WTB: Road bicycle. Medium ~$1000. (VIC)

I've thought about it and would probably start out doing just that.   Maybe 10km for a start.    But,  I live close to city and further out.  I'd want to ride where I get held up the most by traffic,  which is near home so I'dneed to leave my car somewhere between home and work.   But then if it was p1ssing down in the morning I'd have no option to drive! 

Also thought about the bike/train combo.   7km from home to station  & 5km from station to work.    So 12km v's about 32km.     worth considering,  but not sure it'd save me much time 

I rode for quite a few years in job before last that was inner city and I live out in the burbs... for years I put off riding because of lack of bike path all the way and also the distance ...so used to spend anything upto hour and a half each way in peak hour ! 

finally realised I could do the half drive and ride the rest thing...bought a thule quick release tow bar bike carrier. carry the bike on the back of the car. park the car 10kms from work where the bike path start and about where the traffic jams start. bike on and off in a flash and I was riding into work bypassing all the traffic. I also swapped my hours a little so would start a bit earlier and leave work a bit earlier which missed more of the traffic. I actually saved myself 30-60 mins a day travel time ! and improved my health at it.

my wife these days parks her bike at daughters school. drives the car there to drop daughter off. leaves the car and rides the bike to work and back end of the day when  she picks up the daughter and drives home.

re the weather...its a punt one way or the other...have to have the commitment to ride regardless of weather...or pick the dry days if rain shy :)

Legs eleven, yeah inline levers can be good especially when doing longer distances. I wasn't knocking your preferred position, just pointing out everybody has different preferences. I may not sit as high but have front and rear lights on my helmet (when in commuter mode) and think that gets me noticed well even in daylight hours

It's all good. The more perspectives from members the better for the OP to consider what suits them.

@  al  To me 20 or so k's round trip is the ideal distance if you're not a morning person like me. For several years I commuted into the city from Coburg Nth and it was just the right distance to wake me up and feel good at work. You actually miss it if you have to skip a day.

In winter the thought of the cold and wet was annoying sometimes but not as much as the hassles of walking to train/tram stop for a packed tram and then more walking to work. Cycle to work took 25-30mins depending on mood. Almost twice as fast as PT. Plus I could ride home along the Kew boulevard if I was feeling energetic or needed a distraction.

I have a red Kennedy Al frame road bike with carbon forks and a Centaur 30speed groupset and Campy wheels that I don't use. It's the right size for you.

One of his off the shelf custom frames? :P

~

@  al  To me 20 or so k's round trip is the ideal distance if you're not a morning person like me. For several years I commuted into the city from Coburg Nth and it was just the right distance to wake me up and feel good at work. You actually miss it if you have to skip a day.

In winter the thought of the cold and wet was annoying sometimes but not as much as the hassles of walking to train/tram stop for a packed tram and then more walking to work. Cycle to work took 25-30mins depending on mood. Almost twice as fast as PT. Plus I could ride home along the Kew boulevard if I was feeling energetic or needed a distraction.

legs eleven, yep work is about 10 km from home and the 20km round trip on the bike is what I do these days. 30 min ride in the morning and 30min back home, which is just perfect. gets metabolism going and a bit of exercise everyday to keep the weight away :)

I do try to ride most days, work and family commitments though try their best to get in the way. weather doesnt help as well ! Wifes been crook this week and with variable weather been doing kids picks up so one day or riding this week. your right I definitely miss it ! 

ps rather than a road bike, I just got a hybrid myself, which I think suits better the kind of terrain I cover in paths, trails etc :)

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/57031-hybrid-bicycles

Yes, he looked at the commonest geometries that he was ordering and just built a whole lot extra in advance.

Look I reckon the bikes themselves are fine but he is one of the biggest con merchants out there. If the bikes were really custom you wouldn't need 35mm set back seat posts and 5 spacers under a stem pointing to the sky... The frame geometry should make up for those requirements.

