Zammo's Man Cave

Starting to down some money for equipment for the cave now. This is the fun bit. So far on order:

SGR MT3.2's (stereo, and front L+R for HT)

MSB Signature DAC 4+ with Signature passive attenuator and Signature power base. (DAC and pre-amp duties)

SGR MusicKube. (stereo transport)

SGR racks (3 shelves)

Two rows of four IMG Divani electric HT seats.

Soon to be ordered:

Oppo 103 (HT & surround SACD transport)

JVC DLA-X700 & ozts 130" cinemascope screen.

Pre-pro - ?Integra DHC 80.3 or Marantz AV8802 (depending on cost when it lands and my desire to run Dolby Atmos)

Room treatments - two RK2 kits from sound acoustics, and 900mm corner traps from theloudspeakerkit.

To come later (all from SGR):

Wall mounted surround speakers (side & rear)

Centre speaker

Two ?18" subs.

Should keep the wallet empty, the bank manager frantic, the wife outraged and me in the dog shed (which we don't even have) for the next year or so....

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Oh but the joy of sitting in the theatre room with no food or clothes while watching your favourite movie makes it all worthwhile haha

No clothes, sure, but I usually get peckish during a long movie. Just need to be careful with hot buttered popcorn when naked. :)

• Like 2

We have power! Just the LED downlights in at the moment. Side wall up lights were originally a light grey, but we've sent them off for powder coating in black, as they would have stood out like dog's balls when projector on.

88530e6419948ef5a1000c69623ff977.jpg

23d6ef4e66a2e4046bbb556aa90f5cd2.jpg

• Like 3

there was light...

excellnet to see progress zammo…now you just need a camera upgrade so we can see pics doing your room justice :D

I should dust off the Canon DSLR (EOS 40D). Has a beautiful lens (EFS 17-55 f2.8). Bloody iPhone useless in the dark. :(

Edited by Zammo
  • Like 1

I should dust off the Canon DSLR (EOS 40D). Has a beautiful lens (EFS 17-55 f2.8). Bloody iPhone useless in the dark. :(

oh yeah, thats a combo I once had. excellent lens indeed with the 40D DSLR that should do it…can forget the iphone :D  

Looks good.

Do you know how many lumens of illumination you have, from the ceiling LEDs?

No idea. Not particularly light in there with all nine on, but then with the dark walls/carpet, non reflectivity is kind of the point. Side wall up lights will be considerably brighter than the LEDs, but it is still not going to be a super bright room with all lights on.

Uplights in, and glad we went with the black powdercoat - they look great. They're 100W linear halogens and they seriously brighten up the room. The ceiling is same colour/tone as the walls, but the uplights make it look light grey.

354deee3743334ec6c692c9e650411cd.jpg

655738c14148741f0f483efa4f674226.jpg

Edited by Zammo
  • Like 3

Don't have it yet Gee Emm, so no insight on sound. Lots of info on the SGR website. Will be connected to MSB DAC via USB which can run at up to 24 bit 384Khz, as my signature DAC has the USB2 upgrade. Can also run DSD 128. 1 TB SSD, and will also connect up to my NAS drive once I get it sorted. I'm initially just getting the basic transport, with options to upgrade the drive and power supply later if required.

Edited by Zammo

Bit of a hurdle on site today. Front left and right speaker balanced interconnects (from rear of room where equipment is) are too short to allow free placement of the MT3.2's. Unsure if they were simply cut too short initially, or if they have become tangled behind plasterboard when it when in. AV subcontractor spent considerable time yesterday trying to free up cable from the small plaster cut where the plate has gone with no success.

Stuart from SGR to the rescue with a brilliant solution. We are going to terminate the left and right interconnects to male balanced face plates at the wall, and use additional interconnects from these for HT duties only. Move the MusicKube and MSB DAC to the front of the room, and connect new interconnects directly from the DAC to the MT3.2s. Advantage is removes any possibility of interference in the long run of cable for 2-channel duties, and allows me the option to try different interconnects in the future if I desire (which is not possible with the in-wall runs of cable). In wall runs will now be purely for HT.

Edited by Zammo

Bit of a hurdle on site today. Front left and right speaker balanced interconnects (from rear of room where equipment is) are too short to allow free placement of the MT3.2's. Unsure if they were simply cut too short initially, or if they have become tangled behind plasterboard when it when in. AV subcontractor spent considerable time yesterday trying to free up cable from the small plaster cut where the plate has gone with no success.

Stuart from SGR to the rescue with a brilliant solution. We are going to terminate the left and right interconnects to male balanced face plates at the wall, and use additional interconnects from these for HT duties only. Move the MusicKube and MSB DAC to the front of the room, and connect new interconnects directly from the DAC to the MT3.2s. Advantage is removes any possibility of interference in the long run of cable for 2-channel duties, and allows me the option to try different interconnects in the future if I desire (which is not possible with the in-wall runs of cable). In wall runs will now be purely for HT.

Stuart + Brilliant...not an uncommon thing.

Good to hear

M

• Like 2

Looking absolutely sensational, can't wait for the finished product....

Well done mate :)

Thanks Samman.

Projector and screen likely to go in next week. HT seating delivered in two weeks. 2-channel gear and racks to follow soon after. Surround speakers and subs may be a few months off as these are custom builds from Stuart at SGR. Not entirely sure what we're doing with subs yet, but side and rear surrounds likely to be switchable dipole/direct.

Ahhhh....more fun in the man cave with setbacks. AV subcontractor called yesterday to say they couldn't mount projector, as they were unaware we were using resilient clips to mount the ceiling plaster. Created a 30mm gap from plaster to the ceiling trusses, so not possible to screw peerless projector mount through plaster. Considering they wired the HDMI & ethernet cables to the point of mounting, I would have thought it would be bloody obvious to ask how the projector was being mounted, but there you go. Problem of trying to do the design yourself and not hiring a professional to advise all trades as work goes along. Site manager was p!ssed off as well.

So plaster cut, peerless mount screwed directly into ceiling truss and plaster patch placed back around mount with cutout for shaft. Will actually look better than the base of the mount and bare screws. Will require repainting or some other solution for good aesthetic outcome. Maybe a ceiling acoustic panel with small cutout to fit around mount shaft.

Projector screen has arrived and wall brackets have been screwed in. Just need to put it together on the weekend then mount it (just hangs like a picture frame). IMG arriving next Wednesday to install seats. We move in on the 20th Feb.

Edited by Zammo
  • Like 2