USB/HDD > Pi > SBT > Amp. How?

How do you go for wifi in a sealed metal box?

What Hilton had was a very small modified metal box, with cutouts for the USB ports (and other connectors)... so a WiFi dongle could be inserted or removed at any time. It did look respectable. As to whether the metal could affect the WiFi signal, I would say it would... though it didn't seem to. I personally would go with plastic for Justine Case. For now though, I have my WiFi dongle plugged into a powered USB hub, about five to ten centimetres away from the Pi.

Edited by rastus
  • Like 1

Only retro-thermionic can be this retro and advance in any 100% DIY system. This all DIY system consists of a Pi3B mserver (all wifi and controled from the browser in my smart phone) running Rune 0.8XX and USB attached to a 2TB HD and USB DSD XMOS high performace DAC, a BoZ single jFET preamp and into Intermezzo power amp. The power amp uses 1920s UX171A tubes and an 80 rec. tube and is housed in a 1940s timber plant box. There are no resistors or capacitors in the audio cct. only an input and output transformer. The speakers are 15" Concentric Beymas in 170ltr inclosures. The Speakers - VoXGrandious - are 99db efficient and the amp only porduces 330mW but plays loud with a stack of bass. Oh-So-retro!!

post-108489-0-87863200-1463621277_thumb.

• Like 2

What Hilton had was a very small modified metal box, with cutouts for the USB ports (and other connectors)... so a WiFi dongle could be inserted or removed at any time. It did look respectable. As to whether the metal could affect the WiFi signal, I would say it would... though it didn't seem to. I personally would go with plastic for Justine Case. For now though, I have my WiFi dongle plugged into a powered USB hub, about five to ten centimetres away from the Pi.

It's even wifi harder with the Pi3 as wifi is onboard. Plastic case is the only way fortunately there is some nice ones out there.

I'm listening to the above setup and I just can't stop smiling. Would you believe I have to turn it down, 330mW is just too much.

• Like 1

Only retro-thermionic can be this retro and advance in any 100% DIY system. This all DIY system consists of a Pi3B mserver (all wifi and controled from the browser in my smart phone) running Rune 0.8XX and USB attached to a 2TB HD and USB DSD XMOS high performace DAC, a BoZ single jFET preamp and into Intermezzo power amp. The power amp uses 1920s UX171A tubes and an 80 rec. tube and is housed in a 1940s timber plant box. There are no resistors or capacitors in the audio cct. only an input and output transformer. The speakers are 15" Concentric Beymas in 170ltr inclosures. The Speakers - VoXGrandious - are 99db efficient and the amp only porduces 330mW but plays loud with a stack of bass. Oh-So-retro!!

Love that plant box, I mean that, it's very nice! In the background, that's a sub right?

Edit: I believe ya, you 'have' to turn it down, I believe ya... thousands wouldn't! :P  The sound quality hey, it's... spell-bounding, isn't it.

Edited by rastus
  • Like 1

It's even wifi harder with the Pi3 as wifi is onboard. Plastic case is the only way fortunately there is some nice ones out there.

I'm listening to the above setup and I just can't stop smiling. Would you believe I have to turn it down, 330mW is just too much.

You haven't even made it past the first watt !!

• Like 2

Love that plant box, I mean that, it's very nice! In the background, that's a sub right?

Edit: I believe ya, you 'have' to turn it down, I believe ya... thousands wouldn't! :P  The sound quality hey, it's... spell-bounding, isn't it.

No sub just the single driver Beyma 15".

That should be Rune 0.4 according to credits in Rune. The input tranni in Intermezzo (power amp) has a nickel core and the tubes - UX-171A - have nickel plates. But the sound is gold. Human voice is angelic.

No sub just the single driver Beyma 15".

That should be Rune 0.4 according to credits in Rune. The input tranni in Intermezzo (power amp) has a nickel core and the tubes - UX-171A - have nickel plates. But the sound is gold. Human voice is angelic.

In a mono config? Just this last Sunday gone, I heard an early 1950's Bakers Selhurst 12" Deluxe speaker, in a DIY box. It's described as a "full range driver with an aluminium voicecoil cap and a horn shaped cone". All I know is it sounded freakn fantasTIC!

Some pics here (veiw down the page for more information)...

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/103167-sydney-audio-club-meeting-sunday-15th-may-2016-diy/#entry1616501

I noticed that, 0.8XX was just a tad pre-emptive! :P 

• Like 1

There's a hack that voids the Pi3's warranty, where you can either attach a connector for a wifi antenna (name escapes me now) or add a pigtail where the actual Pi's onboard antenna is located.

