Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server - 4 weeks in. The Verdict!

The Sony HAP-Z1ES - 4 weeks in!

Here's a little review of my experiences with the Sony HAP-Z1ES and why for me, this product has pretty much replaced the CD player at my house. But first, a little background on how this product came to be a purchase for me.

I was over in Melbourne for a work-related event a couple of months ago. Great event, and after the night had wrapped, I had noticed the Sony in a demo room hooked up to a Luxman integrated and a set of Vienna Acoustic Haydn bookshelf speakers. Immediately grabbed my attention, and it was only playing low volume 320Kbps audio. I was always aware of the Sony, but never really gave it much thought, as my streaming/DAC solution 'worked' for me, and serious music listening at home involved playing the CD or some vinyl. But I did some research, and every review from much-admired publications universally praised its abilities at being a true digital music replacement for CD. Of course while the desire to buy one increased, SWMBO approval was always going to be stretched, so I needed to come up with a valid "reason" for the purchase. I also needed some real sit-down time with a unit to see if it really was a long-term solution or just a short term affair. A few days with one finally made the decision easy, I had to have one! After I sold the missus on the convenience of all our music in a single location that didnt need any computers running, she agreed.

So I've owned the unit now for about 4 weeks - let's get the things I dont like or the frustrations out of the way first:-

1. It only comes in Silver!! My entire system is black, so to have this thing stand out is annoying (Ok maybe that is the point, but a colour choice would've been nice). A re-jig of the gear in my cabinet will allow this to blend in better and still offer symmetry of colour.

2. A couple of resets were required. This is probably more to do with the learning curve of tagging and metadata and therefore a problem of me rather than the unit. A couple of times the unit "hangs" when quering and downloading metadata after files have been copied over to the internal drive. This in no way affects the playback operation of the unit, but it does add a backlog to the updating, meaning any recently copied over songs cant be processed (artwork, information) until the backlog clears. Deleting the offending files and copying them over again generally fixes the problem, however the two times Ive had to do a factory reset (after 7500 and 5000+ songs copied over!) the offending files just couldnt be found (well, by me anyway). My solution for this is to tag EVERYTHING thoroughly and properly before copying over to the Sony (using .AIFF as this embeds the artwork unlike .WAV when using XLD ripper). So I am now on my third attempt at copying over my entire CD database to the Sony, however I am noticing that by tagging correctly, the Sony spends far less time quering and checking the metadata, which is a good sign, and the files are all tagged correctly with relevant artwork (in a consistent size).

3. A computer is still required for music transfer. This was always evident to me with this product, however the process of re-ripping my entire CD collection uncompressed and copying over has taken me quite some time. Sony recommends copying over batches at a time, and I would concur, however a large CD collection could take some serious time to complete! However, this 'frustration' has become a positive as I'm listening to music I've owned on CD for a long time, but never played for a while, so the experience hasnt been that frustrating. There have been reports that the next firmware update adds the ability to directly plug in a CD-ROM drive to the Sony and rip your content direct (in the file format of your choice). I however do prefer the computer in the mix, as I have been making an exact duplicate of the Sony's internal drive as a backup in the event of a hard drive failure (lets be honest, they dont last forever). The Sony's internal drive is very easy to replace.

So, onto the joys and positives of this machine.

It sounds fantastic, and ultimately I would not have purchased if I didnt feel I was moving forwards in performance, after all, this was a product that I never sought out to begin with. My main sources for physical formats have been my Cyrus CD8SE2 and my ProJect RPM10.1 turntable, which I both enjoy immensely. Up against the Cyrus, I found the Sony lost nothing to the superlative performance of the Cyrus. Sure, a different sound, and with hi-res support (my collection is growing), the Cyrus was starting to show some limitations. I find the Sony has more 'air' around the music, it's more open.

