Vac Valve Amplifiers & that most ancient of enemies....Dust!

Hi guys

How do you all cope with those fragile glowing beauties when dusting.  My house post flood isn’t the best exampke for sure but having to do a clean up b4 guests arrived I noticed an excessive amount of dust on all my stereo components and that got me wondering how y’all deal with it yourselves.  A closed cabinet is not an option here on the far north coast.  To use it I need open air and a ceiling fan anytime outside the two weeks of winter we get.  Or is it even a problem given the heat valves generate which probably burns dust off?

Be Well

👍

Edited by EddieT

A simple regular wipe with a soft cotton cloth while they are cold.

Edit: keep oil from fingers off the glass of output tubes.

Mines probably the more difficult to dust than most, but I get by 🤣

I use an artist brush and can of compressed air every 12 months, but just wipe the tubes with a dry cotton cloth every 6 months or so.

IMG_20230304_155812_610.jpg.64d5454d83657bd0561b8eab4a13e89f.jpg

Edited by muon*
  • Like 4

Bunnings for soft long bristle short width paint brushes. Use these to brush off the dust. Clean under tap water and dry, and reuse. Woollies, Coles or local supermarket or chemist for a bottle of metho and roll of soft Viva paper towels. Use paper towels dipped in metho to clean the glass envelopes on the tubes. Be careful not to use the metho over the printed, labelled or etched code tube areas. You can use the paper towels dipped in tap water instead for these areas.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replys

I havent been able to post due to a problem with my old iPad (I think) collapsing the reply field.

I got a soft artist brush to do it. seems to work pretty good.

BY THE WAY anyone go so far as to say that they can hear a difference after removing dust?

• 7 months later...