolling.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Grimmie said:

Not to say of course that I'm not open to more increments of improvement, :lol: what Valves are we taking @okitoki and what sort of dollars. Over time I might stave off the urge to upgrade again, having left a doubting worm in my brain that I short-changed myself, by ding a little tube rolling.

Im out of the country at the moment so can't remember the model of the tube. My friend who recommended me the tube seared by some NOS tube but I just bought a cheaper one at around $50 ebayed and the result was good enough of an improvement..... 

I'll find out from him