Turntable Advice

Hi I have just signed up here and very pleased to have found such a wonderful site. I have had my set up for nearly 6 year's now never had a problem. I have

NAD 352 integrated amp

NAD C555 turntable

Energy C7 floor speakers

I have been looking into upgrading the parts of my turntable. I've seen a company called ISOKINETIK make quality parts for rega TT's including the P2 which should be compatible with my C555. Has anyone done this themselves or can anyone help with some advice if this is even worthwhile doing so?

Edited by Josh83

I would send off an email to company's who sell the products you are interested in and ask them.

I see here at the bottom of the page it says compatible with Nad 533. Not sure how close yours is to the original rega's.

http://groovetracer.com/subplatter_groovetracer.htm

Quote from page

Groovetracer® subplatters are compatible with these turntable models:
Rega Planar 2, 3, 25 & Rega P1, P2, P3, Rega P3-24, P5, Rega RP1 and RP3.
Nad 533, Goldring, and Moth Alamo

I believe the 533 is virtually a direct replacement of my C555 model. I guess where I'm at is I'm looking to spend a bit of money on my TT to upgrade it and I'm asking how would my money be best spent?. I'm thinking to start around $400 or $500 is my budget. I'm just not sure if an acrylic platter and an alloy sub platter will give me a noticeable difference compared to putting that money towards a new tonearm.

Ok so after doing some research the NAD C555 is indeed a rebadged Rega P2. It comes stock with the RB250 tonearm what I was thinking of upgrading was the cheap plastic sub platter and the mdf platter. Unfortunately upgrading to a new TT is not a possibility for me at the moment.

Ok so after doing some research the NAD C555 is indeed a rebadged Rega P2. It comes stock with the RB250 tonearm what I was thinking of upgrading was the cheap plastic sub platter and the mdf platter. Unfortunately upgrading to a new TT is not a possibility for me at the moment.

Then be patient and save your money, the wait will be worth it it IMO.    :) 

• Like 1

If my budget was a $1000 for a new TT what is the best value for money. I'm guessing most would say a P3 any thoughts on the TD 235? I have read some bad reviews on the TD 295 mk v. Just weighing up all my options any advice is appreciated.

If my budget was a $1000 for a new TT what is the best value for money. I'm guessing most would say a P3 any thoughts on the TD 235? I have read some bad reviews on the TD 295 mk v. Just weighing up all my options any advice is appreciated.

As you are in Qld, why not talk to Decibel HiFi?.  As well as a heap of different Pro-Jects, Brian has a Rek-O-Cut CVS16 if you are keeping the cartridge you have or a CVS14 for $825, which gives you a couple of hundred to buy a cartridge (say, an AudioTechnica or an Ortofon).

Regards,

Andy

I've had a look over his site seems to have a lot of different stuff. I'm all over the place with different alternatives at the moment I think firstly I'm just going to start saving and keep researching. The clearaudio concept had really caught my eye also and that is another step up in price again so I think I'm best to start saving and see how I go.

So easy to day buy a better TT when it's not your money. Personally if you are likely to go buy another TT and start upgrading then why not just upgrade what you have. I started with a RP3 and now have spent another $800 on upgrades with more to come.

I would if you decide to keep what you have is to do the subplatter, I would buy the Groovetracer, buy a second hand glass Rega platter and a cork mat, then think about a motor upgrade if you can.

You could easily do the subplatter, glass platter and cork mat and still have change for a cartridge

The TT-PSU, subplatter and acrylic platter from Groovetracer, want to do the dual pulley and run two white belts and Groovetracer counterweight and it should be just about right, apart from a cartridge upgrade and maybe a better phono stage.

I could have saved and bought a better turntable I guess but then I wouldn't have been listening to vinyl for the past three months while I was still saving. This way I got a TT and can do upgrades when money allows. Quite happy with it now. The upgrades have certainly opened the sound up and tightened the bass and treble considerably from standard, the acrylic platter made the sound more neutral to me too

Edited by keitha

I looked into the groovetracer products I was considering the deluxe sub platter and the delrin platter. I want to upgrade to a better cartridge also and I wasn't sure about new isolation feet as a possibility down the track.

Another thing to think about seriously if you do decide to upgrade the TT you have is the 24v motor upgrade then using the TT-PSU.

This is where you have to decide whether to save more and get a newer one or do this one in stages. Add it up and see if you want to do all the upgrades or would rather buy a better turntable and not tinker with it.

I have a 93 era rega planar 3 with rb300 arm and a lot more recent (2006 i think) rega elyse cartridge. Neither have have seen alot of use.

I have decided and ordered a groove tracer deluxe sub platter and acrylic platter.

Will report back when fitted. I'm also tempted to do a arm rewire and the 24 volt motor upgrade but bit at a time I think

Sometimes I wonder for the money I spent modifying my Rega P3-24, it'd been better spent buying a TT in a higher price bracket. But, I've had a lot of fun upgrading my P3-24, and it helped me learn a lot about it. And I think, if I bought a RP6 or even an RP8, I'd still get an itch eventually to chuck on a delrin platter or a underslung counterweight...and that's on top of trying different carts.

cafe67, let us know your impressions with your Groovetracer upgrades.

The groovetracer subplatter and delrin platter would be $538 posted. The 24v motor upgrade would be $300, the psu would be $350. So at $1188 for that I could get a p3 which I don't think is much of an upgrade for that money the p6 is a different story at about $1600 less the cart.

Sometimes I wonder for the money I spent modifying my http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/13508-show-us-your-turntables/?p=845933'>Rega P3-24, it'd been better spent buying a TT in a higher price bracket. But, I've had a lot of fun upgrading my P3-24, and it helped me learn a lot about it. And I think, if I bought a RP6 or even an RP8, I'd still get an itch eventually to chuck on a delrin platter or a underslung counterweight...and that's on top of trying different carts.

cafe67, let us know your impressions with your Groovetracer upgrades.

Will ordered it on the 8th, arrived in Australia (presumably east coast) where it seems to have taken its time to arrive here in Perth today. Haven't opened box yet but very well packaged.