LG OLED TV Call Back

Earlier in July: Korea

LG has initiated a voluntary recall program in South Korea to offer free repair of some OLED TVs from 2016 to 2019, according to Yonhap. It is investigating TVs sold in other markets too.

Overheating OLED TVs

LG believes that approximately 60000 OLED TVs sold have a bad component that could under some circumstances lead to issues, of which 22000 have been fixed already. It impacts 65 and 77-inch models – but apparently not 55-inch models – from the 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 generations (full list below).

It is not the actual OLED panel that is overheating but rather a power board component, according to LG. The report from South Korea's Yonhap news agency noted that the "power boards carry the risk of current overflow after performance degradation of a current-controlling component".

Source: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1595392863

Latest: China

日前,乐金电子(中国)有限公司按照《消费品召回管理暂行规定》的要求,向国家市场监督管理总局报告了召回计划,将自即日起,召回2016年5月至2019年9月期间制造的LG品牌电视,

具体来说,有OLED65C7、 OLED65E7、 OLED65W7、 OLED65E6、 OLED65G6、 OLED77G6、 OLED77W7、 OLED77W8、OLED65W8、 OLED65W9、 OLED77C8、 OLED77W9、 OLED77C9共计13个型号的OLED电视机,涉及数量为9434台。

根据通知,本次召回范围内的OLED电视机,由于用于消除输入电源中杂质干扰的电容器(X-Cap)单品质量问题,引起电源板内的电流增加,从而引发过热问题。

特殊情况下,能会使电视机背板局部熏黑或熔融。

Source: https://finance.sina.com.cn/tech/2020-09-27/doc-iivhvpwy9080147.shtml

Affected LG OLED TV models

2016 models: OLED65E6, OLED65G6, OLED77G6

2017 models: OLED65B7, OLED65C7, OLED65E7, OLED65G7, OLED65W7, OLED77G7, OLED77W7

2018 models: OLED65G8, OLED65W8, OLED77C8, OLED77W8

2019 models: OLED65W9, OLED77B9, OLED77C9, OLED77W9

Will Singapore customers affected too?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LG called and arranged to come to my place to replace the power board last year on my 65C7.  My friend's same model LG also had his replaced. I wonder if the above is the same 'recall'.

If never been a problem on the tv but they contact you instead, if should be the similar concern as reported.

Guest durianlover88

After recently changing the graphic card and OLED screen....today got a message on the TV asking to get the power board change. Arrangement made for tomorrow PM for the power board change....used to find the sound bar of the W7 very hot to the touch....now I know why.....phone agent mentioned the new board is supposed to have less noise and heat and more efficient.

I eber measure the noise generated when TV is switched on....adding about 400mV of noise to the power distributor (kicked-back noise from internal SMPS). Hopefully the noise get reduced...

I posted in the LG OLED thread, that LG sent team to my house to check on my E6 in Sept last year. They claim it is a service for "premier" models. And guess what, they replaced the power board, reason being it's near end of life.

Now we know the real reason.....

Guest durianlover88

Power Board changed....measured kickback noise dropped from near 400mV to 130mV....it is a drastic reduction!

LG men mentioned there are 4000+ units to change....better book your slot fast....the drastic kickback noise reduction is already good to go for it asap...

Guest durianlover88

Wall mounted tougher to change...unlike opening up the W7 soundbar, much easier.....they need to unmount the TV...I was told.

Enjoying the TV now....much much less noise....more musical, clear, and naunced sonics. My mission completed...fixing the power and noise....the overall noise was down from original 1400mV 6 weeks ago to now 72mV with the TV switched on...

Wall mounted tougher to change...unlike opening up the W7 soundbar, much easier.....they need to unmount the TV...I was told.

Enjoying the TV now....much much less noise....more musical, clear, and naunced sonics. My mission completed...fixing the power and noise....the overall noise was down from original 1400mV 6 weeks ago to now 72mV with the TV switched on...

oh.... so u saw a TV power noise improvement?

Guest durianlover88

Power Board changed....measured kickback noise dropped from near 400mV to 130mV....it is a drastic reduction!

LG men mentioned there are 4000+ units to change....better book your slot fast....the drastic kickback noise reduction is already good to go for it asap...

Yep

They did a repair for my LG TV previously and mine is also wall mounted. They only sent a guy down and he was trying to unmount the 65 inches alone. Thankfully, I was around and offer to help. Usually, my maid is around so I leave it to her.

Two guys from LG popped by yesterday, swapped out the wall mounted TVs power board in less than 20mins, like pros !

Very good service from LG

The second good thing is, the engineers working in LG is also very knowledgeable , they solved all my questions, I gave them a hard time but they were very patient

The third thing is, the dynamic tone mapping on the LG is ????

LG all the way !!

Two guys from LG popped by yesterday, swapped out the wall mounted TVs power board in less than 20mins, like pros !

Very good service from LG

The second good thing is, the engineers working in LG is also very knowledgeable , they solved all my questions, I gave them a hard time but they were very patient

The third thing is, the dynamic tone mapping on the LG is ????

LG all the way !!

Good to hear that.