probably sold as a head phone amp/dac. I can see many buying this as a dac. what a cool looking thing ! 

HD-DAC1_front_L.pngMarantzHDDAC1o.jpg

MarantzHDDAC1-02w.jpg

where did marantz come up with this from. and reasonably priced :)

http://www.westcoasthificannington.com.au/Products/2-Channel-Audio/DACs/Marantz-HDDAC1.aspx

a review here,

http://www.stereolife.eu/reviews-list/1044-marantz-hd-dac1

and on the us site,

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=hificomponents&ProductId=HDDAC1

• Like 4

Why, why did you post this?

It's absolutely gorgeous and i want it.

But can not afford it.

I tried forgetting all about it, but then you do this to me.....

*sigh*

I may be biased cause i love the brand Marantz, but this is one of the nicest looking dacs around.

Love the wood.

Edit ; also available at addicted to audio http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/marantz-hd-dac1-dac-and-headphone-amplifier?gclid=CPz44but5sMCFRAHvAodAz4AzQ

Edited by Damhooligan
  • Like 1

love the wood too :D

and in silver or black too...so take your pick :)

and not a light weight either weighing in at 5kg, and with encapsulated transformer and motorised alps blue so packed with goodness. I cant believe what they have pulled off for the price. as per the review looks like should cost twice what it does ! 

Why, why did you post this?

It's absolutely gorgeous and i want it.

But can not afford it.

I tried forgetting all about it, but then you do this to me.....

*sigh*

I may be biased cause i love the brand Marantz, but this is one of the nicest looking dacs around.

Love the wood.

hehe you mean you've known about this thing and been keeping it a secret from us ! 

hey I cant afford it right now either...but no harm in drooling :D

• Like 1

hehe you mean you've known about this thing and been keeping it a secret from us ! 

hey I cant afford it right now either...but no harm in drooling :D

I can't remember when i saw it.

I didn't realise at the time it was new, i strangely assumed ;offcourse Marantz has a dac....

And offcourse it looks good..

I think my brain automatically blocked it from my memories to protect me..

• Like 1

http://www.westcoasthificannington.com.au/Products/Blu-Ray/Marantz-UD7007.aspx

The bluray with XLR output is also on sale. Some of the Marantz range are impressive in terms of SQ, something I did head to head when buying the OPPO105, the Marantz represented to me better to my ears, far more clarity than the OPPO 105, but the Marrantz model then didn't have the flexibility as the OPPO 105. If I had the choice today it would be a different decision....

I have had one for about 6 week snow, I privately imported one from Japan and use with a little step down. Cost me about $850 landed. 

With the right cans, it is a stunning bit of kit. Built like a tank, and sounds wonderful. DSD in particular is a stand out. 

It is hard to go wrong with Marantz. 

Edited by Tom.Stopforth
  • Like 3

I have had one for about 6 week snow, I privately imported one from Japan and use with a little step down. Cost me about $850 landed.

With the right cans, it is a stunning bit of kit. Built like a tank, and sounds wonderful. DSD in particular is a stand out.

It is hard to go wrong with Marantz.

Andrew,

have you tried the DAC in your system? I'm planning to replace my Schitt Bifrost (Uber) and the HD DAC1 is a serious contender. The few reviews that I have been able to find focus on the head amp capabilities. I need a new head amp, so this unit ticks that box; however, it's the DAC performance that eludes me. Of course I could just buy it and find out for myself - after all, how could anything that looks this good not sound great :)

Edited by Station

I've not plugged it into my main system - or should I say I did but it didn't play nicely with my current power amp (a Crown XLS 1500) which prefers a balanced input. The output was emasculated (a trait shared with all rca connections to my Crown). I use my Teac UD 301 balanced into the Crown at the current time.

I have a Naksa 70 turning up today or tomorrow and will try it with that.

I have no reason to believe it would be anything other than stellar. I am very impressed with it as a head amp /dac. 

That said, I really like the Bifrost. They are super. It certainly is in the same vein. 

I pretty sure the sides are plastic and not wood.... 

Marantz call them "retro-style wooden side panels" 

Or in plain english.... plastic panels which are made to look like wood! ;)  

Nice headphone amp/dac though........

oh well….I guess for wood tragics like me it then just leaves the door open to make a couple of lovely cheeks of choice and bolt on either side :D

• Like 1

Tony

I have the HD Dac 1 hooked up for a couple nights now as a pre/dac into the Naksa 70. It sounds lovely. Not the last word in any thing but very capable and frankly for around $850 landed, is exceedingly competent. Remote is a bonus.

I like it - smoother than the Teac, but also more refined. It's nice having both. 

Cheers

• Like 2

Tony

I have the HD Dac 1 hooked up for a couple nights now as a pre/dac into the Naksa 70. It sounds lovely. Not the last word in any thing but very capable and frankly for around $850 landed, is exceedingly competent. Remote is a bonus.

I like it - smoother than the Teac, but also more refined. It's nice having both.

Cheers

Thanks Andrew.

Good to know. I'll order one in the next couple of days.

Edited by Station

saw one at addicted to audio today, actually quite a cute smallish form factor thing. looks really stylish in the silver i must say. and good to see it is available in silver not just the black only we tend to usually get consigned with by marantz in this market :)

saw one at addicted to audio today, actually quite a cute smallish form factor thing. looks really stylish in the silver i must say. and good to see it is available in silver not just the black only we tend to usually get consigned with by marantz in this market :)

Al, I checked with A2A this afternoon re the availabilty of a silver unit - order goes in tomorrow.

• Like 1

The silver look on the latest Marantz series just does it for me, it's a timeless beauty. Put this one beside a HTPC for streaming, wow, what a great looking kit!

Damn! I already told my wife a wanted a new bike for my birthday... how do I sneak this one in?

EDIT: Wife has approved! "Looks very nice and it fits with the existing components". Must make a note for Christmas the latest!

Edited by betocool
  • Like 2

I'll be picking up one next week in silver.  :cool:

For me...

An AES input would have been nice so I could use my yellowtec usb to aes converter. 

http://2channelaudio.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/yellowtec-puc2-lite-usb-to-aesspdif.html

Like the more expensive Fostex HP-A8.... 

CONS

I believe inserting a headphone jack does not cut signal to the RCA outputs and vice versa.

A bit of a pain for listeners who utilise the RCA outputs to feed active monitors.... 

Clearly an oversight.......?!

Additionally it has been reported on other review sites the HD-Dac1 drops digital sync/lock between tracks - Can any owners confirm this? 

Cheers 

Edited by EVITCA

I've decided to flick mine - I prefer my Teac UD 301 XLR into my Crown XLS 1500 than the Marantz into my Naksa 70 (the combo is too soft for my tastes).

And I want to try a DAP with my IEM's...so if anyone wants an almost new one drop me a PM. It'll be up in the classifieds in a  sec...   Now listed!http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/78612-marantz-hd-dac-1-dsd-dac-head-amp/

Edited by Tom.Stopforth