The sound quality extends to a feature that I didnt really think I would use much - internet radio (I generally only listen to internet radio on our bedroom system). My missus listens and enjoys an Australian station, "More Digital", who broadcast online at a lowly 32Kbps. I have NEVER heard a bitrate so low, sound so incredibly good. This is largely thanks to Sony's DSEE processing engine. Since I bought the Sony, I havent touched my record player (still been buying vinyl though).

Convenience.

This unit is a joy to use. The accompanying app is great and incredibly easy to use (unlike some Sony apps I've experienced).Listening to music should be about evoking an emotional response and not about the equipment, but I would also say that when the equipment is "fun" to use, its inclined to make me spend more time listening, which the Sony has. I now have all the music owned by the three of us stored on this unit, even the missus enjoys using the system now when I'm not at home, something she wouldnt ordinarily do in the past. My old streaming solution was convaluted with music being pulled in from everywhere, and not one single app playing the lot. The Sony has done away with this. As the Sony is visible on our network, even our 10 year old can access music stored on it through her Sonos Play 1 (with limitations based on bitrates supprted by Sonos). App response is immediate and I havent experienced any slowdowns (at most I had 7500+ songs on there before a reset). 

The HAP-Z1ES comes with my own personal recommendation, for anyone considering consolidating their physical media onto a unit that is standalone and a dediacted "hifi" product. The lack of so-called important features, such as sunscription-based streaming, network streaming, digital inputs or outputs, does not bother me, but it may for some. I have certainly subscribed to the less-is-more approach that this machine has taken, and most of the professional reviewers seem to concur. It shoots way above its price point, and plays pretty much any file you throw at it. I'll still buy CDs, but for no other reason than to rip and copy over to the Sony (if a hi-res alternative if available I will avoid the CD purchase however).

Home-2_zpscsc7xrqb.jpg
Edited by Hydrology
  • Like 2

Thanks for the review. What issue did you have with tagging the files? Did it choke on filenames which were too long? I'm thinking of getting one of these myself. 

I'm not sure what the reasoning was. I don't think it was long filenames. But basically, copying everything over using XLD Ripper to create .aiff files with the correct artwork has made the 2000+ songs I've put on there over the last two nights much less painful to do. It also means the time the Sony is taking to update the database (it connects to Gracenote itself) is less due to me providing enough correct details to begin with. Because I was  using WAV mostly with XLD, I wasnt aware that XLD couldnt embed the artwork. Using AIFF, it will, which speeds up the time the Sony goes through cataloging each file.

There probably was an easier fix that the factory reset I ended up dooing, but thats just me, I'm OCD! In no way did this "issue' affect the operation of listening to music.

Great to see you are happy with the purchase.

Sorry to hear about the resets. I had no problems transferring my files across. Yeah, it took a while but when done, even the artwork I had to create myself was there. (scanned from the cd covers). I used dbpoweramp to rip to flac.

All the playlists it creates automatically must add a fair bit to the time. As I understand the process, it samples each track to see where to fit it.

The only remaining issues I have is the track data and artwork on the couple of DSD downloads from the 2L site. It just shows the file name of the download.

For anyone thinking of buying one of these, be aware that if you leave the default 'auto transfer' setting as is, it will scream ahead and transfer all your mp3 files in the My Music folder. Easy to delete them but use the manual transfer first up to keep control of the folders to copy. (assuming you don't want mp3 file to be copied in addition to the flac/aiff/wav or whatever format you choose).

• Like 1

Hi Hydrology.

Great review. I will most likely end up with Z1 once I finish ripping all my CDs.

I done the search and asked Sony, but could not get a definite answer.

Do you know if Z1es/HDD app support and read multiple genres tagging.

Say if a album being tag Genres = Classical ; Instrumental ; Western

Will this album appears across in those 3 different genre above?

Thankyou

Hi @@jaydee,

Its not something Ive tried (im not one to use the genre tagging much) however I will copy over an album tonight with multiple genre tags and see if the Sony passes with flying colours or gets stuck.