• Like 2

There's a hack that voids the Pi3's warranty, where you can either attach a connector for a wifi antenna (name escapes me now) or add a pigtail where the actual Pi's onboard antenna is located.

Or just disable the internal WiFi (if it becomes troublesome) and or the Bluetooth also and use a WiFi dongle attached to a powered USB hub moved away from the Pi. Attaching an antenna would void warranty for sure, but would increase the internal WiFi's capabilities (send and receive) depending on how well it's done, etc. I think I have read, and seen pics, of that being done.

In a mono config? Just this last Sunday gone, I heard an early 1950's Bakers Selhurst 12" Deluxe speaker, in a DIY box. It's described as a "full range driver with an aluminium voicecoil cap and a horn shaped cone". All I know is it sounded freakn fantasTIC!

Some pics here (veiw down the page for more information)...

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/103167-sydney-audio-club-meeting-sunday-15th-may-2016-diy/#entry1616501

I noticed that, 0.8XX was just a tad pre-emptive! :P

No full stereo with good sound stage and depth. The power amp is SE DHT. Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 1

Riiiightoooo....

I'm going to have to step down from the Raspberry boat for a moment. Turns out there's no native Spotify for ARM processors, and I'm too comfy with my laptop + Spotify + MPD + DAC to start all over again. I control it all with two apps on the phone, and it works a treat, and it's very user friendly.

It's a shame though, cause I really wanted to give it a go, but all the headache is not worth the hassle at the moment. Too bad! I'll probably revisit the Raspberry thing for other projects I think.

• Like 2

I'm going to have to step down from the Raspberry boat for a moment. Turns out there's no native Spotify for ARM processors, and I'm too comfy with my laptop + Spotify + MPD + DAC to start all over again. I control it all with two apps on the phone, and it works a treat, and it's very user friendly.

It's a shame though, cause I really wanted to give it a go, but all the headache is not worth the hassle at the moment. Too bad! I'll probably revisit the Raspberry thing for other projects I think.

No problems brother, do what you have to do... don't let me, or anyone else, try to change your mind. But when you decide the headache IS worth it, just so you know, I'm right now, this very minute, running RuneAudio on my Raspberry Pi 2B (ARMv7 processor) with.... Spotify support. See ya when ya come back brother.

Changelog: 0.3-beta (29/10/2014)

• Spotify Premium integration through spop
  • Made switch between MPD and Spotify almost seamless

http://www.runeaudio.com/changelog/

Note: From the RuneAudio UI.... "Enable Spotify client [EXPERIMENTAL]. You must have a Spotify PREMIUM account."

Note: Others have got it working.

Edited by rastus
  • Like 1

Riiiightoooo....

Listening to music should not be a headache. I barely took a Bex when getting my Pis on the cooker. But in this day and age getting convenient, quality music reproduction should be a God given right. I've not used Spotify and at this point don't want to pay for the privilege so I'm not aware of any issues.

I'm currently baking some Pi gems and hope soon to have some images up of ideas and finished products. I'm just basking in audio sunshine currently.

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 1

I'm struggling with a few rampant Pi's - I cannot get the OLED screen going on my Audiophonics case but Pi3 with RuneAudio on a 7" Pi screen is epically simple - I even forgot the Pi had built in wifi so when I fired it up with an adapter and saw 2 wifi ports I thought wtf?

Fantastic - will just have to figure out how to mount it

post-110771-0-59281000-1463920710_thumb.post-110771-0-59281000-1463920710_thumb.

• Like 1

Listening to music should not be a headache. I barely took a Bex when getting my Pis on the cooker. But in this day and age getting convenient, quality music reproduction should be a God given right. I've not used Spotify and at this point don't want to pay for the privilege so I'm not aware of any issues.

I'm currently baking some Pi gems and hope soon to have some images up of ideas and finished products. I'm just basking in audio sunshine currently.

Indeed. A bex? Not a Vincent's? Oh yes, that's why I went with RuneAudio... so simple, and my right to do so. If it ain't free, I don't want it. Something like the tele-marketers... trying to sell me something I don't need, don't want, and can't afford. Gems? Like Pi in the sky? I am so looking forward to anything that comes out of YOUR oven mwhouston, to be sure. As with you, I am still totally amazed at what the Pi does, listening all day yesterday, I was just bloooowwwn.

