introducing Greg Ball (aka SKA)

SKA

Hi All,

Since I've been a member for over two years it's probably time to introduce myself. :rolleyes: I'm a veteran audio designer who has been designing commercial audio products since the early '70's.

Green out of Uni (B.Sc. Physics/App Maths) and Lecturing Basic Electronics at a Brisbane Technical college, I started as a consultant to MacIntosh Electronics in Brisbane designing the circuitry for their broadcast mixers which were in ABC studios throught Australasia. I started Audio Design producing a range of PA amplifiers, active crossovers, graphic equalisers and mixing desks for the pub, club and theatre market throughout Australia. Our equipment was used in many of the top discos throught Australia and our Disco Mixer was the preferred choice of DJs even in competitors' systems.

Since then I have worked as a Maintenance Electronics Engineer on oil rigs from Derby to Bass Strait, as Supervising Engineer for the installation of PA, MATV and security in the Amir's palace in Doha, QATAR, and then as a consultant designer to Madrigal ( makers of Mark Levinson) in CT, USA.

I then started Eidetic Audio Research on my return and produced the standout Eidetic GB1 and 2 pre and power amp combination which was very well received throughout Australia and exported some to Singapore. These were well reviewed in Australian Hi Fi, and I gave a guest lectures to the MAC ad Qld chapter of the IREE Audio Group.

The designs were based on my research article " Distorting Power Supplies" published in Wireless World (Dec 1990).

Since then I moved to a consultant designer position for Magnet Audio in Bangkok, Thailand and lived in suburban Bangkok, which my wife hated. We returned to Australia as I was in ill health and undiagnosed. My designs won Magnet great acclaim at the Bangkok International Audio Show and the notice of a couple of US Hi End manufacturers one of which used the PR9R (folded cascode line stage) and 300F (200W/ch power amp) designs in their TAS 'Golden Ear' award winning products.

2 1/2 yeas ago while helping out DIYers on DIYAudio online I developed a novel amp design exploiting the unique characteristics of vertical MOSFETs and have since been refining the design and offerring them in kit form for DIYers. For more on this you only need google SKA and Greg Ball..

I will certainly try to be a little more active on StereoNet:cool:

Cheers,

Greg B.

Welcome Greg

Fascinating bio!

Look forward to reading more from you in the future

**wow - what's witht he massive pic in my profile - can a mod shrink that mofo?

Whoa - that's the biggest icon I ever did see...

cheers

2sheds

Welcome Greg

Fascinating bio!

Look forward to reading more from you in the future

**wow - what's witht he massive pic in my profile - can a mod shrink that mofo?

Glad you don't have a JBL Paragon...

cheers

2sheds

thanks for the welcome guys.

Hi Grumpy,

Yep. my thyroid gave up. Now I take HRT :) And, most importantly can metabolize a beer again.:P

Hi Coem,

Yes I've been so busy with the new projects and my Forum that I've only made it to a few. Saw a favourable review of that KingRex on TNT recently -

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/kingrext20_e.html

Hi Andythiing. This is my latest project I hope to be taking to RMAF later in the year -

http://ska-audio.com/Forum/Attachments/GB150D_case_lid_off.JPG

cheers,

Greg

Hi All,

2 1/2 yeas ago while helping out DIYers on DIYAudio online I developed a novel amp design exploiting the unique characteristics of vertical MOSFETs and have since been refining the design and offerring them in kit form for DIYers. For more on this you only need google SKA and Greg Ball..

Yeah, checked these out the other day. Amps look like amazing value. Funky site, too...

cheers

2sheds