My wife went to him, and I told him straight out I thought it was Q angle giving her knee problems as I'd gone over the new flat bar roadie back then with a tape measure comparing to her previous bike. After spending hundreds on extreme fitting seat posts and stems etc, 1 small screw washer under one side of one cleat was what fixed her issue...

It's a strange black art, but his bike fits have been great for my wife and I with 4 bikes but I'm sure that he doesn't get it right all the time.

I'm not talking so much about the "Kennedy fit" which is always very upright. Just the rubbish that his bikes are customised to you and you should pay extra for them. There are plenty of people making custom frames in Victoria still. I've lusted after a Ti Baum for years, they never have any special parts required, the frame is built to you, not the accessories.

legs eleven, yep work is about 10 km from home and the 20km round trip on the bike is what I do these days. 30 min ride in the morning and 30min back home, which is just perfect. gets metabolism going and a bit of exercise everyday to keep the weight away :)

I do try to ride most days, work and family commitments though try their best to get in the way. weather doesnt help as well ! Wifes been crook this week and with variable weather been doing kids picks up so one day or riding this week. your right I definitely miss it ! 

ps rather than a road bike, I just got a hybrid myself, which I think suits better the kind of terrain I cover in paths, trails etc :)

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/57031-hybrid-bicycles

Nice bike, I like bikes that do what they're designed for. If I was more into speedy riding I'd go for a light road bike of some sort but my main bike is the nerdiest looking boat anchor I've ever seen. But it's funny how you can love em without question. I'm definitely more pack horse than race horse so it suits me.

post-105533-0-38137700-1396598905_thumb.

Edited by legselevens
  • Like 1

definitely looks like can be loaded up ! yep mines more for everyday use rather than out right speed.

I was tempted by getting a speedier road bike or more of a city bike but realised my use tends to be more paths and trails so a hybrid style which had been using 10 years prior more up my alley :)

+1 for a touring bike with panniers.

Backpacks are annoying over longer distances, absorbing sweat into the bag, filling up with rain, getting hot in summer, pulling on your shoulders.

Hi Peacewise,

I just saw your post after putting in mine. So I liked you. :thumb:

definitely looks like can be loaded up ! yep mines more for everyday use rather than out right speed.

I was tempted by getting a speedier road bike or more of a city bike but realised my use tends to be more paths and trails so a hybrid style which had been using 10 years prior more up my alley :)

It certainly holds a load!

Tyre selection can add a reasonable degree of flexibility...... have we gone off the OP's path a bit on this thread?

Edited by legselevens

... have we gone off the OP's path a bit on this thread?

just checking in guys.   been a busy day at work and home so no time to read much yet.   will get around to replies soon.    

Don't heistate to go off the path of the thread. I'm open to all suggestions that will help me make the best decision.    I'm also checking the 'tree, 'bay and other sources for bikes so no worried if I get more advice than actual offers here.

this thread probably could have gone in Chill Out,  but killing two birds with one stone here.

cheers

Edited by manchu

Touring/CX bikes are just as fast as a roadie unless it's a very hilly commute. They are built tougher so a bit heavier, but can be fitted just as aggressively as a road bike, the changes are quite subtle. this is my CX commuter

I think I'm sold on the idea of this type of bike.    I've pretty much just ridden bmx and mountain bikes (6km each way commute for most of high school and uni...15 yrs ago) so I know I have a tendency to be reasonably tough on a bike,  and would probably miss not being able to.    

I definitely still want something fast though so would lean more towards speed than 'off road' ability.  I'll still have my mountain bike if I want to get muddy on the weekends.     

I'd probably want to be able to strap a baby seat on occasionally...not for the commute.

I think I'm sold on the idea of this type of bike.    I've pretty much just ridden bmx and mountain bikes (6km each way commute for most of high school and uni...15 yrs ago) so I know I have a tendency to be reasonably tough on a bike,  and would probably miss not being able to.    

