white or grey screen?

Just about to purchase a 130" fixed screen. Projector is Epson EH-TW7100- throw distance will be 3.8m

Dedicated theater room- 4600w x 4300d x 2700h. Dark colored walls, ceiling, seating and furniture.

2400wx600h high mount window- Will have at least dark sheer curtains across whole wall, but can have heavy curtains if needed. light should be well controlled in the end.

Most viewing will be when dark anyway, except in daylight saving time.

Grey screens boast excellent contrast with some ambient light present. White seems to be recommended when room light is well controlled.

Anyone use a grey screen, and can tell me their experience?

thanks all.

Scott

media room.PNG

grey screens were needed back in day when contrast from projectors were so poor !  keep in mind a grey screen means you can never ever do pure white 

keep in mind if most of viewing as you say in dark anyways then why give up ability to do whites ? 

with some light control as you seem to be able to achieve.. keep in mind the number one thing that kills contrast on a screen is light directly on screen...forget about a grey screen nothing can out shine daylight on a screen 🙂

also keep in mind if can keep direct light away from a screen even some ambient light in a room is a non concern...

our room is surrounded by windows and we have block out curtains with pelmets that will mean cant see hand in front of your face even in daylight if the curtains are closed. 

however here are times we do run some ambient light in the room.

an epson and here's an old one 9000/9200 and see how well this copes with ambient light in the room ! 

this is like a big plasma and with two lamps behind the line of the screen one too left will see and one to right. in this case the project was calibrated to pump out 30FL off screen and in this case screen is a 1.1 flat white screen technics....

IMG_3442.thumb.JPG.f51033e5207939b257caeab0580b05ef.JPG

my suggestion is you will be surprised if can keep light not directly on the screen on how much ambient light you can get away with

we do not as a habit watch material like this .. this was an example in my setup where i hadn't as yet switched off the back lamps and just illustrating the impact...

here's another photo same screen and in this case with just the one ambient light to right with the floor lamp and just before friends were over and we were about to watch eurovision.... with the friends over ... i left the light on in the room... as its more of a social setting than complete black out :D  and we cant see each other even. 

this is the same screen technics gain 1.1 flat white screen and projector in this case is a JVC whcih does have far more contrast up sleeve than the older epson in previous shot...

IMG_2082.thumb.JPG.9a4df53ebf82ce76471fbc55e51da6d5.JPG

• Like 2

here's another example... here watching the cricket.. here i have all the block out blinds in the room shut... but behind the room i have a couple of doors one opening to open plan kitchen dining and other to a light filled staircase with a huge window.. so ambient light in the room... but again its indirect light.. not light directly on screen...

these are a few screen shots so can see whats possible ....  just during day time when i might not want to be sitting in the dark watching sport...car racing cricket and such..

this is again with screen technics 1.1 gain flat white screen and JVC ....with a lot more contrast up sleeve than epson but will give an idea whats possible with a bit of ambient light in the room ...for non critical viewing... for movies i would still go for the full block out ....closing all the blinds 🙂

025A1504.thumb.JPG.73b46da99520712c5cc33acfd7b9f688.JPG

025A1510.thumb.JPG.e1948b6d1f964d2c5e485144b8405f7e.JPG

025A1519.thumb.JPG.23607cebacce9e591a1f03e7e35f1678.JPG

025A1522.thumb.JPG.048e00bffc8c7b33223e630298a70b02.JPG

Edited by betty boop

2 hours ago, fordriver1 said:

2400wx600h high mount window

for something like this ... i would invest in a screenaway block out blind.. will give you 100% block out whcih can manually slide shut or even have motorised if want...

I have two of these on either side of door opening into my room... 100% block out and local product. someone will come measure up. gets factory made in SA and installed few weeks later...

Edited by betty boop
  • Like 2