Pink Floyd - Animals 2018 Remix

mikizee

3 hours ago, DDZIP said:

Yes they have done a stellar job on it. Never really liked the album, so gave it a try got a vinyl copy and yes so much better than the original.

Which vinyl copy did you get? There is a US and Euro press. I am waiting until it is available locally on Amazon so I can return it easily if need be as a lot of people are having problems with their pressings.

pressed in the Netherlands  purchased my copy from JBHIFI

only complaint I have for a relatively expensive single disc they do not use a poly lined inner sleeve. just a plain black one.

Edited by DDZIP

2 hours ago, theMot said:

Which vinyl copy did you get? There is a US and Euro press. I am waiting until it is available locally on Amazon so I can return it easily if need be as a lot of people are having problems with their pressings.

I have run the gauntlet and ordered from Amazon, via Amazon UK. Also available through Amazon US but I figured the Euro press would be better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onthebeach said:

Has anyone listened to the HD Tracks 192/24 yet?

I have an early vinyl version but might grab this digital copy. 

I quite like this album. 

Yes I have and it sounds better than the original, especially the drums. I think it might be the best sounding Pink Floyd release ever.

Dynamics have also been preserved.

https://www.dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/1/year/desc?artist=Pink Floyd&album=Animals

Edited by Satanica
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I received the 180g pressing last night, and chucked it on a turntable in the showroom this morning. It was on for all of 30 seconds before I took it off. This pressing is absolutely f*cked. Quite possibly the most warped record I have ever seen in my life. It's being returned, and I won't be getting another one until a new run is done.

I had been bracing myself for it, the reviews on Discogs have been scathing. 

Sad.

On 18/09/2022 at 1:45 PM, mikizee said:

Went for a walk this morning and had it in the headphones, its bloody stunning

One of the very few albums that didn't get butchered too much the later the release versions got by the compression freaks. Usually later re-mixes are woeful because of what the compression freaks do to them. The best dynamic range out of this lot, is the 1977 vinyl release.

https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/1/year/desc?artist=Pink Floyd&album=Animals

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

18 hours ago, williac said:

Has anyone had a chance to compare the cd to the vinyl?   

There is no reason to think the master of the CD is any different than the streaming services, Hi-Res Downloads and the Bluray disc.

44 minutes ago, Satanica said:

There is no reason to think the master of the CD is any different than the streaming services, Hi-Res Downloads and the Bluray disc.

Your right the "master" is the only source, but it's what they do to them after that makes them so different. Just look at the differences in compression earlier to later used in different issues  of this "one same master", specially with download/streamed versions.

https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/1/year/asc?artist=Elton John&album=Yellow brick road

So yes, there is reason to hear differences.

Like I said earlier with Animals "One of the very few albums that didn't get butchered too much the later the release versions got by the compression freaks.

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

1 hour ago, georgehifi said:

Your right the "master" is the only source, but it's what they do to them after that makes them so different. Just look at the differences in compression earlier to later used in different issues  of this "one same master", specially with download/streamed versions.

https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/1/year/asc?artist=Elton John&album=Yellow brick road

So yes, there is reason to hear differences.

Like I said earlier with Animals "One of the very few albums that didn't get butchered too much the later the release versions got by the compression freaks.

Cheers George

I think you're off topic George.

Regarding the new version of Animals it is a complete remix, not just a remaster so the DR values can't really be compared apples for apples.

Regarding the new version of Animals it is a complete remix, not just a remaster

I didn't say it was a re-master. And not off topic. I was asked what did it sounded like! In the thread I started on it.

https://www.stereonet.com/forums/topic/558505-pink-floyd-animals-remix/?do=findComment&comment=6067602

What I'm saying is with the original master there can be many different issues butchered from it (compressed), as I've shown with Yellow Brick Road

1st releases are "usually" the best and left uncompressed, where with this Animals all are left mostly uncompressed which is highly unusual, with my experience of waving the anti compression flag for years.

That is why I'll say the streamed or downloaded versions of Animals should be fine.

But history shows they (streaming/download companies) usually use the later versions which from experience are the more compressed issue , like the Yellow Brick Road issue history shows.

Cheers George 

Edited by georgehifi

Thanks for thoughts George and Satanica.

In the past I have leaned more towards buying the vinyl if the DR difference was substantial (and in some recent purchases such as the new tears for fears it is quite a difference)- but considering the DR for this release is roughly the same between the two formats I was interested to see if anyone had managed to compare the two.  I like both formats but from what I've read at this stage I'm more likely to grab the CD.  

I'd be more concerned about the pressing quality rather than the DR rating currently... loads of complaints on Discogs of surface noise, warped records.. I am going to wait 6-12 months and hopefully a new pressing run before I buy another copy.

Edited by mikizee

On 04/10/2022 at 5:58 PM, williac said:

I like both formats but from what I've read at this stage I'm more likely to grab the CD.  

@williac

Yeah I think that's a good move, and you'll get far better sound stage image placements with CD's top to bottom channel separation of 120db, instead of vinyl's best around 36db in the mids and deteriorates to around 10db in the highs and fall away to almost mono in the bass,

EG: Lyra Dorian cartridge channel separation curve (lower l&r) and frequency response curve (top).

Cheers George

1931013984_lyradorianchannelseparation-Copy.gif.1d368c62f5879204c4abb4d93c97c69a.gif

Edited by georgehifi