Speaker Isolation Feet on Carpet

The consensus seems to be that attaching isolation feet like Isoacoustics to speakers, improves the sound.

But would there still be a benefit of using these isolation feet, if the speakers are placed on carpeted, concrete floor?.

6 hours ago, Jaykobe said:

The consensus seems to be that attaching isolation feet like Isoacoustics to speakers, improves the sound.

But would there still be a benefit of using these isolation feet, if the speakers are placed on carpeted, concrete floor?.

https://isoacoustics.com/home-audio-isolation-products/gaia-carpet-disks/

• Like 1

I just fitted Herbies giant gliders to my Tannoy Monitor Gold stands, and not only does it make the big lumps easy to push around (the speaker and stand are close to 100kg) it has really cleaned up the bass.

I was a bit leery of all the claims on the website, but they actually work. My floor is concrete slab with underlay and carpet.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Jaykobe said:

The IsoAcoustics Gaia made a definite improvement with my speakers. Since the carpet and underlay are thin and the speakers heavy (130kg each) they told me I didn't need the carpet disks.

• Like 1

i got benefits with my 30kg floor standers on a carpet over concrete 

i have them each on a 1-in timber slab which in turn is on spikes

it's not a massive nigh and day compared to spiking the speakers - but that bit more balanced with additional clarity and crispness across the freq range

• Like 1

The link to the product shows many pointed feet, which would poke through the carpet to the floor beneath and be effectively similar to singular spiked feet on a hard floor commonly used to decouple or minimise surface contact with the floor. If correct then the carpet should not make any difference other than sound absorption (sound from drivers travelling in the air).

On 11/10/2022 at 12:47 AM, Jaykobe said:

Yes.

Spikes (cones actually) through the carpet into the concrete below were a fundamental change for the better for me. 

They added stability /rigidity to the speakers which in my case are very tall, wide and thin with completely useless small ' T feet'.  They just floated/wobbled on the carpet, destroying any imaging,  Images snapped into focus afterwards. 

Nothing above the carpet was at all useful in my situation, so therefore, like everything in life "it depends".

Assuming that vibration in a hi-fi set-up is similar to (or the same as) the physics of a sprung mass, then the mass, spring rate, frequency of vibration, and damping are all interrelated, and getting maximally beneficial results would be a very complex task.

my floor has always been concrete, but the sound of my Proac DT8's was dramatically cleaned up with Isoacoustics Gaia 3's. The image separation is more apparent, while microdetails are more easily discernable. 

• Like 1

Isoacoustics point out that it's not just about isolation but control of frequencies too. So, while carpet isolates, it may not manage the frequencies at play in a way Isoacoustics claim can be of benefit.

I have carpet over a slab. I've used granite pavers on large cones to pierce the carpet. My speakers then sit on Gaia's on the pavers.

Works very well for me.

A15E52E6-CACE-42B8-AC1C-A48FAD0D691A.thumb.jpeg.37bf8831bf4f54851c93ba067c0e0b3c.jpeg

Edited by Steever
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Steever said:

Isoacoustics point out that it's not just about isolation but control of frequencies too. So, while carpet isolates, it may not manage the frequencies at play in a way Isoacoustics claim can be of benefit.

I have carpet over a slab. I've used granite pavers on large cones to pierce the carpet. My speakers then sit on Gaia's on the pavers.

Works very well for me.

A15E52E6-CACE-42B8-AC1C-A48FAD0D691A.thumb.jpeg.37bf8831bf4f54851c93ba067c0e0b3c.jpeg

So a definite, noticeable improvement over just the spikes going into carpet?

35 minutes ago, Jaykobe said:

So a definite, noticeable improvement over just the spikes going into carpet?

I think so, yes.

Plus, the speakers are more stable. As stable, anyway, as they can be on Gaia's.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a pair of Wilson Benesch Vector Floorstanders and recently fitted some Montaudio Rangitoto Isolation Footers under the spikes. Each footer can handle up to 20kg so the Vectors were easily supported. Have tried Isoacoustic Gaia 111........the Montaudios provide more stable support and improved the quality of bass output and overall sound quality. $399 for 8. Worth checking out.

22mm high with O-rings top and 2 underneath each footer.

IMG_3011.JPG

• Like 1