There is an option within the app to change the data for any stored content however the genre option I believe is limited to one genre tag only.

Will report my findings.

Firmware update a few days ago now adds the ability to plug a CD/DVD-Rom drive directly into the Sony for ripping duties for those not keen and relying on a computer to do the work. You get an option to rip the contents as WAV or FLAC. Also, the unit now supports Gracenote tagging of DSD files.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have now sold my Cyrus CD player so the Sony now is truly my ONLY Digital audio source (I no longer use Apple TV for anything other than US Netflix), partnering with my only analogue source, my RPM10.1.

Edited by Hydrology

• 1 month later...

I've been playing with the smaller HAP-S1 and it's a stellar performer. It's seeing more playtime than my considerable more expensive Bel Canto dac setup.

What i love about the Sony is that it has changed how I listen to my "digital" music. In my previous setup, I found everytime I played the music, my trigger finger got itchy and far too often I would skip half way through a song, even if I loved the song! With the Sony I almost ALWAYS choose the random play, but I NEVER skip any song. 

Bought a ton of vinyl over the Xmas period but still haven't played it, I'm having too much fun with the Sony!

• 8 months later...

Sony updated the firmware to this unit a couple of days, and what an update it is!

Adds support for the Media Server function

Adds support for the USB digital output function (USB hub support for connecting each of one HDD drive, one CD drive, and one USB DAC)

Adds support for Seek operations

Adds support for the Fade In/Out function

Adds the Go to genre/artist/album/folder function to the Options menu

Adds the following operations:

Queuing the track next to the one currently playing, and queuing the track last

Deleting the track from the play queue

Creating a playlist with the play queue

Deleting the playlist

Deleting the track from the playlist

Deleting the information of a disconnected external hard disk drive

Bottom line, the Sony broadcasts itself on your network so any other audio streamer can access the music.

The ability to now go digital out (via USB into USB) is a welcome addition, not interested personally as the on-board dual-DAC config would be better than the DAC in my Cyrus Pre XPd, but for those who refused to purchase based on the non-inclusion of a digital out, you have a different excuse requirement now.

• Like 1

I am really loving my hap-z1es also. My Cd Player has largely been on hiatus for the last 6 months.

i purchased this to use in my headphone setup, but it has pretty much turned into my main source.

Even Spotify sounds pleasant through it. Will update to the new firmware which seems quite extensive over the weekend thanks for the info @Hydrology

Edited by Ray H

57 minutes ago, Ray H said:

I am really loving my hap-z1es also. My Cd Player has largely been on hiatus for the last 6 months.

i purchased this to use in my headphone setup, but it has pretty much turned into my main source.

Even Spotify sounds pleasant through it. Will update to the new firmware which seems quite extensive over the weekend thanks for the info @Hydrology

i love the unit - but I'd never buy one (maybe apart from use in a second system). No digital out is a fatal flaw inmho.

Yes I imagine that put a lot of people of this initially.

How do you know you love it, did you borrow one for demo ?

Good buying at the 2k mark which they were being sold for recently also.

Edited by Ray H

25 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Yes I imagine that put a lot of people of this initially.

How do you know you love it, did you borrow one for demo ?

Good buying at the 2k mark which they were being sold for recently also.

True - but I bought my JLTI Oppo 105D (Level 4.1) for the same price which does the same, but a whole lot more (minus not having the 1TB on-board, but that's not enough for a full music collection anyway)... so on the value piece - it's not as competitive in my view.

I listened to one in store.

Edited by Juicester

53 minutes ago, Juicester said:

i love the unit - but I'd never buy one (maybe apart from use in a second system). No digital out is a fatal flaw inmho.

The new update effectively gives you a digital output, although the quality of the internal DACs are so good that I have never ever felt the lack of a digital output an issue. Others will and can disagree. I seriously considered this at time of purchase and the Cambridge 851N was on the radar also. Ive said it before, i Love the 'one-trick pony" aspect of this player - I dont need  or want it to stream video or play discs.

