What is the most you've paid for a second hand record?

$300 for original '96 Aenima. Gatefold in pretty good condition, few tears in the inner sleeves, but LP's are in great condition. Have seen it go for a lot higher! And totally worth it, for myself. Between all the bootlegs and copies of this LP, I was glad to find a proper one, in Australia. 

I paid around sixty clams each for the following

Sunn o))) - flight of the behemoth

the grimmrobe demos

zappa - cruising with Reuben and the jets

shut up and play yer guitar (3 x lp)

pretty sure that's the most I've ever paid second hand, fair prices all, some bargains from my experience

• Like 1

Albert Ayler - Spiritual Unity (silkscreened red cover ESP Disk' mono LP) I'm not sure how much I paid, but it was plenty.

Rowland S. Howard - Teenage Snuff Film (original black vinyl LP on Radio One)

Some Evan Parker LPs, some Derek Bailey stuff, some Japanese free jazz LPs and Peter Brotzmann Octet - Machine Gun on FMP. It is a later release, but still it goes for a lot of money.

Everything was worth it, for me! Elissa on the other hand has some doubts about it... :D

Paid  Euro $60 + $25 shipping fee for Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92 2006 Re-issued from discogs. Supposed to be mint but arrived with cover looked old and torn, not sure if this count? The record looked never played.

Sounds great, great reissue and love it!

Edited by Y B

$90 for Mark Lanegan: I'll Take Care Of You

$85 for Jimi Hendrix: Blues  (Limited edition pressed on 200 gram Quiex SV-P vinyl)

And I have many many albums, ( particularly jazz ) that I have paid between $50 and $70. Mostly Miles Davis first pressings, or japanese editions.

Just last week I paid $65 for a long out of print japanese free jazz album from discogs. 

Have bought two sealed copies of Rowland S. Howard's Teenage Snuff Film for $212 and $260

And a 200 gram Quiex Led Zep's Physical Graffitti for about $220.

Wow. Glad I got the great sounding repress of Teenage Snuff Film.  :P

But originals are the way to go if possible so I see why you did.

Wow. Glad I got the great sounding repress of Teenage Snuff Film.  :P

But originals are the way to go if possible so I see why you did.

When they were on ebay for around $100, I was like "you must be f*cking joking"... six months later I was happy to pay over $200 just to get a copy :P I bought two, simply because it's one of my top 5 favourite albums... ever.

Edited by Jesco

Sealed copy of "live"Throwing Copper. $150.00

Wow. You see the CD for $1 or so all over the place. You must really love this album.

When I was a lad back in the 80s I would buy new LPs, usually $12.99 each, but I think the most expensive one I bought was a new Yessongs triple LP that was $26.99. In today's money that must be the equivalent of $60. Crazy.

I think the only recent LP that has cost me non-trivial money was a nice copy of Julie London's first LP from the mid 1950s. Great music, mono, and a lovely cover, suitable for framing. It was around $15, I think. I just don't have the desire to pay that much for any LP or CD when there's so much other great music to be found for much less.

edit: I forgot that I bought the new Kraftwerk reissues on LP, which were around $35 each.

--Geoff

Edited by hired goon

Wow. You see the CD for $1 or so all over the place. You must really love this album.

When I was a lad back in the 80s I would buy new LPs, usually $12.99 each, but I think the most expensive one I bought was a new Yessongs triple LP that was $26.99. In today's money that must be the equivalent of $60. Crazy.

I think the only recent LP that has cost me non-trivial money was a nice copy of Julie London's first LP from the mid 1950s. Great music, mono, and a lovely cover, suitable for framing. It was around $15, I think. I just don't have the desire to pay that much for any LP or CD when there's so much other great music to be found for much less.

--Geoff

Yay! I was waiting for the post when someone would come on poo pooing the idea of people spending money on collectable records that they always wanted to own. There is of course that mention of there being so much more music to be found for less money. I knew it wouldn't be long.

You should pop to the speaker forum and join the group piling on the expensive Wilson thread.

Edited by Hergest

--Geoff

Yay! I was waiting for the post when someone would come on poo pooing the idea of people spending money on collectable records that they always wanted to own. There is of course that mention of there being so much more music to be found for less money. I knew it wouldn't be long.

You should pop to the speaker forum and join the group piling on the expensive Wilson thread.

Bit harsh there I think.

Sometimes I wish I adopted Geoff's music buying habits, and I didn't see his post as a criticism of others spending.

• Like 1

Yay! I was waiting for the post when someone would come on poo pooing the idea of people spending money on collectable records that they always wanted to own.

Not poo-pooing, although what I wrote does seem a bit snarky in retrospect, which wasn't my intention. I'm still surprised by music that seems to be casually tossed aside by so many people is worth so much to a few others in a different format. I offer no opinions on prices someone would pay for the music they love.

--Geoff

Glad to see many others have spent up as I have so I am not mad. The amount one can spend on a record is really only limited by your desire and means. If you want to spend $30k on a record there are LP's out there rare and desirable enough to satisfy your craving! Most i have spent on a single LP is probably ~$120, biggest single purchase is my Classic Records Led Zeppelin 45rpm road case which was $3300 about 3 years ago. That purchase still makes me smile so it was money well spent

Cheers

mondie

• Like 1

--Geoff

Bit harsh there I think.

Sometimes I wish I adopted Geoff's music buying habits, and I didn't see his post as a criticism of others spending.

Agreed. A bit sensitive there.

Like Geoff, I'm a cheap ar$e :P so I always shop around for the cheapest copy regardless of format. I will make an exception for something special though, a favourite artist or album.

I just bought a vinyl copy of Coroner - Grin, which in my opinion is one of the greatest heavy metal albums ever made, and is practically unknown to the majority of punters. It is pretty rare and I paid the going rate of $120. Too much it would seem as it has a lot of surface noise despite looking pristine. Hopefully she comes up alright with a good clean. Pretty disappointing seeing as I have been holding off for years and finally decided to pull the trigger.