I'm struggling with a few rampant Pi's - I cannot get the OLED screen going on my Audiophonics case but Pi3 with RuneAudio on a 7" Pi screen is epically simple - I even forgot the Pi had built in wifi so when I fired it up with an adapter and saw 2 wifi ports I thought wtf?

Fantastic - will just have to figure out how to mount it

There's a guy over at the RuneAudio forum, hondagx35 (his name is Frank), he knows everything and what he don't know I don't need. He may be able to assist. A really, really nice guy he is. If you want to drop my name, rastus, you can (he'll know me). So you got the Audiophonics case? Cool! Precisely which 7" Pi screen? A link to where you bought it would be nice, been thinking of something like this myself.

From the RuneAudio forum...

http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/raspberry-pi-f7.html

A guy by the nicname "thedman!" did this using "the official 7" raspberry pi screen"....

http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/mausberry-switch-script-t3366-20.html#p15131

IMG_2651.JPG

IMG_2688.JPG

Note: Yes, that IS a bullet casing, and an on/off button.

The screen used above can be found here...

The Eagerly Awaited Raspberry Pi Display

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/the-eagerly-awaited-raspberry-pi-display/

Some other ideas here...

DIY and tweaks

http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/diy-and-tweaks-f16.html

I like these two....

Small media player with squeezelite/slave

https://support.hifiberry.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/201843381-Small-media-player-with-squeezelite-slave

squeezepi06.jpg

squeezepi3_1.jpg

Edited by rastus
  • Like 1

No problems brother, do what you have to do... don't let me, or anyone else, try to change your mind. But when you decide the headache IS worth it, just so you know, I'm right now, this very minute, running RuneAudio on my Raspberry Pi 2B (ARMv7 processor) with.... Spotify support. See ya when ya come back brother.

Changelog: 0.3-beta (29/10/2014)

• Spotify Premium integration through spop
  • Made switch between MPD and Spotify almost seamless

http://www.runeaudio.com/changelog/

Note: From the RuneAudio UI.... "Enable Spotify client [EXPERIMENTAL]. You must have a Spotify PREMIUM account."

Note: Others have got it working.

Curse you! You, you.... !!!! * deep breath *

Thanks for the useful information, might not be all out after all... :D

• Like 1

@@rastus, that screen in the plinth is bloody nice. But it flys in the face of what I'm trying to do. I want the world in the palm of my hand (remind you of a song). For me sitting in my comfy longe chair with my moby pick'n toons, reading the good info. popping up on the screen, puts me and my music right where I want both of us. And to know there is a little silicon tyrant doing all the hard work for me for almost zero cost in parts and a small carbon footprint tells me this IS the future of music storage and control.

But I do like the screen. Bugger!

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 1

@@rastus, that screen in the plinth is bloody nice. But it flys in the face of what I'm trying to do. I want the world in the palm of my hand (remind you of a song). For me sitting in my comfy longe chair with my moby pick'n toons, reading the good info. popping up on the screen, puts me and my music right where I want both of us. And to know there is a little silicon tyrant doing all the hard work for me for almost zero cost in parts and a small carbon footprint tells me this IS the future of music storage and control.

But I do like the screen. Bugger!

Yes. Oh. Of course you do, don't we all. Yes it does, and I do believe (by faith) that he has too. LoL, tunes is tunes brother. Why not go the whole hog, as it were, and get a battery (why do I ask) and a GOOD pair of headphones, that way you can take your Pi and eat it with you (wherever you are). Does that make sense?!?! LoL! Really... not a little mouse on a treadmill? (Picturing you with whip in hand!) I think it's the 'outcome' or byproduct (of what already 'is') of music storage and control (and playback), not the future of.... or was that supposed to be the telecommunications device (smarty-phone) we all have?!?! Bugger the big screen.... you have a small screen, no? Yes?

Continued rant.... ....finally technology maybe working for us and not against us. More for less (remind you of a car add).

Or, finally technology has finally got YOU working, for it. Or, maybe you were working 'against' the technology when you didn't know how to use the said technology. Reminds me of a saying once told to me, "Ignore the technology and the technology will ignore you!" Either way, you put in the work... to get the technology to work for you. I don't know, now I'm all befuzzled! Anyway, BE PROUD of your accomplishments brother... for you have accomplished much, very much. And how much more have you got to come? Do not stop updating us, I mean that with all sincerity brother.

Edited by rastus

@@rastus, well just for you. I found Rune\Pi3 plays iTunes apple lossless - ALC - but will not play AAC. Anyone else had similar experience? What's worse Switch, my file converter, won't read AAC to convert it to anything.

Three steps forward, one step back.