3 minutes ago, Juicester said:

True - but I bought my JLTI Oppo 105D (Level 4.1) for the same price which does the same, but a whole lot more (minus not having the 1TB on-board, but that's not enough for a full music collection anyway)... so on the value piece - it's not as competitive in my view.

1TB not big enough? Put another HDD inside (a 5 min job) or plug one round the back.

I have about 14,000 tracks installed - all at minimum CD rips with hi-res mingled in there too. A music collection of over 25 years, but I'd love to know what is defined as a "full music collection"?

29 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

The new update effectively gives you a digital output, although the quality of the internal DACs are so good that I have never ever felt the lack of a digital output an issue. Others will and can disagree. I seriously considered this at time of purchase and the Cambridge 851N was on the radar also. Ive said it before, i Love the 'one-trick pony" aspect of this player - I dont need  or want it to stream video or play discs.

1TB not big enough? Put another HDD inside (a 5 min job) or plug one round the back.

I have about 14,000 tracks installed - all at minimum CD rips with hi-res mingled in there too. A music collection of over 25 years, but I'd love to know what is defined as a "full music collection"?

It's great that you're happy. That's the same logic that led me to buy the Oppo - it's bag of tricks was even bigger. 

Some of the features I may not be using, but I was also thinking about how easy it would be to move in the future, and I feel that you'll get slugged badly on the resale of one of those units (not an issue if you keep it forever though!). 

Yes, I've got an external drive plugged in the back of my Oppo at the moment. I dunno, I don't have that many CD's (which is where all my digital music comes from) but my FLAC collection is about 1,2TB at the minute (only a little bit of Hi Res stuff). 

1 hour ago, Juicester said:

Some of the features I may not be using, but I was also thinking about how easy it would be to move in the future, and I feel that you'll get slugged badly on the resale of one of those units (not an issue if you keep it forever though!). 

I think as a whole depreciation of audio gear is just expected and is probably the worst its ever been! I probably would get slugged. I'm confident (if there is such a thing with an audio enthusiast!) that this will serve as my digital front end for many years to come. And if I move onto bigger, better and newer things down the track, I can always "retire" this to one of my secondary systems. In fact, with the new music server option, I guess this almost gives it an extra lease of life within the confines of my home setup, allowing other devices to access its music.

What I am surprised by is Sony's continuing support of this product and its sibling (HAP-S1). Spotify or internet radio has never sounded so good in my home system, and these recent inclusions are welcome. Not bad Sony, considering you released this product over 2 years ago!

Of course, I've been intrigued and drawn to the Lumin players/streamers...

Edited by Hydrology

Just noticed new firmware now available.Seems to add USB digital out so you can now plug the DAC of choice in. May be of interest to those who need this ability.

From Sony USA support -

UPDATE HAP-Z1ES HDD Audio Player Firmware Upgrade Release Date 10/18/2016 Version 18033R File Size 1 Bytes Download

File Description

IMPORTANT: This update is available only by performing a Network Upgrade.

This firmware upgrade (version 18033R) provides the following improvements over version 17384R:

Adds support for the Media Server function

Adds support for the USB digital output function

(USB hub support for connecting each of one HDD drive, one CD drive, and one USB DAC)

Adds support for Seek operations

Adds support for the Fade In/Out function

Adds the Go to genre/artist/album/folder function to the Options menu

Adds the following operations:

Queuing the track next to the one currently playing, and queuing the track last

Deleting the track from the play queue

Creating a playlist with the play queue

Deleting the playlist

Deleting the track from the playlist

Deleting the information of a disconnected external hard disk drive

IMPORTANT: To use the HDD Audio Remote app on your smartphone or tablet you must update the app software using the Google Play™ online store for Android™ devices, or the iTunes® App Store for iOS devices.