I definitely still want something fast though so would lean more towards speed than 'off road' ability.  I'll still have my mountain bike if I want to get muddy on the weekends.     

I'd probably want to be able to strap a baby seat on occasionally...not for the commute.

Hi Manchu, Did you look at the 1st ebay link I put in post# 20?  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Trek-Crossrip-Elite-Bike-2014-58cm-Almost-New-/271439046633?pt=AU_Cycling_New_&hash=item3f330727e9&clk_rvr_id=614292073922

It's a 2014 CX similar to blybo's ride and looks well specced too. No doubt price is negotiable and best size measurement for a bike is that you don't nut yourself on the top tube when standing flat footed over the bike. The rest is how upright you want ot sit and there are small inexpensive adjustments to be had in tweaking these areas too. Don't be put off by the 58 cm size if it's not difficult for you to check it out in person.

The condition looks spot on and it has eyelet/mounting points for mudguards, rear and front racks plus seat for bubs if needed. And from what I saw on trek website it also has the inline cross top brake levers as standard.

It's only a mistake if you do it twice.

Hmmm, Hope you didn't buy it. Just looked at the geometry and the 58 has a 59.3cm reach compared to the 54 having 54.8. I ride a 54cm frame from Cervelo and couldn't ride any bigger. I'm a Collingwood 6 footer, ie 182cm first thing in the morning. As I've ridden more I have become more flexible despite putting weight on, I recently went to a 120mm stem and prefer the feel to a 110mm as most bikes come standard with.

The Trek does look to be a good bike, as do plenty of others these days. Without going into too much geometry technobaffle, You are going to want an effective top tube of around 54.0-55.5 and obviously a stand over height you can deal with.

Keep an eye out for Boardman CX bikes in a small or medium size, they were awesome value when Wiggle sold them on line around the 1k new, but I believe one of the big Aussie retailers put an end to that.

Edited by blybo

I'm 5'11" and ride a 54 cm road bike to work 4-5 days a week with packed lunch and shirt/pants as required. It's just under 30km round trip, around 140 km per week on average.

My backpack is a cheap Camelback style bag from Anaconda with the bladder removed, it has ventilated (mesh) shoulder straps and elastic straps on the outside of the bag which I can strap trousers etc under. Very comfy, would happily be able to take it on a 70 km ride with no dramas.

Cheers!

SS

• Like 1

Hmmm, Hope you didn't buy it. Just looked at the geometry and the 58 has a 59.3cm reach compared to the 54 having 54.8. I ride a 54cm frame from Cervelo and couldn't ride any bigger. I'm a Collingwood 6 footer, ie 182cm first thing in the morning. As I've ridden more I have become more flexible despite putting weight on, I recently went to a 120mm stem and prefer the feel to a 110mm as most bikes come standard with.

The Trek does look to be a good bike, as do plenty of others these days. Without going into too much geometry technobaffle, You are going to want an effective top tube of around 54.0-55.5 and obviously a stand over height you can deal with.

Keep an eye out for Boardman CX bikes in a small or medium size, they were awesome value when Wiggle sold them on line around the 1k new, but I believe one of the big Aussie retailers put an end to that.

No,  didn't buy it.     Thanks for the tips.

Another detail that's not been mentioned is the vast improvement to performance and overall fitness that a $120+ bidon cage can make. I also suggest you book in with the Australian Institute of Sport for a precise fitting session.

Humorous attempts aside, this guy is hard to beat for good info on anything related to cycling and cuts through the BS. Here's his view on fit/sizing

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html

Another detail that's not been mentioned is the vast improvement to performance and overall fitness that a $120+ bidon cage can make. I also suggest you book in with the Australian Institute of Sport for a precise fitting session.

Humorous attempts aside, this guy is hard to beat for good info on anything related to cycling and cuts through the BS. Here's his view on fit/sizing

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html

Sheldon passed away about 18 months ago I recall, but yes the website is a great source of information.